PDA

View Full Version : Holy Smokes! Steve Jobs had a liver transplant?!?

TheDynamo
06-22-2009, 02:14 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/jun/22/steve-jobs-apple-liver-transplant

I didn't know it was that bad.

-Dyn

cresshead
06-22-2009, 02:25 PM
"The report on his condition was not attributed to any source"

hear say...no evidence whatsoever...

Matt
06-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I hope he pulls through okay.

Titus
06-22-2009, 06:09 PM
What a fake story!

cresshead
06-22-2009, 06:36 PM
yeah just someone trying to manipulate the apple stock price most probably

Matt
06-22-2009, 06:55 PM
yeah just someone trying to manipulate the apple stock price most probably

If that's true, now would be a good time to buy some shares! :D

Tom Wood
06-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Seems legit: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124546193182433491.html

H_Molla
06-22-2009, 08:09 PM
lets pray for him better than " buying some shares " Matt..this man is genius...
i am very sorry for him, god may be with him on that time..ameen..

Titus
06-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow, the rumor mill!

cresshead
06-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Seems legit: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124546193182433491.html

not really...it's from an unkown source, unconfirmed, not estabilshed, rumor mill press...and in the WALL street paper...stocks n shares...apple shares...

until there's a source that can be confirmed and established from 3 independant sources you may as well say steve jobs had a head transplant:D

Mike_RB
06-22-2009, 08:21 PM
lets pray for him better than " buying some shares " Matt..this man is genius...

Nah, I don't think we should appeal to anyone to change the laws of physics in the his favor. I hope he does well, but I'm not into wishful manipulation of physics.

SplineGod
06-22-2009, 09:47 PM
I heard it was an intel based Liver. :)

Dexter2999
06-22-2009, 10:47 PM
The story came up here as part of the homepage cable service.
There was debate about him "jumping the line" for a liver. But the story says apparently anyone with the money and resources he has can go to another state with a shorter waiting period.

The story said he went to Tennesse which has an average waiting period of 48 days for a liver. Opposed to California which has almost a year waiting period.

Here is the story on Forbes.
http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/21/steve-jobs-liver-national-organ-transplant-act-opinions-contributors-sally-satel.html

I wish him well. They say he will be back at work soon.

DiedonD
06-23-2009, 12:06 AM
So this Steve guy works at Apple or Intel?

jin choung
06-23-2009, 02:08 AM
wall street journal ain't a bunch a yahoos with an internet connection.

this is a reputable news source with fine, black and white woodcut style illustrations in place of photos.

will be very surprised if this turns out to be false.

and ANONYMOUS SOURCE != no source.

apparently, someone privy to the inner sanctum of apple thought that the ceo's severe medical condition was relevant to apple shareholders and therefore newsworthy... and probably didn't want to volunteer is identity.

i think the fellow would be correct on all counts.

jin

Matt
06-23-2009, 04:45 AM

See my _first_ post.

Titus
06-23-2009, 07:37 AM
wall street journal ain't a bunch a yahoos with an internet connection.

this is a reputable news source with fine, black and white woodcut style illustrations in place of photos.

will be very surprised if this turns out to be false.

and ANONYMOUS SOURCE != no source.

apparently, someone privy to the inner sanctum of apple thought that the ceo's severe medical condition was relevant to apple shareholders and therefore newsworthy... and probably didn't want to volunteer is identity.

i think the fellow would be correct on all counts.

jin

So Jin, you think a human can recover from a liver transplant and return to work in two months? I know he's Steve Jobs, and he has super powers, but c'mon.

Kuzey
06-23-2009, 08:43 AM
So Jin, you think a human can recover from a liver transplant and return to work in two months? I know he's Steve Jobs, and he has super powers, but c'mon.

Well....I looked it up :D

10) How long does it take to recover?

In part this depends on how ill the individual was prior to the surgery. Most patients should count on spending a few days in an intensive care unit and about four weeks in the hospital, as a minimum.

