PDA

View Full Version : Graph Editor

Richard Hebert
06-21-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm trying to animate an object (using Local Axis mode) from point "A" to point "B" on its local Z axis. This is fine until I want to fine tune its Z movement to ramp up or slow down its progress with the Graph Editor. The Graph Editor only utilizes World Axis data. This is making a simple task pretty complex. Am I missing something in the animation process? Still a newbie so any suggestions are fine.

Richard

jameswillmott
06-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Can you parent the Object to a Null. Rotate the Null to orient the Object, then adjust the Zaxis graph of the Object only. It's hard to suggest a solution without knowing the full story of how you intend to move your object.

Richard Hebert
06-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Here's a sample scene with the problem that I'm having. I hope this doesn't require a null setup. This software is beginning to get really involved to do something so basic. I'm trying to alter the sphere's acceleration along its Z axis and not its path of travel.

jameswillmott
06-21-2009, 11:03 PM
OK, so the scene has the speed of the Z axis motion ( in World Space ) adjusted with an easein-easeout, but you want the speed in the object's Z axis adjusted...

Did you just try adjusting the TCB values of all three curves at once? ( Scene attached )

Richard Hebert
06-21-2009, 11:08 PM
Adjusting all three curves at once is new to me (never had to do this before, always a first time though). How do I go about this? Thanks btw for the really fast response.

Richard

jameswillmott
06-21-2009, 11:10 PM
Select all three curves in the channel bin ( left hand side of the Graph editor ) You can then select multiple keys across multiple channels and adjust them at once.

Richard Hebert
06-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the help. I was sitting here playing around with the keyframes and figured out what you were talking about. This makes life a lot simpler and my sincere thanks for eliminating my need for yet another Tylenol tablet!

Richard

jameswillmott
06-21-2009, 11:22 PM
My pleasure. Posting the scene made it so much easier to work out what you were trying to do. Thanks for doing that.

Richard Hebert
06-22-2009, 11:19 AM
This works well for TBC curves, any chance of this working for Bezier curves? Can't seem to duplicate the same results for that type of curve.

Richard

jameswillmott
06-22-2009, 05:35 PM
It will work with beziers, but you'll have to tweak each key a bit differently in order to keep your motion path straight.

Richard Hebert
06-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks once again. In your experience, would it be helpful to have a separate curve dedicated to acceleration only as opposed to having to adjust acceleration with position curves? Just wondering what the pros think about it. I'm partial to the way that After Effects deals with curves.

Richard Hebert

jameswillmott
06-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I have no experience with AfterFX, but I've often thought that being able to define a path with three curves, and an independant curve for time would be a useful thing.

Richard Hebert
06-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Maybe one day...

DrStrik9
06-22-2009, 11:44 PM
Maybe one day...

I used to wish for certain work-alikes to match some other apps too. Adobe's bezier curve implementation is powerful and elegant. But a different interface or method of getting the job done has become less relevant to me, as long as I can get there from here.

When I think I can't get there, I often find that some brilliant person or collaboration seems to come up with a solution I never thought of, and it floors me to realize that I was being too "narrow" in my thinking. I still confuse HOW to get there with the result of BEING there, but I'm widening my horizon on acceptable methods. :-)

And then again, there's always the "Feature Request," which I believe NewTek's program designers take very seriously.

Cheers