PDA

View Full Version : Nerve - Pixologic Action Hero Challenge

CMT
06-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Been a little while since my last post. This piece was done for the Pixologic Hero Challenge a few months back. I just recently finished a nice ZBrush rendering of it. At some point I'd like to bring it into LW for a nice realistic rendering.

Base mesh for the figure was started in LW, but everything else was ZBrush and Photoshop.

Here's the background story which was required for the contest.....

Shane Grissom was a champion UFC fighter and a skilled master in many different types of martial arts. He was especially known for his exploitation of various nerves and pressure points to help incapacitate his opponents. But he also has had a unique condition since birth. He has Congenital Insensitivity to Pain with Anhidrosis (CIPA) , a disorder of the nervous system which means he cannot feel pain. As a side effect of his disorder, Shane could not empathize at all with the pain of others and and came across to many as being insensitive and souless. During his last match, he suffered an irreparable broken elbow which forced him into early retirement. This devastated Shane yet made him realize the existence of the vast void in his soul.

Determined to overcome his self pity, Shane sought to fill the void with wisdom and enlightenment so he journeyed to a remote part of Japan in search of spiritual consult. While there, he became involved with an unknown branch sect of Buddhist monks which existed for a millennia. After living with them for 2 years, Shane learned of the legend of a powerful artifact said to be linked with the spirit of Bishamonten, the god of war and healing. Legend had it that this artifact was guarded by a corridor of fire in a secret temple, and that only the most worthy would be able to retrieve it. The one who retrieved it would be given a fraction of Bishamonten's power and wisdom to bring back to his people. Over time, the monks came to believe that Shane was sent there to retrieve the artifact and to share the knowledge that lied within it.

So Shane took the journey to find the hidden temple. After a year of searching, he found the temple hidden in a canyon behind a massive waterfall. Once inside the temple, he walked through the Corridor of Immolation to retrieve the artifact, a small pagoda, which contained the spirit of Bishamonten. As he took it into his possession with his charred and burnt body, the spirit of Bishamonten sensed a great potential for strength and wisdom in the man and imparted to him a fraction of his knowledge and power for war and healing. A power that when called upon, transforms Shane into a physical war machine of incredible god-like power, strength and wisdom. In this form, he goes by the name of Nerve.....

3DGFXStudios
06-29-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't want to make him angry :D. Really great peace of art!!!

CMT
06-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Also, here's a link to some videos of the early sculpting sessions for anyone who's interested.

http://www.veoh.com/search/videos/q/KrakenCMT

And a few other views of the model in various stages....

UnCommonGrafx
06-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Very nice. Sculpting looks tops and the poses work.

bearfoot
06-30-2009, 04:12 AM
yeah great work.. great sculpting and wonderful final render and composition !

cheers

accom
06-30-2009, 06:37 AM
Great!

But, please, change the font at the bottom! ;)

AdamAvenali
06-30-2009, 08:13 AM
great stuff CMT! would it be possible to see the base mesh you imported into Zbrush? i am always wondering how far to take my base mesh before sculpting.

CMT
06-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Sure! Here's the LW base mesh right after import to ZB.

AdamAvenali
06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
thanks! it's always impressive to see how far a simple base can be taken in a sculpting program. you may have motivated me to open zbrush back up again haha

DrStrik9
07-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Great!

But, please, change the font at the bottom! ;)

LOL! There's a type freak in every crowd. :-) Make that two type freaks.

adamredwoods
07-02-2009, 05:08 PM
You've raised the bar, my friend!

Giacomo99
07-02-2009, 06:49 PM
That is AWESOME!!! I am so jealous!

toby
07-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Impeccable!

IMI
07-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Helluva job CMT, just excellent! :thumbsup: