View Full Version : CORE and scene files?

06-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi Folks.

A few weeks back I asked for some info on CORE and one of the things that came up was that while CORE will support our current object files, scene files may not be. I'm fairly grounded in Lightwave now (still have a long way to go though), so much so that I'm about to under take work on a big CGI movie project. However, I'm also considering making the move to CORE when it's released (need more info before I can make the decission). The thing is, if CORE is going to make scene files obsolete, then I'm not sure I want to start work on the project in question now only to find myself in trouble in six months time (or there abouts) when CORE comes out.

Any advice?

06-23-2009, 01:49 PM
i'd say if your production is less than 18months then you'll be staying in lightwave anyhow...most productions 'lockin' to a particular software/version number.

there is going to be a live link from lightwave-hc to core much like the 'hub' so it's possible to move stuff..i'd say though you'd be best approaching this project with CORE firmly out of your mind and concentrate on lightwave 9.6

06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
The best thing to so is always assume and prepare for the worst case scenario... therefore if I were to begin a long, long term project, I would do it under the assumption that LWx and CORE will be utterly incompatible in every respect... No nasty surprises. Either commit to do it all in the current release, or wait and start from scratch in core would be my advice.

06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
As has been mentioned, you don't want to switch software or pipelines mid-way through a project, you're asking for trouble.

06-23-2009, 07:01 PM
it's already been said three times but a fourth can't hurt, i also recommend sticking with one package.

i tried changing software mid-project and it ended up being a nightmare, and i was only going from maya 2008 to 2009 haha

06-24-2009, 02:14 AM
I edited my post last night but it didn't appear...

I'm sure that anyone here that switched from 9.3.1 to 9.5 will warn you about 'upgrading' before thoroughly testing with your other apps, OS and hardware...and 9.5 was an upgrade to a solid application, not a completely new application altogether like CORE...hell, even NewTek recommended using the 9.6 beta rather than the 'production ready' 9.5.

06-24-2009, 02:30 AM
What I would do is go ahead and do the production. Any money is is better than no money. When core does come out stay with 9.6 for the production and take your free time getting to know core and see what it can and can not do and use that knowledge for your next production.
Just because you upgrade doesn't mean you have do do away with any of the older versions.

06-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks very much for the feedback, much appreciated. I'll wait for CORE to come out before starting work on the project. In the mean time, I'll keep working away and improve my foundation in Lightwave more. Thanks again!!