PDA

View Full Version : why the #@*& does modeler continually jump to the foreground?

eblu
06-30-2009, 12:12 PM
I've got modeler and layout running, everything is peachy.
In layout, I go to help/table of contents/

modeler jumps to the foreground.
I switch back to the help app, modeler jumps to the foreground.
I switch to photoshop, Modeler jumps to the foreground.
I check my email, same.
I switch to safari, same.

why is modeler doing this?
this it some sort of elephant gun solution to some interface nightmare in modeler?
is modeler falling apart?

Scazzino
06-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Not only modeler... Layout annoyingly does this while loading scenes... On a long scene load it will keep jumping to the foreground, switching from whichever space I'm in at the moment back to the one one Layout is in...

On really long scene loads that take a few minutes it is quite annoying... :twak:

It's really nice when you're right in the middle of typing something in another App, then BAM watch Layout load this scene instead...

toby
06-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Oh JEEZ I hate that, lw doesn't do it (10.4.11 ppc) but Photosnob does it 3-4 times during startup! "F:censored: OFF" I yell at the screen. One thing I've always liked about osx is you can usually start processes and go about your business somewhere else. Maybe I don't want a new 8 core :grumpy:

eblu
06-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I forgot the worst part...
not only does it grab the screen, immediately throwing whatever you were doing in the background... it THEN makes you wait, for... sometimes a minute or 2... while it tries to figure out what it should be doing.
Layout just did that.

makes it impossible to run layout or modeler at the same time I run anything else.

JEEZ! I'd like to multitask now!

toby
06-30-2009, 02:50 PM
You mean the 'puter freezes?? And this is with no hub?

eblu
06-30-2009, 02:54 PM
no. I mean... no matter what you want to do...
Layout or modeler, jump to the front. repeatedly.

oh, were you typing an email to your ailing grandma? too bad.
you don't have a choice buddy, you are going to look at layout.

(addendum) oh, to the question... Layout and modeler do something extremely time consuming when you switch away and then back again. no refresh, you get a spinning beach ball, and you wait. it comes back, but annoyingly, criminally... slow. yes I am running the hub. I have been given assurances from all sources NT that the hub is fixed, I will give it a fair shake.

Mr Rid
06-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Is this a Mac thing? Never seen this happen before.

Scazzino
06-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes...

On the Mac LW should use the normal notification of bouncing the icon in the dock when it needs attention, but it often just grabs focus and jumps to the foreground instead.

eblu
07-01-2009, 08:22 AM
and like every interface oddity of LW... this is Inconsistent, so theres no way to reproduce it reliably. grrrrrrrr...

Scazzino
07-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Some cases have been fixed. Like when a render finishes it bounces in the dock.

It's just that there are still some cases when it grabs focus. I encounter it mostly when loading large scenes that take a few minutes. I'll start to load a scene and switch to another space (http://www.macworld.com/article/60693/2007/10/leopard_spaces.html) to do some work. Then LW will grab focus switching back to its space and interrupting what I was doing. It does this over and over while the scene is loading... my screen keeps wiping back and forth as I try to wrestle back to the space I was working on... it's kinda funny actually, like a battle of wills...

Kuzey
07-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Layout usually jumps to the front as I press the render button and then tab into another program.

If I were to guess, it might be something with the pre-render processes, it seems to happen to complex scenes that require a lot of calculations before actually starting the render. Simple scenes don't exhibit the same behavior...as far as I can tell.

Kuzey

eblu
07-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Kuzey,
it happened yesterday when I launched the help viewer. I was in layout, launched the help viewer, and modeler started grabbing the focus. I'd switch back to the help viewer, and be immediately treated to modeler again. it didn't stop till I force quit modeler.

I believe that this Amazingly Counter intuitive and Illegal behavior has its origin in the render status window, as LW has its own Wrong, and hardcoded window behavior system, and when a render is done, LW grabs focus... but THAT behavior has been replaced with the bouncy icon. This HAS to be some dumb, ancient, orphaned code, that is riddled throughout the app, That after someone fixed something else, disturbed this mess.

(holy [email protected]!!!! it just did it to me AGAIN!!!)
I was Just Now, rendering in the background. LW finished, I get the bouncy Icon, switch to it, in order to allow it to settle down, and switch to Aftereffects to preview the image sequence (already loaded, just a quick reload) Bam! sorry buddy, YOU are going to look at LAYOUT now. Again. Again. Aga- force-quit.

this is unbelievable.

Kuzey
07-01-2009, 04:38 PM
That's really bad....I never had to force quit either of the apps, usually when Modeler or Layout jumps to the front...I just don't touch it for a few seconds until it settles in a bit and then I tab back out.

Thinking about it now, it could also have something to do with the hub. If it's happening to both Modeler and Layout then it has to be the hub, since it keeps track of what is happening in both apps...if an object is updated/changed or if a render has started or finished etc.

I hope they fixed it in the hot fix update.

Kuzey

robert_Lavigne
07-20-2009, 12:20 AM
I realize this is a bit of a dead topic now, but I just stumbled upon it. I personally don't have this problem but I have an idea that might work, though its hard to test when nothing is wrong(Knock on wood). Try setting up spaces, in your system preferences, and then using modeler and layout in one space, and everything else on a separate one. What this is doing is giving you multiple desktops that you can switch between with a preset key. I'm guessing, but can't promise that even if layout or modeler jumps to the front that it will only do it on this separate desktop and won't interfere with your current work. Hope this helps.

OlaHaldor
07-20-2009, 04:20 AM
I've always had Layout and Modeler share the same space, and haven't encountered the problems you mention here. Whether the spaces thing actually helps or not is mysterious. I feel sorry for you guys having this kind of problems. I've had similar ones on Windows during gaming sessions - as I'm about to win the whole battle of some fancy WW2 campaign, the game just suddenly minimize to the taskbar and I lose. Not only the game, but also the temper.. Thank God I don't have a wireless mouse and keyboard, or else they would've been thrown away a few times.

Scazzino
07-20-2009, 07:37 AM
I've always had Layout and Modeler share the same space, and haven't encountered the problems you mention here. Whether the spaces thing actually helps or not is mysterious. I feel sorry for you guys having this kind of problems. I've had similar ones on Windows during gaming sessions - as I'm about to win the whole battle of some fancy WW2 campaign, the game just suddenly minimize to the taskbar and I lose. Not only the game, but also the temper.. Thank God I don't have a wireless mouse and keyboard, or else they would've been thrown away a few times.

There are definitely issues with spaces. Try loading a scene that takes a long time to load (a few minutes) into layout. Switch spaces while it's loading... LW will keep switching spaces back... Try starting to make a long preview and switch spaces. When LW finishes the contents of the preview will appear in whichever space you're in, without the rest of the window...

eblu
07-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Grrr... This is all probably due to the Non Standard window behavior LW uses. They break all the free, stock behaviors, and screw up stuff down stream. I've been asking for Standard windows, and interfaces that are more adherent to the native OS for years.

call this BS exhibit 2034.

Iaian7
07-20-2009, 08:50 AM
I have this issue to, mostly when I'm rendering in Layout - if I accidentally switch spaces and bring Modeler back to the front, it'll often force me back to Layout, then when I try to select Layout, it'll jump me back to modeler. I've even see this bounce back and forth a few times. Incredibly annoying! Only way to fix it is to quit running Lightwave. :(

Scazzino
07-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Hopefully the new CORE GUI will be more Mac OS X standards based.