PDA

View Full Version : Re-label DDR button

Wink
06-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Simple request...please re-label the DDR button to video, vid plyr, vid or something that refers to video playback. This input in NOT a Digital Disk RECORDER. At least call it a DDP (digital disk player). The people I sell TCs to don't have a clue what DDR means. An even cooler feature would be to allow the user to custom label inputs like in the VT.

jcupp
06-25-2009, 09:26 AM
At least they don't call it "VCR" anymore.

Wink
06-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Although VCR (video cassette recorder) is obviously wrong also, I think more of my customers would understand that meaning, in context, as compared to DDR.

ted
06-26-2009, 02:37 PM
You need smarter customers! :hey: (wink) get it, wink! HA!
OK, just kidding. We need all customers, even the stupid ones. :D

Just tell them it's a new techie term they need to get used to. At least that's what I would do.
I don't like the option of re-naming items in TC because those terms wouldn't be in the manual and a lot of people would come to the forums talking about this or that and we would have no idea what they were talking about.

Wink
06-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Ted, I see your point about custom re-naming, that could be confusing, but the major markets for TC are edu. and churches. NT changed the bus labeling from program & preset (broadcast terms) to "Live" and "Preview" to make it easy for a lay person to understand. I still think "Vid" (video) would be appropriate. NT uses "Pic" (picture) for the still store side on the VT & VT Pro, so Vid would actually make sense.

jcupp
06-26-2009, 04:44 PM
"VCR" was confusing neophytes because they thought that was for their connected VCR for capturing or something. At least "DDR" doesn't correspond with a common device they might have hooked up. I'd be cool with "Vid" but that's not really anymore self explanatory than "DDR".

SBowie
06-26-2009, 04:52 PM
This is a bit of a conundrum. As a generic term, I am tending toward calling these modules "Media Players". As some have noted, though, sometimes we need to differentiate them according to the media types supported (as for the Picture player).

As well, it needs to be able to fit on a Switcher button. Just at the moment, I'm thinking maybe "Clips" and "Stills". Thoughts?

Wink
06-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I like "clips" and "stills", but I think "vid" (or video) & "pic" is a bit more meaningful and easier to understand to a new user. Any new TC owners like to comment?

PIZAZZ
06-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Pretty much everyone understands the terms DVR or PVR now. Thanks to Tivo. :)

This label has been a pain in my backside too. Luckily I sell more Broadcast and Studio units that are labeled DDR instead of VCR like the lowely TC100 guys. ;)

Or did that label change to DDR across the board???
I might have missed that memo.

billmi
06-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Somehow it's not seemed that big of a deal to me when training folks on the TC100 - even though they know it's not a VCR.

IMHO, there are so many terms and functions that a new user doesn't know or aren't identical to a piece of hardware they've used elsewhere (LiveSet, LiveMatte, etc.) that if NewTek called it a flibbedy-flue, it's still just a term they'd need to learn and relate to the interface. The fact that they learned to call i a TriCaster, and not a MultiFunctionProduction Box, is the first step.

Quiet1onTheSet
06-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Pretty much everyone understands the terms DVR or PVR now. Thanks to Tivo. :)

Haha! Hey, Jef? Isn't that PVR moniker first owed to that now legendary company known as DPS (Digital Processing Systems®) for their product entry which succeeded the PAR (Personal Animation Recorder™)?

Yeah. It was the Personal Animation Recorder™, if I recall.

I'm with you, Wink, on the "DDP" nomenclature jaunt...
:)

PIZAZZ
06-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Haha! Hey, Jef? Isn't that PVR moniker first owed to that now legendary company known as DPS (Digital Processing Systems®) for their product entry which succeeded the PAR (Personal Animation Recorder™)?

Yeah. It was the Personal Animation Recorder™, if I recall.

I'm with you, Wink, on the "DDP" nomenclature jaunt...
:)

Man sometimes I have no idea what you are talking about...

I thought PVR standed for Personal Video Recorder and DVR stands for Digital Video Recorder.

either one is rather common now especially with non professional video folk.

