PDA

View Full Version : June 2009 3D newsletter posted - discussion

BeeVee
06-18-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi all,

Read the latest in June's 3D newsletter (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/newsletter.php).

This month we cover Brendan Bellomo winning a student Academy Award for his marvellous short film Bohemibot, a juicy picture of the month, the UB release of FPrime, project news (Der Eisenturm and V) and an interview with Craig Monins, better known to forum frequenters as RebelHill, about his rigging.

B

Matt
06-18-2009, 06:44 PM
I love these newsletters, really nice quality, you've done well with them Ben.

This bit made me chuckle in the interview with Craig:

NewTek: How long have you been using LightWave?

Craig: Umm... since V6... 2001, I think. I started out with an "unofficial" copy.

NewTek: Where do you work?

LOL, they're coming to throw you in jail Craig! Muhahahahahahaaa!

;)

cresshead
06-18-2009, 08:44 PM
'V' sould be geat, i have all the 80's dvd's.

great story and characters.

RebelHill
06-19-2009, 02:41 AM
LOL, they're coming to throw you in jail Craig! Muhahahahahahaaa!

Nooooooooo....... Im clean now.

IMI
06-19-2009, 05:31 AM
That guy's only 24? Jeez, he looks 40 in that picture at the Oscars. Must have been doing some heavy partying that day...

Is that a pack of rolling papers on Craig's desk? No wonder he's covering his eyes. :D

Cool stories. :thumbsup:

AbnRanger
06-19-2009, 05:41 AM
That guy's only 24? Jeez, he looks 40 in that picture at the Oscars. Must have been doing some heavy partying that day...

Is that a pack of rolling papers on Craig's desk? No wonder he's covering his eyes. :D

Cool stories. :thumbsup:He's covering the tears...Chuck made him cry, after his comment about the Unofficial copy of LW, he received a thank you gesture between the legs. :D

Kuzey
06-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Nooooooooo....... Im clean now.

Craig...I hope you're in talks with Newtek on how to improve rigging/CA tools for the Core. It would be a waste of an opportunity otherwise :hey:

Edit: Ben, you should have included the jeep image by Jet3D as well.....or is there a limit of one image per newsletter :)

Kuzey

RebelHill
06-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Craig...I hope you're in talks with Newtek on how to improve rigging/CA tools for the Core.

Well... Im in hardcore if that counts... being a fully paid up, dongle owning, licencee... lol.

And as for the papers.... Nooooooo.... Not again.... The whole time I was in NY any time I had a ciggie there was always someone standing around to ask "Is that a joint??"

Oddly the only folks who never batted an eyelid at me and my rollups were the good ol NYC and Suffolk County PD... but they probs had bigger things to worry about than lil ol me.

IMI
06-19-2009, 10:07 AM
And as for the papers.... Nooooooo.... Not again.... The whole time I was in NY any time I had a ciggie there was always someone standing around to ask "Is that a joint??"

Well it's kind of rare here to see people rolling their own cigs these days. I see old men doing it occasionally but I haven't seen anyone young doing it in a long time.
But in NY cigs are something like $8.00 a pack what with the taxes and all, so I'd think it might be more common these days. Where I live though we don't have any such taxes.

And especially if you've got long hair and are smoking a home-rolled ciggy - yeah, people are gonna think it's a joint. ;)

littlewaves
06-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Well it's kind of rare here to see people rolling their own cigs these days. I see old men doing it occasionally but I haven't seen anyone young doing it in a long time.
But in NY cigs are something like $8.00 a pack what with the taxes and all, so I'd think it might be more common these days. Where I live though we don't have any such taxes.

And especially if you've got long hair and are smoking a home-rolled ciggy - yeah, people are gonna think it's a joint. ;)

Maybe it's a UK thing. All my friends (late 20's early 30s's) who still smoke roll their own.

Nicolas Jordan
06-19-2009, 06:28 PM
I enjoyed reading the interview with Rebel Hill. I also got into Lightwave at version 6.0. I actually came across the receipt a few days ago while I was going through some old papers. I forgot how much Lightwave was at one time. I bought the educational version of 6.0 for $1550.00 CDN that's with sales tax included. :)

Cageman
06-19-2009, 09:48 PM
This month newsletter was really good. I didn't have a clue about Bohemibot until I read this newsletter. Good to see that the marketing powers at NT can find things that aren't on the normal radar.

Oh and yes... RebelHills rigging is an eye-opener for sure. Looking forward to those tutorials very much!

:)

JBT27
06-20-2009, 04:06 AM
I like RebelHill's interview with NT, in that it highlights both the complexity of rigging and the fact you have to seriously know what you're doing to arrive at what he does.

It's a reminder for people to learn more and practice harder (me included), but also for NT to address the fact that perhaps for many jobs, it shouldn't be that complex and that intimidating.

Also looking forward to those tutorials.

Julian.

RebelHill
06-20-2009, 03:43 PM
...it highlights both the complexity of rigging...

...also for NT to address the fact that perhaps for many jobs, it shouldn't be that complex and that intimidating...

But its really not... and thats kind of whats so good about the rigging in LW... its very accessible... Just take a look here

forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=54&t=769848

to see how "easy" it is in the like of maya... multiple bones chains all with constraint systems to tie theminto one another, and thats just to get simple ik/fk switching... then its still having to use multibone twist, with a weight for each bone... Its nuts the amount of stuff you have to build to get the same level of functionality.

Granted, maya can go far further, and get far more complex rigging going on than LW... but for regular everyday characters, which is the vast majority of stuff... LWs far more accessible, and far quicker and easier to get to grips with.

NT should be proud.

Cageman
06-21-2009, 03:48 PM
But its really not... and thats kind of whats so good about the rigging in LW... its very accessible... Just take a look here

forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=54&t=769848

Ok... I'm going to nitpick... that is 3DS Max, not Maya. But alas... 3DS Max is very expensive compared to LW.

:D