PDA

View Full Version : PLG UV Tools Not Working?

Shuggs
06-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi.

I've been trying to get the PLG UV unwrapping tools to work but I'm having no luck. When I click 'Make UV' in the PLG_Make_UV_Edit plug-in it doesn't do anything. I've clicked Reset/Activate and also uninstalled the plug-ins. I've run out of options.

Matt
06-27-2009, 09:18 PM
Works fine for me on XP 32 bit and on Vista 64 Bit, you do have one of the viewports set to UV view to see it right? Also, you're clicking on the 'Make UV' button in the Numeric panel?

Shuggs
06-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Yup. I've done all of that. When I click on 'Make UV' nothing happens. Aboslutely nothing.

IMI
06-27-2009, 09:39 PM
I have no idea what to tell you, as it works fine for me too, but one option whenever LW gets weird is to delete your configs and let LW rebuild them.

Shuggs
06-27-2009, 10:03 PM
I have no idea what to tell you, as it works fine for me too, but one option whenever LW gets weird is to delete your configs and let LW rebuild them.

And how would I go about this?

IMI
06-27-2009, 10:44 PM
The LW .cfg (configuration) files are in your users folder, such as C:\Users\your user name in Windows Vista and Windows 7. In XP it would be in Documents and Settings. No idea what the Mac equivalent would be.

You'll have files such as "LW9.CFG", "LWM9.CFG" and so on. They'll all start with "LW" and on 64 bit will have "-64" appended to the file names. You can delete those and LW will rebuild them when started and closed again. Alot of problems can be solved by deleting configs, as they can get corrupted from time to time.

Warning though - deleting your configs will also remove all your custom keyboard shortcuts, menus and so on, setting everything back to default, so it's really only a last ditch effort. However, the menus and keyboard shortcuts can be saved out as separate files and be reloaded later through their associated edit panels for each. Alt+F9 and Alt+F10 to open each, in both Layout and Modeler.

I won't swear this will solve your problem, but it might. So don't yell at me if it doesn't work. ;)

Shuggs
06-28-2009, 08:22 AM
The LW .cfg (configuration) files are in your users folder, such as C:\Users\your user name in Windows Vista and Windows 7. In XP it would be in Documents and Settings. No idea what the Mac equivalent would be.

You'll have files such as "LW9.CFG", "LWM9.CFG" and so on. They'll all start with "LW" and on 64 bit will have "-64" appended to the file names. You can delete those and LW will rebuild them when started and closed again. Alot of problems can be solved by deleting configs, as they can get corrupted from time to time.

Warning though - deleting your configs will also remove all your custom keyboard shortcuts, menus and so on, setting everything back to default, so it's really only a last ditch effort. However, the menus and keyboard shortcuts can be saved out as separate files and be reloaded later through their associated edit panels for each. Alt+F9 and Alt+F10 to open each, in both Layout and Modeler.

I won't swear this will solve your problem, but it might. So don't yell at me if it doesn't work. ;)

I'll give it a try! This may explain why it's been horribly slow, too. At one point I had no problem working with a lot of polygons and all of a sudden it started to chugg. Let's hope this clears up a lot of issue! Thanks!

Shuggs
06-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I still get absolutely nothing. I've uninstalled Lightwave completely, deleted the config files, removed and installed the plug-ins again, and get nothing.

Here's what I do:

1.) Open the model to unwrap
2.) Select the edges
3.) Open the plug-in
4.) Click Make UV

Nothing happens. It works when I select the polygons, but I get absolutely nothing when it's just an edge. I've followed the steps in the Essential Lightwave v.9 book, too, and I've gotten nothing to work. I'm running a 32-bit system. It use to work, but I don't know what's happened to it.

IMI
06-28-2009, 12:12 PM
I still get absolutely nothing. I've uninstalled Lightwave completely, deleted the config files, removed and installed the plug-ins again, and get nothing.

