PDA

View Full Version : Manakin Cloth Demo

Carm3D
06-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Hiya...

I made this animation (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/Manakin/Manakin.htm) to have a nice example of SyFlex cloth on my website.

Enjoy!

StereoMike
06-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Hi Carm,

I found it nice, but I think you have to do something to the shirt-surface. Right now it looks like thin rubber (seems a bit translucent/sss and the specular level/glossiness gives that impression too).
How's the setup of syflex in lightwave? easy?

mike

Carm3D
06-24-2009, 12:34 AM
How's the setup of syflex in lightwave? easy?

I couldn't tell ya.. I used SyFlex in XSI.

StereoMike
06-24-2009, 01:45 AM
and? How is it? I have 6.5 essentials which I never used, did you find it hard to get into?

Carm3D
06-24-2009, 05:38 AM
Well.. Hard is a relative term. I haven't done much in the way of animation with it.. But I have worked with it's rigging.. And there's so much more I need to figure out. I got some of those videos from Digital Tutors and they were helpful.

As far as just using it for SyFlex.. It's a snap if you have a basic familiarity with the XSI interface. The only wonky thing with it is assigning collision objects. First you click on your cloth model, then ctrl-click on the collision mesh, then cloose "Collide Mesh" on the SyFlex tool panel.

Also, through trial and error, I found out that simply exporting the .MDDs from the baked cloth is not enough.. You have to export the .MDDs from the cloth AND it's collision objects from XSI to bring into LW. You'd think that there would be no reason to bring in motion from and object you didn't change.. But if you don't, you'll find the frame synch from your LW-animated collisions and the XSI/SyFlex-animated cloth is just a bit off. Bring them both in and everything is perfect.

And... SyFlex is a dream to work with compared to ClothFX. It's so bloody fast and accurate.

jayroth
06-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Does Carm's video crash Firefox for anyone else? Each time I go to the page, as soon as the movie starts to load, FF crashes out. And, yes, I am current with Quicktime, FF, etc...

Carm3D
06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Hi Jay,

I tried it on FireFox here with no crash. You can look at the YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrFQhtlWjzY&feature=channel_page) version if you like.

Carm3D
06-24-2009, 04:30 PM
I made some tweaks to the scene and will be re-rendering it..

Added texture to the manakins, moved the background text out of the way.. it was distracting.. And I added seams/trim to the cloth.. And tweaked the shader.

http://carm3d.net/Media/Manakin/ManakinUpdate.JPG

EDIT: Just added clothes to the other manakins. :)

jayroth
06-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Hi Jay,

I tried it on FireFox here with no crash. You can look at the YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrFQhtlWjzY&feature=channel_page) version if you like.

Thanks, I appreciate that. Not sure what the issue is...

Larry_g1s
06-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Not a bad go at it. Though I would have to agree it doesn't look too cloth like. The sleeves that are up do to the arms being up, stay up even when the arms come down.

Does Carm's video crash Firefox for anyone else? Each time I go to the page, as soon as the movie starts to load, FF crashes out. And, yes, I am current with Quicktime, FF, etc...No problems here in FF.

Carm3D
06-25-2009, 03:30 PM
I've just updated the video to v1.5. It's the same animation but has the following tweaks / changes:

Colour correction
Seams in the cloth
texture on manakins
clothes on all manakins
new layer of audio for manakin's motion
stereo audio with panning
text elements changed
It's now flash video for better colour fidelity

enjoy! (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/Manakin/Manakin.htm) :)

StereoMike
06-26-2009, 12:30 AM
It's a funny piece, no doubt, but the cloth still looks shiny like rubber.

silviotoledo
06-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Carm3D

Good Job!

StereoMike

I use syflex on lightwave ( a licence costs 2K ). Syflex gererally is realtime ( preview velocity ), simulation is good. Collisions is better than Cloth Fx, but, on lightwave, it also does some mistakes, specially for complex meshes that, sometimes, requires the same time of Cloth Fx for calculating.
Setup is easy, but not always it works. This is the bad thing! Not so bad as Cloth Fx, but problems remains.

On the other hand MAYA N CLOTH is incredible good and also QUALOTH. These are state of art cloth simulations systems. I did not get problems with it.

Mr. JayRoth

The syflex team did some adjustments I asked for on the Lightwave version ( one of these adjustments includes support for 2 point polys for hair simulation ), but they got difficult in getting some informations from Newtek that was not documented on SDK. Now, it seems syflex for Lightwave is not on further development.
Syflex also did some of the errors that Cloth Fx does.

Messiah is pretty cool now with hair and cloth realtime. Hope Core will have something similar.

Actually I don't believe Lightwave Cloth Fx is good to simulate realistic cloth, except capes.
Cloth FX on 9.6 is really fast, better, but there's something wrong on it. specially regarding collisions, that does not work perfectly, specially with characters deformed by bones.

Carm3D
06-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Carm3D

Good Job!

Thanks. :)

Now, it seems syflex for Lightwave is not on further development.
Syflex also did some of the errors that Cloth Fx does.

This is good to know... I was eyeing SyFlex for Lightwave. Not anymore.

silviotoledo
06-28-2009, 03:35 PM
These are some scene files I did only for this THREAD purposes.

I simulates a cloth with Cloth FX based on the presets with some better adjustments.

see it flics a lot.

So I decided to increase viscosity, to prevent flick, but it causes the cloth to look more rubber.

For me, more folders it has the simulation is better for realism. Hold structure and viscosity tends to folder less.

silviotoledo
06-28-2009, 04:26 PM
This is a new test with Cloth Over Cloth using Cloth FX

Nice to see that it does not take a big calculating time, but the big problem is the FLICK and some errors it does with collisions.

So, Cloth FX needs:

1) distributed network calculation
2) more stability ( flics too much )
3) better and more presets
4) solve some collision errors. Sometimes some points keep attached to another or passes through and collides on the oposite direction
5) better self colisions.

Carm3D
06-28-2009, 04:48 PM
You didn't do this for me did you?? My days using ClothFX are probably over.. It's SyFlex time.

silviotoledo
06-28-2009, 05:11 PM
He he. Just did it to show to Newtek guys Cloth Fx needs a lot of adjustments. Too hard to get something good without a lot os post adjustments :).

I will start doing syflex tests. Would you be interested in sharing some settings from a XSI version? so I can replicate it on lightwave to see if we can get the same result?

I also get wrong deformations on syflex ( seems colisions on LW is a problem ), but less and syflex is several times faster and stable.

Amurrell
06-29-2009, 10:03 PM
I like the animation, although when looking at the cloth before the animation starts I was expecting something a little softer. I think the shirt looks a bit stiff and uncomfortable and that something softer and more dynamic would be a bit more appealing, but that's just my opinion.