PDA

View Full Version : Question on parallel to USB dongle upgrade

wp_capozzi
08-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Does the same dongle ID transfer over to the new USB dongle when upgrading it from an old parallel port dongle?

I have many 3rd party plugins tied to my old dongle. Would I have to contact each plugin creator to re-register with a new dongle ID? All of that would apply too if I decide not to upgrade the dongle to USB and the old dongle bites it. (Had it since LW 4).

Summed up, in upgrading or damage to the old dongle, am I resposible for chasing down and re-registering all of my 3rd party plugins, and other software like Aura and DFX+ that are tied to it?What's the procedure?

Many thanks,
Bill C.

Stewpot
08-22-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi wp_capozzi,

I just upgraded from a parallel to USB duo dongle, and my PC installation gave a different lock ID with the USB dongle. It just might mean that you have to re-register.

The dongle itself will have a different code I suspect which will react differently.

trick
08-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Hmmmmm....

kevman3d
08-25-2003, 01:40 AM
Actually,

That's a very good question I wouldn't have thought of if I was transferring to a USB dongle. Luckily for me, I don't have any software other then LightWave keyed to the DongleID (yet)

If the old DongleID isn't retained or transferred to the new USB, that could create some major problems for software that utilises the DongleID as part of its registration system.

Hmmm, anybody here have any experience with this, or these problems after changing Dongles?

Marvin Miller
08-25-2003, 09:24 AM
When you swap out your dongle you will get a new Product Lock ID. You will just need to reregister with the new dongle and a new permanent license key will be made for you. Anything tied to the dongle will require reregistration.

If you have third-party plug-ins, a letter can be sent to you stating that you have swapped out the dongle.