PDA

View Full Version : How does lightwave handle OpenGL ?

larkis
06-23-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm not really sure if lightwave is busted or not, but when working with very heavy scenes I assumed that hiding objects from the viewport or using bounding box would increase display performance. This does not seem to be the case. I have a scene with 2.8 million polygons and a total of 4800~ objects. Even when I hide everything and leave one of the objects on (80 polygons) the viewport is still sluggish. Should things not go back to normal when everything off and only a few boxes are drawn in the viewports ?

danielkaiser
06-23-2009, 01:04 PM
We need your hardware specs (look at my sig and you'll get the idea) and your LW version, so we can better help you.

RebelHill
06-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Switching to bounding box, so far as Ive noticed, doesnt improve performance ata ll... however setting objects to be hidden does, though not as much as if the object werent there at all.... On such a heavy scene this may well end up making much difference Id guess at, but couldnt say for sure.

larkis
06-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Switching to bounding box, so far as Ive noticed, doesnt improve performance ata ll... however setting objects to be hidden does, though not as much as if the object werent there at all.... On such a heavy scene this may well end up making much difference Id guess at, but couldnt say for sure.

Yea, this seems to be the case. I guess it's how the software is written. Hoping core will change that because tools like maya are super fast when everything is hidden accept the item being worked on.

cresshead
06-23-2009, 01:21 PM
you'd be best off making a lo proxy set of models to work with in the viewport then swap to the hi res for rendering...just have them in a lo res and hi res folder and pull 'em out into a working folder..or make a script to swap them out...