PDA

View Full Version : Springs

Breed47
06-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Hey!
How would you go about doing this in LightWave?

//Daniel

RudySchneider
06-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Check out William Vaghan's video tutorials (a sticky in the General Techniques & Trcks forum). In particular, this one (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/slinky.mov).

Breed47
06-29-2009, 12:39 AM
ThanxRudy!
That video was awesome. But its not at the Newtek website, right? Among the other Proton videos.
This is a great starting point. Gotta figure out how to animate the spring without loosing its shape. Im working on a machinery in max, but I want to convert it to a Lightwave project. That dynamic spring feature inside max is the only thing I love about that software.

Thanx again!
Daniel

bjornkn
06-29-2009, 05:36 AM
There's also some nice weight map plugins from Ken Nign that makes it easy to make and animate springs: http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=614116b6

Otterman
06-29-2009, 05:44 AM
A simple morph will do the trick also-heres a tut

Breed47
06-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Thanx guys!
Been looking at all your tips. This is what Im looking for:

http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/spring.php

Unfortunally I suck at installing plugins. Especially without any decent instructions. Havnt got it working yet.

bjornkn
06-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Installing plugins is a bit clumsy,because it is a 2-step process (at least).
Make a folder named Extra inside your plugins folder and drop the plugin(s) inside it.
LW by default now scans and loads all the plugins automatically if they are in the plugins path.
The next step is to add the new plugins to your interface, because by default they end up on the long list of "additional". Edit menu layout and add the new plugins to for instance the Utilities tab menu, or wherever you want it.
I haven't used that spring plugin. It looks a bit limited compred to the Nugn weight map plugins, but if it does your job you should be fine?

Breed47
06-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Wonderful! Thanx bjornkn. Got it working. Works perfectly in modeler. Now I get an error in layout. Bad value something. Gonna check it out tomorrow. Bedtime. Goodnight!

Breed47
07-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Ok! Now I got Weight Extend prefectly working. I tried yesterday putting a bone inside to control the spring, but it distorts the spring mesh. In Ken Nigns video tutorial, he tells us that animation in Layout will come later in another tutorial. Anyone knows if he made one yet? Been searching the net without positive result.

bjornkn
07-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Just make a few endomorphs, and Morph mixer in Layout.

Breed47
07-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I dont think I have the patience to struggle with any other options right now.
Thanx bjornkn!

bjornkn
07-01-2009, 08:07 AM
It's easy to do it with a bone too. Like in this attached Scene/Object file, with a single bone controlling the spring with the weightmap only..
Like in this animated GIF

Breed47
07-03-2009, 02:55 AM
I got it working! Thanx bjornkn. To me this is much easier to control than morphing.
Im gradually changing from max to LW, and this was my biggest concern.