Here's what I do:

1.) Open the model to unwrap
2.) Select the edges
3.) Open the plug-in
4.) Click Make UV

Nothing happens. It works when I select the polygons, but I get absolutely nothing when it's just an edge. I've followed the steps in the Essential Lightwave v.9 book, too, and I've gotten nothing to work. I'm running a 32-bit system. It use to work, but I don't know what's happened to it.

I think I have a simple solution for you...
Assuming that's not an error in your order above, you have to open the plugin first and THEN select your edges. Selecting the edges before opening the plugin does nothing, as you've noticed. ;)

gordonrobb
06-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeh, I think you're trying to use it wrong. You make sure you are in poly mode, not point or edge. Then click on the plugin, click 'n' to see the numeric panel. If you want to cut the object up, make sure the 'hide handle' is not ticked, and then click on the little circles to select your edges. You can save this selection which is usefull if our not sure how it will unwrap.

Shuggs
06-28-2009, 12:27 PM
You guys are excellent! That was the problem. I just knew I wasn't doing something right! Haha! Thank you!

IMI
06-28-2009, 12:28 PM
yeah and I just noticed for the first time that if you select, say, a row of polygons and THEN open the Make_UV_Edit plugin and press the make UV button, it will unwrap only that string of polys.
That's probably pretty useful, and I never knew it could do that before just now.

IMI
06-28-2009, 12:29 PM
You're welcome, Shuggs. :)

Matt
06-28-2009, 01:43 PM
But it still works without any edges selected (within the plugin) though?

Philbert
07-02-2009, 03:01 AM
I had a weird problem with it the other day. It was like it was ignoring the edges I selected in Make UV and giving me an atlas map instead.

adrian
07-02-2009, 03:37 AM
I've found that the PLG plugin won't work if a mesh is "enclosed", ie joined at all sides. It simply won't unwrap it, so I have to create two surfaces and unwrap that way.

Only thing is, this method wouldn't work for something like a head. Maybe I'm doing something wrong too??!

IMI
07-02-2009, 04:23 AM
I've found that the PLG plugin won't work if a mesh is "enclosed", ie joined at all sides. It simply won't unwrap it, so I have to create two surfaces and unwrap that way.

Only thing is, this method wouldn't work for something like a head. Maybe I'm doing something wrong too??!

Look at the picture that Matt uploaded in post #2 in this thread. An unwrapped sphere. That's as enclosed as you get. If you create a default LW Sphere and open Make_UV_Edit and select all the edges from one pole to another on one hemisphere, you will get exactly that. If you don't, you are doing something wrong, and that would apply to a head, too.

Dodgy
07-02-2009, 08:10 AM
http://www.lightwiki.com/UV_mapping_with_PLG_tools

For a completely enclosed object you'll need to mark a seam. Imagine trying to unwrap a beach ball without cutting a side.

adrian
07-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Hmmm, checked out the screenshot. All I have under utilities is "plg_MAKE_UV", so I'm guessing I haven't downloaded everything I need.

IMI
07-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Hmmm, checked out the screenshot. All I have under utilities is "plg_MAKE_UV", so I'm guessing I haven't downloaded everything I need.

Well there are other UV tools by PLG (and other plugins for other things too), but each is specialized. You don't need anything other than the "Make_UV_Edit" plugin to make UV maps, but the other plugins do things like pack the UVs into the 0-1 space, or align, or relax and so on.

bazsa73
07-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Strange these tools sometimes behave oddly.

erikals
07-08-2009, 11:21 PM
i think i nailed some of the limitations in plg uv,
please tell if you feel some are wrong or missing,
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100111

adrian
07-29-2009, 04:02 AM
I downloaded the "make_UV_Edit" plugin (didn't have that one before), followed Steve Warner's tutorial and it works like a charm - I can unwrap fully closed objects in a fraction of the time I was able to do it before :D

You still get horrible seams of course but at least now I can choose where to have them. I presume there must be a way of somehow blending two UV maps together so they look as if the texture is seamless?