Any which way we look at it, the TriCaster makes short work of playing and recording any video, audio, or pictures.

Quiet1onTheSet
06-29-2009, 10:37 PM
Man sometimes I have no idea what you are talking about...

I thought PVR standed for Personal Video Recorder...
Oh, it "strands" for a great number of things, Jef.

PVR Personal Video Recorder
PVR Pulmonary Vascular Resistance
PVR Post-Void Residual
PVR Plant Variety Rights (UK)
PVR Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy (ophthalmology)
PVR Poliovirus Receptor
PVR Pocket Video Recorder
PVR Postvoid residual (urine volume)
PVR Pulse Volume Recording
PVR Perception Video Recorder
PVR Priya Village Roadshow (India cinema)
PVR Photovoltaic Radiator
PVR Parallel Volume Rendering
PVR Premature Voluntary Release
PVR Peak Vehicle Requirement (public transportation)
PVR Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico - Gustavo Diaz Ordaz (Airport Code)
PVR Physical Volume Repository
PVR Pleasure Valley Raceway (motocross, Pennsylvania)
PVR Programmable Voltage Regulator (microcontroller)
PVR Per Vehicle Retail
PVR Player Value Rating (sports; fantasy football)
PVR Politie Vakorganisatie Rijnmond (Dutch)
PVR Process Variation Reduction
PVR Portable Vehicular Ramp
PVR Product Verification Review
PVR Programmable Virtual Router

Ah, but the correct reference I was scrambling for, would be the tenth item listed (in red) above, which was a trademark belonging to DPS® by the time they launched their newer generation disk-based PC card digital recording products first introduced in the mid 1990s.

If my memory is now serving me well on the matter, I'd say that arguably, that successful product was preceded by the groundbreaking, Amiga and PC compatible PAR -- er, eh, the Personal Animaton Recorder® which was a really big hit for Lightwave3D animators and Toaster Users (single-frame animation controllers be darned).

Later, Digital Processing Systems, Inc. would be absorbed by Leitch®.

SBowie
06-30-2009, 06:50 AM
I'll be honest, it does seem to me people should be able to get the idea pretty quickly even if we called it an UIMTCPVMF (User Interface Module That Can Play Various Media Files) .... some people seem capable of stumbling over how to use a paper clip. ;)

Still, I'm kind of fussy about terminology (it's my OCD side), so I'll admit that the problem I have with "DDR" is that the "R" is incorrect (in the case of TC products). This module does not "record" (this also kills DVR, PVR and VCR for me). We don't call Windows Media Player "WMR", do we? Yet compromises (like DDP) seem even more obscure.

As a class, I consider the DDR, Stills, etc., to be "Media Players"; but there is sometimes a need to distinguish between the type of media they clan play. Even that requires compromises: "Pic" cannot play video clips, but the "DDR" can play almost anything - so calling it "Video Player" (Vid) or "Clip Player" (Clips) isn't fully descriptive. Any single term inevitably falls short in some respect. I don't object violently to "vid" and "pic", btw ... but if I had my druthers, I'd avoid contracting or truncating Switcher button labels (for a real challenge, let's try to find a substitute for "Network" that is both accurate and will fit on a button!)

As an aside, you wouldn't believe how hard we try to find just the right word or phrase at times. Just when you're sure you have the ideal solution, someone will inevitably say "I don't know what that means" (and I'm apparently not allowed to say 'have you considered going back to work on your GED?') ;)

Welcome to my world ...

billmi
06-30-2009, 02:37 PM
I'll be honest, it does seem to me people should be able to get the idea pretty quickly even if we called it an UIMTCPVMF (User Interface Module That Can Play Various Media Files)

I'm with you, but the more I think about it, the better I am liking "flibbedy-flue."

(it's my OCD side)

My wife says that should be CDO, because it needs to be alphabetical.

SBowie
06-30-2009, 03:14 PM
my wife says that should be cdo, because it needs to be alphabetical.So true! :D