PDA

View Full Version : HD Instance Clipmap Crowd Question....

-EsHrA-
07-01-2009, 08:04 AM
My task is to create a large crowd for a dutch movie and im investigating some solutions...

Probably it will be done in C4D but it involves allot of hand work and then i thought of HD Instance since LW is my main package! :)

The deal:

We have lots of studio footage of people doing their movements in place on bluescreen, some groups and some individuals, these movements can be looped.

I can see how to use the offset feature of HD Instance with animation cycles of actual 3d models.. but .. is it possible to offset the footage loop stuck to a plane (clipmap idea)... ?!..

This way i could instance the clipmap plane each with offset of the filmed footage...

possible??..

any other insights??..

The main problem with C4D is that i can't offset the looping footage...
so each clipmapped plane has the identical footage cycle without offset.

thanks in advance!

mlon

-EsHrA-
07-01-2009, 09:15 AM
hmm.. so in a way it isnt a HD Instance question but need for an offset animation node or similar :)..

mlon

Red_Oddity
07-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Maybe a node setup that uses an object ID as frame offset.
Not sure if this would work with HD instance since HD Instance is a volumetric plugin.
But then again, rendering a couple of hundred poly planes could be done in native LW.

07-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Think you may have a basic problem with that many overlapping planes with clipmaps anyway, I have up on HD instancing trees with clip mapped (or transparency mapped ) leaves because of that.

dpont
07-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Image Map node, in DP Kit, mimics the LW Image node,
with a Frame input for Image Sequence, did you try it?

Denis.

-EsHrA-
07-02-2009, 09:23 AM
thanks for the replies!

i havent tried your image map node denis but i will.
will let you know if it works out also the object ID i will look into.

mlon

Mr Rid
07-02-2009, 12:48 PM
May also map the sequence clips onto sprites with a random frame offset. The sprites will function just like little cards.

Red_Oddity
07-02-2009, 04:45 PM
May also map the sequence clips onto sprites with a random frame offset. The sprites will function just like little cards.

Yeah, but the Hypervoxel sprite mode always makes sprites round for some reason, and the further a sprite is away from the center of the view the more the image gets strange 'offsets', at least, that was the last times i did some thorough testing.

Mr Rid
07-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah, but the Hypervoxel sprite mode always makes sprites round for some reason, and the further a sprite is away from the center of the view the more the image gets strange 'offsets', at least, that was the last times i did some thorough testing.

I have not experienced those problems(?). It ought to work.

Mr Rid
07-17-2009, 03:08 PM
Years ago I saw someone use clip mapped sprites to fill a stadium with cheering crowds in LW7.

But here is an example of how you may map an image sequence in sprites. This uses a single, 120 frame, looping animation sequence of a tumbling 'oat.' The sequence is then mapped on sprites with a random Frame Offset. With sprites set to 'Show Particles' the image sequence offset will not be represented in the display, but it shows in Viper.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/r8ymb6o4sq.mov

Another similar example with shattering glass-
http://www.box.net/shared/static/7lacsk44m9.mov