Philbert
07-29-2009, 07:58 AM
You mean that weird diamond pattern? Make each UV map it's own surface. So you have a head UV and a head surface, torso UV and torso surface, etc.

adrian
07-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Not sure what you mean by "weird diamond pattern".

Say you have an object like a jumper, and the seam is round the back. Would there be a way of somehow blending the two edges so that the seam is less obvious?

Or another example - you have a character but you need to create separate UV objects for the torso and legs - there will be a seam at the edge of each map. So could you blend them somehow?

erikals
07-30-2009, 11:59 AM
no. :)

that's a known problem that is impossible to go around,...
you can however texture the model first, then bring the model over to e.g. Zbrush and then fix the seams, sort of like using the stamp tool in PhotoShop,..

other than that, no, i'm afraid that's not possible.
a known problem in any 3D package. it build down to that it is basically impossible to unwrap a sphere to a flat plane, distortions will happen.

in the future we might have procedural textures that fix this though...

edit: a jumper however is made out of flat planes before the fabrics is put together, so this can work, depending on how your polymodel is.

adrian
07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Oh well, not to worry. At least with PLG it's possible to decide where you want the seams so they can be placed in areas that won't be readily seen in some cases :)

I only have the trial version of Zbrush which has long since expired so that's not an option until I get the cash to buy it.

erikals
07-30-2009, 01:09 PM
yep, Plg is allright.. :)
note though, fixing seams in ZB basically almost only works for organic patters, for e.g. checker patterns it doesn't help all too much, you have to try it to see what i mean :)

Dodgy
07-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Adrian, have a look at www.3dcoat.com
It's a lot cheaper than Zb, and much easier to use, with more features.

Philbert
08-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Yes and with 3DC you can just paint the textures on the 3D model and not have to worry about seems at all.

zardoz
08-01-2009, 09:20 AM
guys if the seams are really visible you can use this workaround to fix that. so imagine you have a ball and you unwrap it leaving a seam...you create two uv maps. The one you really want and an auxilliary one. On this other map you choose the seam somewhere else protecting the edges that make the seam in the real uv and paint this map in photoshop (you just need to paint the seam area). Then in layout texture your object with this secondary map and with the surface baking camera you can bake this painting in the first map and comp it with the real texture in photoshop.
I've done this a few times and it works great.

by the way, plg have been flawless for me. I've tried other tools and I am perfectly happy with plg. Doesn't crash, and the algorythm to unwrap is really good (probably is the same as others). the other tools from plg are really good too.

Mr Rid
02-16-2010, 06:11 PM
I am not getting the PLG UV tools to work. Where are the instructions? When I click on the 'Make_UV Edit' tool, nothing happens. When I click on 'Make UV' I get this menu,
which does not have a 'Make UV' option. It insists that I select the LW-made UV I already have (If I type a new name I get an error), I click OK and nothing changes.

erikals
02-16-2010, 06:29 PM
try these,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHKjCD3xTTU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E35qOmRBf-c

edit, u pressed
"PLG make UV" instead try,
"PLG make UV edit"

Mr Rid
02-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks

erikals
02-17-2010, 05:07 AM
also see,
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=902341#post902341
for other UV hints (more of tests really, but might be of use, if one have the time)

Philbert
02-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Of course with the advent of Ptex UV mapping may become a thing of the past. I've already had a couple of models where I didn't bother to make a UV and just started painting.

erikals
02-17-2010, 06:29 AM
it sort of looks to work like zbrush auv tiles....
is it somewhat the same?
http://www.pixologic.com/docs/images/1/1a/AuvGuvDoc_disp.jpg

edit: ah, ok, it's basically the same, in a way...
the difference is Ptex can up-res individual boxed areas.
(just like adding more polygons, but instead Ptex adds more pixels, in a way)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJHekH9nCzw

this is good for organic texturing, but not so much for clothes with lines etc,
where old UV methods are still the best.

