PDA

View Full Version : can this be done(bevel)

Xcape
06-22-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm wondering if this can be done?

I created a disc and beveled the disc five times. When I hit TAB to convert to subpatch, is there a way for me to convert the first 4 bevels and leave alone the last?

Thank you,
Xcape

Silkrooster
06-22-2009, 01:13 AM
The subpatch command works like all the others. it assume you want everything done when nothing is selected. Therefore selecting all but the last bevel will subpatch everything but. Now be warned that doing so could break the geometry so if you work around it a bit you should be able to make it look half way decent.

zardoz
06-22-2009, 03:40 AM
the thing is that, as a rule, in connected geometry, everything should be subpatched or not...you shouldn't have parts of the geometry subpatched and parts not subpatched. You should do something like the one attached. We start with a 12 sided disc and go to a 36 sided loop. The extra sides are near the first ones that come from the 12 sided disc to make the edges sharper and get the 'not subpatched' look. Maybe I did the transition too short but it was for demonstrating purposes only. maybe you need to do it in more steps.

Also check this thread too
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98754

and the lightwave wiki:
http://www.lightwiki.com/All_about_Subpatch_Modeling

Xcape
06-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Thank you both for replying. Can you guys recommend a good approach in creating a rook for chess?

I would start with a disc as the base and bevel my way up to top thats where I'm stuck..the teeth part I hopw you guys see what I mean..

Thanks,
Tri

Hopper
06-22-2009, 05:29 PM
I would start with a disc as the base and bevel my way up to top thats where I'm stuck..the teeth part I hopw you guys see what I mean..
You could always use multishift to creat the "egg" shaped head, then boolean out the mouth and clean up the points.

Silkrooster
06-22-2009, 10:31 PM
A quick google search brought up the following image.
http://graphicshunt.com/images/chess_pieces-12954.htm

Its been so long since I played I couldn't remember what all the peices looked liked or called.

So any way the rook is a simple castle. There isn't really a reason to subpatch it but you can if you want to.
Create the disc then use the extender plus tool with the move and size tool or take Hoppers advice and use multi-shift. The cuts for the top can be done using just a box as a boolean subtraction cutter.
Edit: It may be just as simple to create a profile of the castle then use the lathe tool. Then cut the top.

Dexter2999
06-22-2009, 11:00 PM
You could always use multishift to creat the "egg" shaped head, then boolean out the mouth and clean up the points.

I think you are talking about the Bishop?
The Rook is a Castle turret.

Silkrooster
06-23-2009, 12:20 AM
I know years ago I have seen another shape other than the castle for the rook, but I don't recall what it was. But I think the castle is the most common.

Silkrooster
06-23-2009, 01:05 AM
Here is a quick wire frame that I did a few minutes ago. it is sub patched, so you can see that it can be done.
What I did different was selected two top polys, then across the other side select two polys, rotated my view so i could see the next two polys to select and so on until I had the Top selected.(see attachment) I then used shift Z(merge polys) to create a single poly on top of each part.(sorry don't know what you call them) I then used the bevel tool to increase the height and finally the bevel on top.
This way you do not have to worry about doing a boolean selection with sub patches.
Finally I used the knife tool and added edges any place I wanted it to look sharper.

Silkrooster
06-23-2009, 01:34 AM
Even though I used the bevel tool you may be better off with the multi-shift tool as there will be less steps. Speaking of which I left out the last step and that is to fix the tops to make them not an n-gon. This is one of the side effects of the bevel tool as it does not allow grouping of polys like the multi-shift tool does.

Xcape
06-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi Silkrooster,

I see your image and will take your advice and see if I can do a rook.

Thanks,
Xcape

Xcape
06-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Hi Silkrooster,

Can I ask you..how do you actually model the rook? Did you start with a disc and bevel your way up to top?

I followed your your advise and I think I did it right but when tabbing the top polys are patched also. I think I'm supposed to knife the edges of polys to keepthe shape(am I right?) if so then how do I knife the poly vertically because it knifes the poly in the back also but my backpoly does not match up. please advise..also I have a jpg but don't know how to attach it..please advise me how. Thank you.

Silkrooster
06-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah I kind of left that part out didn't I? Sorry about that. I created a profile with the pen tool and use the lathe tool. I used the default number of side for the lathe tool, but if you plan on sub patching you can get away with a lot less. I would recommend 8 sides, you will find it much easier to work with.
To be honest I preferred how the rook looked before it was sup patched, but then again I didn't add edges to the sides of the top, not doing do makes the sides of the top rounded. To take care of that problem look at the model from the top then you can rotate the rook to create your edges with the knife tool, rotating will make it easier to make sure both sides of the rook are the same. But it isn't really required just find a way thats easy for you.
When subpatching think of it this way if you have 3 edges the further the two outsides edges are away from the center edge the smother and curved the edge will be. The closer the two edges are to the center edge the sharper your corner will be. It works the exact same way as the points in a spline do.

Philbert
06-27-2009, 01:18 AM
Maybe a little late now, but I made a short video tutorial. First time I've made one with audio so go easy on it. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irq4Z6C7MdA

Xcape
07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Not late at all Philbert and I did learn a bit. Thank you for taking the time to make this video. I will add this to my collection.

I'm still trying to create chess pieces.

Xcape

Philbert
07-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Glad you like it. It's funny I have no microphone for my computer so I recorded the video, then wrote myself up a little script, then recorded the audio with the voice recorder that I just got with the iPhone 3.0 upgrade, then emailed the audio files to myself and comped them into the video. It was a fun little project.

Whoever is behind @lightwave3d on Twitter retweeted it so the video has had almost 100 views now.