From the first link I came across:

http://www.gastro.com/Gastro/liverdisease/liver_transplant_faq.aspx#a9

Kuzey

Titus
06-23-2009, 09:05 AM
And that's just the start. What happen when a cancer patient has a liver transplantation:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/11/081103160849.htm

Tom Wood
06-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Oh come on, it's not like he's doing any heavy lifting, or removing the spaces in typography.

Oh, wait... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/22/one_million_new_iphones/

JReble
06-23-2009, 12:24 PM
No ill feelings towards Mr. Jobs, but I'm always surprised at the fan boy following he's got. Wozniak was the genius. Jobs is certainly an excellent marketing and communications person who generates a tremendous following through his marketing skills. Somehow the apple fans attribute this to quality of products or innovation. I don't get it, but he sure has been sucessful at generating legions of unquestioning fans and supporters who believe anything he says. We're just lucky he didn't start a cult or run for office. Still it's scary the way his minions make financial decisions based on his body temperature. Seems an awfully hollow and superficial testimony to the company they revere.

gerry_g
06-23-2009, 01:46 PM
I want my iLiver S ('s' for 'Steve approved')

jin choung
06-23-2009, 02:52 PM
No ill feelings towards Mr. Jobs, but I'm always surprised at the fan boy following he's got. Wozniak was the genius. Jobs is certainly an excellent marketing and communications person who generates a tremendous following through his marketing skills. Somehow the apple fans attribute this to quality of products or innovation. I don't get it, but he sure has been sucessful at generating legions of unquestioning fans and supporters who believe anything he says. We're just lucky he didn't start a cult or run for office. Still it's scary the way his minions make financial decisions based on his body temperature. Seems an awfully hollow and superficial testimony to the company they revere.

totally agree....

he's the figurehead and that's all the peeps want. the masses evidently really do desperately need something to worship and the turtlenecked one is good enough.

jin

jin choung
06-23-2009, 02:56 PM

as noted in the link to the faq, it's about ONE week for the hospital stay.

anyway, 2 weeks is just p.r. talk to keep the shareholders from panicking. i'm sure he'll take it easy for as long as it takes.

and yes, he will NOT be lifting heavy things.

all things considered, i would imagine that having the job of ceo is IDEAL for someone recovering from surgery. as opposed to factory worker.

--------------------------------------------------------

i say again, if the WSJ says he dd, he probably did.

and the fact that jobs tried to keep that secret from the shareholders would make me very wary of investing in that company.

jin

Titus
06-23-2009, 03:03 PM
as noted in the link to the faq, it's about ONE week for the hospital stay.
jin

At a minimum, the link says. My friend was in recovery hospital/home for six months.

jin choung
06-23-2009, 04:22 PM
At a minimum, the link says. My friend was in recovery hospital/home for six months.

and again,

some people only need a week.

jin

Dexter2999
06-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I think Jobs paid bonus' to the surgeons for speedy recovery.

That and his pact with the debil.
;)

Titus
06-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Yeah, he got the iHeal. And a system upgrade because cancer patients have the strongest inmune system.

Titus
06-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Double post

Tom Wood
06-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Confirmed: http://methodisthealth.org/methodist/About+Us/Newsroom/News/Steve+Jobs+Receives+Liver+Transplant

danielkaiser
06-24-2009, 02:49 AM
The rumor is that he bought a house here in Memphis as we have two of the three hospitals in TN that does transplants of that kind and I'm sure the waiting time stated was an average as we have one of the largest murder rates per-capita in the nation, last year we had over 300 deaths with a population of around 700.000.

jin choung
06-24-2009, 05:49 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10271526-37.html

jin

hrgiger
06-24-2009, 06:18 PM

Agree with that. Kinda the same thing with Brad Peebler. Brad does an excellent job marketing Luxology but some people just love/revere him a little bit too much. In fact, I think it borders on creepy.