PDA

View Full Version : Silo near-dead in the water

Phil
06-30-2009, 08:29 AM
There's been little movement on bug fixes, so it's not hugely surprising, but still, it's disappointing to read that Silo seems now to be an even lower priority, despite much prior hype about features and changes to come :

http://silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=110539#post110539

cresshead
06-30-2009, 08:42 AM
i'd say they've reached their design goal for silo..so just tweeks and fixes..they obviously dropped the idea of competing toe to toe in the sculpting arena with mudbox, zbrush, modo etc.

Phil
06-30-2009, 09:01 AM
It's still buggy, which is all that I've been waiting to see get addressed.

Matt
06-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Maybe no one is buying it anymore?

Shame, I liked the 'lightness' of it. Not that I ever used it!

(Edit: Wonder if this thread will get closed as fast as 'recent' ones? It's a competing app no?)

Nicolas Jordan
06-30-2009, 10:06 AM
It is a good modeling program and especially a good companion program for Maya users. I tried out the trial version and liked it but never really had a need for it since Lightwave modeler combined with LWCAD is robust enough for almost any modeling task I encounter.

borkus
06-30-2009, 11:08 AM
I'll join in agreeing that I was initially excited about Silo. I used it quite a bit in the beginning. I bought the license while it was still 1.4. But, when Silo 2 came out, there were a lot of bugs that really irked me, to say the least. It was exciting to see some of the new features, but half of them either didn't work correctly or at all. The opengl of that program was awful on this computer. Some said that they didn't have those issues. But, like Nicolas said. After getting frustrated with Silo, it made me sit down and finally learn Modeller. Something I should have done from the beginning. I do miss some of the tools from Silo, but everyday I find more and more alternatives or even better, better workflows to do what I want in modeller better than I could in Silo. Pity, as I always like to see small companies come about and make waves. I, unfortunately, don't see myself using that product anymore.

jasonwestmas
06-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Silo? What's that? ;)

cresshead
06-30-2009, 11:47 AM
i bought silo 1.4 but never got into it..even wiht the lw skin...seems too slow compared to modeler....though Silo had some good points in it which i hope lightwave core also gets..

Andyjaggy
06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
That's too bad, it could have been a great application.

Captain Obvious
06-30-2009, 12:08 PM
(Edit: Wonder if this thread will get closed as fast as 'recent' ones? It's a competing app no?)
Silo is not a competing application, because it doesn't have anything other than modeling features. It's a complement to Lightwave, rather than a competitor.

Andyjaggy
06-30-2009, 12:35 PM
Is it bad that I now just want to start a new M&%* thread everyday. :)

IMI
06-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Is it bad that I now just want to start a new M&%* thread everyday. :)

Which four-letter M-app are you referring to, M*** or M***?
:D

Andyjaggy
06-30-2009, 02:46 PM
m***.

AdamAvenali
06-30-2009, 02:49 PM
i really like m*** but am not digging m*** so much :D

IMI
06-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Oh...right.. that one.

Well, either way, these days they're both a four-letter word around here. :D

IMI
06-30-2009, 02:51 PM
i really like m*** but am not digging m*** so much :D

You're nuts!
M*** kicks M***'s @ss any day of the week.
And twice on Sundays!

AdamAvenali
06-30-2009, 03:00 PM
And twice on Sundays!

how many times on monday? :)

IMI
06-30-2009, 03:07 PM
how many times on monday? :)

Just once. Mondays are no good for anyone, and even M*** isn't immune to Monday lag. ;)

Matt
06-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Silo is not a competing application, because it doesn't have anything other than modeling features. It's a complement to Lightwave, rather than a competitor.

That depends, on whether you use LightWave _just_ for modelling!

;)

Captain Obvious
07-08-2009, 10:18 AM
That depends, on whether you use LightWave _just_ for modelling!

;)

But who would do such a thing to their own sanity?

jasonwestmas
07-08-2009, 12:11 PM

It's been done in the games industry. I do it some times on certain projects. Of course I can't resist doing some texture baking and previz rendering occasionally.:hey:

JeffrySG
07-08-2009, 10:39 PM
That's too bad, it could have been a great application.

I used to use SILO quite a bit and used to really love it from v.1.4 to v2. I found it to be one of the best SDS modelers around... but they just never added any useful features past v1.4. They never should have added sculpting at all. They should have focused on making it a really great all around modeler and UV-er. I pretty much stopped using it once I switched to LW. I still miss many of the features and workflow of SILO but it's missing so much I never open it anymore.

I always thought it could have been like a modo-light with a really great interface and work flow. I think it would have sold well if they kept the price where it is if they added the right modeling features and tools. A lot of people made some great suggestions on the forums there but every company goes in its own direction. I think they didn't understand the market very well.

Andyjaggy
07-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Yep that about sums it up. I tried using it once, really wanted to like it, but man, there were just so many missing tools. At least for any sort of technical mechanical modeling it just couldn't cut it.

JeffrySG
07-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Yep that about sums it up. I tried using it once, really wanted to like it, but man, there were just so many missing tools. At least for any sort of technical mechanical modeling it just couldn't cut it.

Yepper... That's what I (and some other people) kept asking for. Give us some tools for hard surface modeling (sds and poly). Way too little too late...

Andyjaggy
07-09-2009, 05:22 PM
I Recently found out to the developers live in the same city as me. :) Go figure. Wish I could support them, but it's just not useable for me.

Sarford
07-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, I still use Silo. I think its still the best and fastest modeler out there, especialy for organic modeling (but not limited to that).
I'm extremely disapointed with the news of Nevercenter, and Silo still has quite a few minor bugs, but even with the bugs Silo is a joy to use for me.

JeffrySG
07-09-2009, 08:21 PM
I've been hoping that CORE picks up the best things of the silo workflow. We will see...

archijam
07-10-2009, 03:16 AM

;D

(recently, anyway ..)

cresshead
07-12-2009, 12:03 PM
re silo's future development, well you can say the same as lightwave modeler as that is now at an end and the dev team moved onto another project [core] just as the nevercentre team has with their game tools development.

borkus
07-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Only difference with core is that they are continuing to make a better 3d package. If you aren't a game developer, nevercenter just wrote you off...