PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Technet Plus question

JMCarrigan
06-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Because I was one of a bazillion people who has been testing Windows 7 that have offered me 2 things. The one I am wondering about is a subscription to TechNet Plus Direct.

(Access To Full-Version Commercial Microsoft Software2 For Evaluation╣ With No Time Or Feature Limits Microsoft Dynamics, Servers, Operating Systems, Applications, Office products and more!)

1> Does this mean that, if I don't re-up in a year, the "no time limit" still applies, and does "...Operating Systems..." means Windows 7 when released.

I'm a numb skull about somethings. Well, most everything. :D

COBRASoft
06-26-2009, 01:08 PM
As far as I know you won't be able to download their software anymore from MSDN when you stop paying. The licenses you have, keep working.

JMCarrigan
06-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks for your response CobraSoft. I went ahead and signed up and downloaded Office 2007. Looks way better on Vista Ultimate and the install was painless. Next!

Lito
06-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Just FYI it is against the technet license to use the software in "production" environments. That is the only real limitation of technet.

If your subscription runs out then you cannot download and cannot generate any more keys for the software you have previously downloaded. Other than that the keys and software work pretty much the same as the standard retail products.

JMCarrigan
06-28-2009, 12:50 AM
Just FYI it is against the technet license to use the software in "production" environments. That is the only real limitation of technet.

If your subscription runs out then you cannot download and cannot generate any more keys for the software you have previously downloaded. Other than that the keys and software work pretty much the same as the standard retail products.

I assume that means systems production. I mean do they expect that a person doesn't write a letter or send email with their software? I am not building systems and installing copy after copy of Windows apps or OS's.

Lito
06-28-2009, 08:32 AM
By production I think they mean deployed and for business computers. So you can install and use the software on all your machines, have people use those machines to test if the software is suitable for the tasks given to them and there are no issues with the hardware. But once you are ready to put them into a commercial production environment you are no longer evaluating the software so you must buy retail versions of the software. So setting up your PCs at home with a render farm with technet OSes installed to see how it worked would be within the scope of the license, but putting the same PCs you tested at home and using them as work PCs to make money from them would be against the license. If you look at the FAQ on technet they give an example, but IMO I think that the bottom line is it sounds like the personal use only license agreement of the free antivirus products. For non commercial (hence the term evaluation) use is OK but for commercial use it is not. So I doubt MS would care if you used the products for yourself at home but if you were using it in your small business and got audited by the Software Business Association or something you would be fined.

JMCarrigan
06-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Thanks Lito.