Philbert
02-17-2010, 06:46 AM
I haven't used the zb method but it looks like it lays them out in a similar way. One nice thing is that you can selectively increase/decrease resolution where ever you want on the model. Hopefully more programs will start to support the .ptx file format. Though the 3DC method also saves them out similarly to your pic so that they can be used in LightWave or whatever.

Here's a little video I made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4137te68FP4

More features have been added since I made that vid, like the ability to select an area based on it resolution level.

erikals
02-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Nice video. http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/smile.gif

must say 3D-Coat looks great.
how many polys can it chew, do you know?

Philbert
02-17-2010, 07:05 AM
In general? I'm not sure, but it's not really important, that dino model is only just over 5000 polys. All of the detail is sculpted/painted onto the texture map of a medium res model with real time depth & displacement. With the voxel sculpting I can get up to around 25 million tri's before it starts to chug, but then you just switch to texture painting and get the fine details like I said above.

Of course it's also great that it plays nicer with LightWave than any other app of it's type.

Mr Rid
03-03-2010, 11:25 PM
OK, am back trying to use PLG and I still have no idea what all the settings do.

I have a problem with RealFlow wetmaps not working right with an atlas UV. Someone suggested there is something wrong with LW atlas UVs and to use PLG instead, but PLG UV generation keeps saying 'there are some charts that can not be developed' (?) and it then makes a mess.

LW atlas is making more sense

Am I missing something?

probiner
03-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Are you marking the seams? (i know it's a dumb question, but seams are not marked in your screenshots) Make atlas, then make uv?

You can also detach the parts you want to be the "atlas" seams, then run PLG and merge everything back.

Sample file?

Cheers

Philbert
03-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Simplest steps for using PLG:

1. Open plg_make_uv I have it on my User Tab like so:

http://content.screencast.com/users/philnolan3d/folders/Jing/media/a2e09f39-9716-4ccb-928e-b0910817fc82/2010-03-04_0149.png

2. Mark the seams by clicking in the middle of each. Sometimes this is a little tricky and it can help to uncheck the "Hide Handle" box in the numeric panel if you need to.

http://content.screencast.com/users/philnolan3d/folders/Jing/media/0bac3d0c-699c-4856-bbab-a471a1983e2e/2010-03-04_0151.png

3. type in a name for your map and be sure to press enter when you're done typing or it won't "stick".

http://content.screencast.com/users/philnolan3d/folders/Jing/media/6c5ca3bc-63ba-4cdf-9cf8-742990df06bd/2010-03-04_0153.png

4. Click the Make UV button in the numeric panel and the map is created. The tool still stays open so you can make changes to your seams and click make UV again if you need to.

http://content.screencast.com/users/philnolan3d/folders/Jing/media/28f733d4-dd25-4188-af4b-23efaa13d18d/2010-03-04_0154.png

One last basic tip, if you're marking a complicated seam I recommend clicking the Save Edge button a lot (frequently) because if you accidentally lose the seam you'll have to start all over. With this you simple click the Load Edge button and it loads up the last time you saved. it would be great if they would make that happen automatically on a timer

Mr Rid
03-04-2010, 12:06 AM
... Make atlas, then make uv?

Ahkay, thats it.

You can also detach the parts you want to be the "atlas" seams, then run PLG and merge everything back.

Cheers

mmm, alright, I dunno.

Mr Rid
03-04-2010, 12:47 AM
1. Open plg_make_uv I have it on my User Tab like so:
Thanks. I assume you mean to click on 'Make_UV_Edit.'

