PDA

View Full Version : reel trouble...

Sarford
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi guys,

I've made a mini show reel, mainly for my brother, who works at a London ad agency, to show around at his job.

I'm working on a bigger reel with more animation and also stills, comps etc. but that will take a few extra months at least before its finished. So I want to see if I can use this reel to get some freelance gigs in games or film/commercials.

Can the professionals here (especialy people who (co-)decide on hirering) please tell me if this reel is any good?
Does this mini reel give you some confidence that I could do the job?
Is it too long or too short?
Does it look amateurisch and should I forget professional work with such a reel?
Am I better off waiting for my big reel to finish?
Is this perfect and you wanna give me a job?

Right now I'm an independant graphic designer, but I wanna change professions. I'm a bit fed up with my job now and have always wanted to work in games and film. I've seen many show reels on the net, but the quality differs so much... As this is my first show reel, I wanna know if I'm going in the right direction.

So, be frank and don't hold back.

See my reel here on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/5290666)

adamredwoods
06-23-2009, 11:31 AM
It's amateurish for animation, but it's good for modeling and rendering.

DO NOT put that feminine guy character in, as the quality of the character animation just wasn't there (watch more Pixar). Something like that should never go first-- always your BEST stuff first!

Also, the shot with the balloon was too long. There wasn't much animation with it anyways, but it looked great as a still.

Show more of your rendering and modeling work. Do more 360 rotations of models. Modeling is a common way to start in an industry, then you can work your way up to animator.

cresshead
06-23-2009, 12:15 PM
here goes...i watched with the sound off btw as many people will also not have the volume up when watching..

likes>> like the text screens..nice work

chap talking to camera..the longer it went on for them more i noticed his feet were nailed to the floor and his movments were repetative and somewhat robotic looking in their arcs or lack of arcs in actuality...face seemed okay but he wasn't looking/talking to the camera...you could really do with some other camera angles...3/4 and close ups and so on plus what ever he's looking at with a behind the shoulder looking maybe closeups of his hands when jestureing too..all could help put it over better i think

also basic placement of the camera wasn't using the rule of thirds but had him central in the frame...looked boring also wonder what was oin the blackboard behind...add some chalk things about whatever he's taking about...also add a few more props in the bg to flesh ou the full frame whot when it cuts to that angle..waste bin etc plug on the floor etc out of it's socket...
re the charicter..add some assymetry to him...perfect mirror image is not nice to look at...also most presenters try to use their prefered face profile...look at some news casts and weather casts on tv for ideas..

re hoodie top..make that different each side currently has perfectlymirrored creases etc..mess it up abit also add some creases on the elbow shoulder joints if poss.

might also work better if he was holding somthing in his hands so when he's expressing with his hands h's poses for each hand is fundamentally different due to holding say a mobile phone or pen/pencil...maybe passing from one to another hand during the clip...

ballon...drop it...too long and cos it's using the photo bg your stuck too one angle...either that or create a backdop you can cut to other angles...also up the detail on the balloon...really i'd drop it as an animation really.

car>> sort out the grill on the front as it 'crawls' due to the antialiesing and sharp contrast of the small grills...
front lghts..add a projector map in the lights to make them more realistic...add some camera angles on it...

also near all car ad renders have white reflective boxes/planes hanging above to create great refelctions that play over the curves of the car.

pink rabbit>>

pose his initial pose to favour a foot so lean him on that..his current pose is mirror perfect once again..looks boring cos of that..his head movement once again is too robotic...eye's also look abit dead...maybe start with it being off and then shake to make it work abit faster...also more of a reaction once it fires up...again have him have unblanced face expression...abit pissed and quizzical at the start..tilting his head as he looks up to one side...eyebrows down..eye's dart from side to side trying to se if the connections are okay...a look around..shoulder shrugg then a determined look and a shake of the light to get it working...then a happy confident look to camera and a wink to end it...

hope that helps!

cresshead
06-23-2009, 12:26 PM
additional..the guy doesn't blink once......sort that out!

re car/model spins in general...

create 3 renders per camera...wireframe shade, ambient occlusionand final..fade between them, that shows off your modeling skills.

RebelHill
06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
I've seen many show reels on the net, but the quality differs so much

Theres part of your problem right there... Dont compare your work to other's showreels, compare it to finished work you see... If ur looking to do video games... the bar is what u see in games... if you want to do films, the bar is, well, u get the point.

Otherwise, yeah... the character animation is very wooden and robotic, very sorry. But also remember that its not jsut if u CAN produce quality work, its can u produce it on TIME... even if you produce an animation clip (say 10 secs) worthy of a pixar movie... if it takes you 6 months to do it, ur still way below the bar.

Sarford
06-24-2009, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the coments guys, much apreciated.
So the short story is put more work in couse the animation sucks :D

back to work than, thanks again!

cresshead
06-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the coments guys, much apreciated.
So the short story is put more work in couse the animation sucks :D

back to work than, thanks again!

looking on the good side..the models are okay just need some editing to kill the symetry

evolross
06-24-2009, 08:35 AM
I actually really like the aesthetics of a lot of your shots, like the hot air balloon. You definitely have an eye for color, concept, and framing, but like some of the others have said, you spend too long on each shot without there being a lot of animation. The very first shot is definitely not the strongest. I'd try cutting it a little quicker, there's nothing wrong with a shorter reel.