PDA

View Full Version : DVEs for Overlays

Merick1209
06-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Yes, yes - it's not what they are intended for & normally I don't use them, but...

I was looking through the DVEs in SpeedEdit and found the 3D "transition" elements there. I found one (the lazer one, I forget the exact name) that looked like it would be interesting to have "introduce" (i.e. transition) just the ID Overlay for a talking head, but haven't been able to find a way to make it work. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
George

billmi
06-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Sure.

A DVE can't be applied to a layer that has transparency, but the effect is still easy to pull off.

Copy your talking head clip, and make a sub-project of the talking head with the overlay. With the subproject and the original clip lined up vertically, place the edit line where you want to start the overlay and razor cut both (c key) then do the same where you want the overlay to end. Throw away the clips you've now created and won't use. You should end up with three clips in a row - talking head - subproject - talking head. Now place wipe or fade style DVE's between them. Since the only difference between the talking head clip and the subproject is the overlay, the DVE will reveal then conceal the overlay.

Merick1209
06-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks Bill! It worked great! :D