2. Mark the seams by clicking in the middle of each. Sometimes this is a little tricky and it can help to uncheck the "Hide Handle" box in the numeric panel if you need to.:

'Tricky' is putting it mildly. I have to click 30 times in the same spot before anything selects or deselects. Then some edges just refuse to select. I cant figure out what I should even be selecting. This is too tedious.

probiner
03-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Like i said... detach the parts you want unwelded in the uv's (cut and past back), then make Uv and it will use the separate parts has UV Islands. In the end merge back everything.

Cheers

edit: If you don't want to break the mesh, you can even assign surfaces to polygons and go with 'atlas from surfaces' or check 'divide by suface'.

Philbert
03-04-2010, 02:16 AM
Thanks. I assume you mean to click on 'Make_UV_Edit.'

'Tricky' is putting it mildly. I have to click 30 times in the same spot before anything selects or deselects. Then some edges just refuse to select. I cant figure out what I should even be selecting. This is too tedious.

Yes sorry as you can see from my screenshot the last part gets cut off. I say "tricky" because it works fine for me most of the time on the first click or two, if it takes more than a couple I make the handles visible and that makes it a lot easier to see where to click. I'd love to see updates made to PLG, but as far as I can tell the developer has disappeared.

zardoz
03-04-2010, 02:55 AM
I made a two screenshots for point and edge mode in PLG
I hope it explains a bit how to start with the plg plugin

EDIT: in the edge mode picture I forgot to add an arrow pointing to the advance threshold angle that PLG uses to draw the seam when we press Advance Edge

probiner
03-04-2010, 03:13 AM
Nice images zardoz.
Just to add, when you use advance edge it will propagate in the loop your last action: select or deselect.

Cheers

zardoz
03-04-2010, 03:17 AM
good tip. didn't know that one

Dodgy
03-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Me, I never ever EVER use edge selection mode. I just use Point selection mode, then left click a start seam point and shift middle click a seam end point and usually it figures out a good way as long as I don't click all the way on the other side of the model. Edge selection is really really the slowest way to mark seams.

mythek1
03-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Nice images zardoz.
Just to add, when you use advance edge it will propagate in the loop your last action: select or deselect.

Cheers
For me the most useful one is CTRL clicking for a distance from one edge to another. This can get around difficult geometry.

Here is a recent body UV map where I divided the model up into more sections to reduce stretching. The seams are hidden under the breasts, top of thighs etc.

82832 82833

Also one little thing,when I found the Relax plugin wasn't working it was because inadvertantly I had a background layer selected

probiner
03-04-2010, 04:41 AM
Nice tips. Yes the CRTL thing is great, it will also proopagete the select or deselect. And it makes edge mode work like point mode =) Wich is the one, like dodgy, i use normally.

Cheers

daforum
03-04-2010, 04:58 AM
Any sign of a working version for Mac users?

Philbert
03-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeah the mac version is listed on the site with the others:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

daforum
03-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah the mac version is listed on the site with the others:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

Sorry, I meant for Mac Intel.

I do have LW 9.0 running but I read somewhere the PLG_UV_edit plugin would crash LW?

Philbert
03-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Oh OK it just said mac, so I didn't know which it was for.

juniordebo
03-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Sorry, I meant for Mac Intel.

I do have LW 9.0 running but I read somewhere the PLG_UV_edit plugin would crash LW?

I used it for Intel Mac and 99% of the time it crashed Modeler. I am using 9.6. I spent the money and now use Headus UV Layout (http://www.uvlayout.com/). It starts out around 200 american but it is worth it.

Cheers,
Junior

probiner
05-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Just found this today, PLG reads edges of polygons with different normal orientation as seams. Probably not super uber useful, but it doesnt hurt to know.

The sphere on the left with the flipped polys will make the UV on the right.

Cheers

nickdigital
05-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Just found this today, PLG reads edges of polygons with different normal orientation as seams. Probably not super uber useful, but it doesnt hurt to know.

The sphere on the left with the flipped polys will make the UV on the right.

Cheers

That's very interesting. Good find.

zardoz
05-08-2011, 03:25 AM
great find. really useful