PDA

View Full Version : Architectural sunrise ?!

ingo
08-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Hi all LW'ers. I did a rerendering of an old job i have done before in Electric Image (shocking !!!!!), in Lightwave it obviously looks waaay better. Hope you like it.

ingo
www.im-graphics.de

Lude
08-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Nice - i like it.

What about a bit more light at the front from a cars headlights or something.

Or do you think that might draw attention away from the building?

Lude.

Lewis
08-22-2003, 03:22 PM
Looks very cool and nice ingo (i like your arch stuff :)) but i can't see where sun should acctualy be ? Is it in front of building or behind ? I would like to see sun on building reflections. Somehow it would look nicer IMHO :).

Can you show us some statistics ? how many polyes, rendertime, machine specs ....

thanks

ingo
08-23-2003, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the comments. Yes the sun should be visible, you can see a little reflection on the lower end of the top glassbox, why it doesn't appear on the lower box, i have no idea.

Some specs : 1.800.000 polygones, rendertime around 12 hours for an aa enhmed 2000x1100 pixel pic on an old PowerMac G4 450.

regards

ingo
www.im-graphics.com

richpr
08-23-2003, 01:51 AM
Very nice!

I like the color of the light... Looks like the sun is setting...

Strange building... Looks like the top floors are just glass and empty... Nice anyway... Do you have a closer picture or inside?

ingo
08-23-2003, 03:55 AM
Thanks again, you wont believe me but there are some people and some desks inside this glass box, but thanks to the reflections you see nothing of it, what a wasted work ;)

I'm working now on a second shot close to the entrance, i'll post it as soon it is ready. So you can see some of my modelling details.

regards

ingo
www.im-graphics.de

ingo
08-24-2003, 04:06 AM
A new one. Does anyone know how to get a decent motion blur in LW ????

ingo

trick
08-24-2003, 07:11 AM
Vector Blur ?!?

ingo
08-24-2003, 07:39 AM
Thanks, i'll give it a try.

pblacklock
08-24-2003, 02:58 PM
F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!

awesome work except for the blurring effect, it takes away from the great architectural work that you do.

any chance we can get those glass presets, they are awesome.

later,
Paul

Lewis
08-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Much better render ingo :) Now we see real beauty of building.

ingo
08-26-2003, 01:37 AM
Ok, here is the corrected first pic, me idiot forgot to use specular for the lower glass block, so no sunlight reflection :(

ingo

ingo
08-26-2003, 01:38 AM
Here is another closeup for the detailfreaks.

lasco
08-26-2003, 04:43 AM
Hi ingo !
congrats for the stuff it's all good :)
You're damn lucky to get such nice architectural projects.

Now few C&C if you don't mind :

1/ I really prefer the first version of the general view,
the specular shininess on the second is too strong and it's not very clear :
is it the sun reflection ? then it should be little and sharp
is it only specular ? well it's a bit strong…

2/ think the ground should be a bit more clear,
this could besides just be corrected if you render your image with some Backdrop Only radiosity (well sure that on a 450 G4 it's not easy…)

3/ for the motion blur well I'm not sure I trust in Vector Blur that is actually
a post-production 2D effect but after all I never tried it.
Here are few tips you might already know :
- if you want a very good MB the only thing you have to do should be
to set a very high level of antialiasing (well I thinkk this is the key).

- just decrease a bit the speed of your items so that the blurried area is less big

- export your moving objects with buffers (X motion buffer or surface custom buffer though this one is longer to set) and blur them in Photoshop / compositing

ingo
08-26-2003, 06:04 AM
Hi lasco,

thanks for the tip with the motion buffer, i'll give it a try; i used the alpha for the 3D people to blur later. Otherwise vector blur is very nice, but i need to test it a bit more, and combine it with motion blur. And higher aa is definitly no option for my old Mac.

ingo

lasco
08-26-2003, 06:41 AM
don't forget that applying post effects like blur or DOF for example
in PS using the buffers generally is quite similar than applying the post-production
effects of LW itself (like Vector Blur).
BUT there is a difference in the control you have in PS especially on the limits
and outlines of your buffered objects.

For example if you apply Vector Blur on an object that is on the foreground (with
nothing in front of it) the result should be OK, but the 2D blur effect of VB won't work as well if the object is partialy hided by something else and then iit will be better to render it separately with buffers and do everything yourself in PS…

Hope I explained well, sorry for the english

ingo
08-27-2003, 01:54 AM
Youre right, one has to take care that you only blur elements in the foreground, for example no people that run behind a tree.
So here is my last rendering, what makes me think is the reflections and transparency. Just try to find the chair in the lower right corner, its partly invisible. My raytrace limit is set to 5, so for four glasspanes this should be enough, or ?

ingo

Lewis
08-27-2003, 09:39 AM
Hi ingo !

New renders are great :).

AFAIK Raytrace limit ins't just for transparenca. It's for all settings as reflection, transparency, shadow ... so your 5 might not be enough ? Did you tryed 6-8 and see is there any difference ? I might be wrong but i understud that raytrace limit affect all those settings what can be raytreaced on rendering options menu ?

BTW your glass material is great but i would add small Bump map to glass to disort relfections a little bit 'coz no glass is 100% flat and smooth. Did you used LWs preset for glass and colored a bit or you used settings on your own ?

I have now few building renders ready for uploading soon :).

P.S. Is building built in LW or CAD model ?

lasco
08-27-2003, 09:52 AM
very good !
any chances that we see a larger angle view ?
I'd like to understand better how the project works
especially the "hole" in front of the building…

ingo
08-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Hi Lewis,

i tried the limit as high as 12, but there was no visible difference. Since i only look through 4 glasspanes, i thought 5 will be enough.
And as you see in the bigger pictures there is a slight bump map on the glass, its just 3 %. And yes, i started with the outside glass from the presets with a fast fresnel, and depending on the project with different reflection settings. The color is a bit greenish, but i try to avoid it because it can easily get annoying with the reflections.
The modell is build in FormZ, in my opinion the best app for our kind of modelling work, with some additional modelling in LW.

ingo

mega maniac
08-28-2003, 11:18 AM
i think the motion blur detracts from the image, you only get that motion blur if the camera has a high apature (i think thats right), thats in real life anyway, there would be no reason for the shot to be taken with such a setting as the building is motionless. I suppose it coverers up any quick modeling you have done on the cars and people, which is fine if your not good at it, but if the people are modeled well a still frame would be best imho