PDA

View Full Version : HD_Instance motion baking crashing LW

heynewt
06-18-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm trying to bake a character's motion with HD_Instance motion scanner, and it crashes LW each time. It's a biped character with bones that has had all the motion baked out in MM.

I actually got it to work one time, but I changed the motion, and now it's crashing each time.

Anyone have any experience with HD_Instance motion scanner? Anyone know why it crashes LW 9.6?

Maybe I'll try an earlier version of LW.

Robert N.

heynewt
06-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Figured out the problem. Please note, because if you use HD Instance, at some point if you're baking out motion you might run into this situation.

The (vague) manual says select all animated objects you want to bake. But it doesn't say they HAVE to be selected in the Scene Editor. If you're just baking a single object, as I was, and you select it in the item selector drop down, and you try to bake, at first you'll get a warning that no item was selected. I knew I had just selected the item I wanted to bake so I thought it meant I had to select an item in the HD INstance tab. So I went in and selected an item in the HD_Instance tab to instance. Went back and tried to bake again. This time it let me start the process, so I figured, yep that was what I was supposed to do.

Then when I click OK, LW crashes.

Finally I realized that "select" means only select items in the Scene Editor (that may be the general concept of "select in LW, but for me on a daily basis the "current item" drop down is what I use (which also selects the item in the Scene Editor, but I digress).

So this is not a bug, but it sure would be helpful in the manual if it said "Choose the animated items you want to bake by selecting them only in the Scene Editor".

Hope this someone else in the future.

Robert N.

jwiede
06-19-2009, 03:00 AM
Still a bug worth reporting, probably to Happy Digital as it appears to be something HDI is doing that crashes LW. You shouldn't be able to choose options that cause the main application to crash. Put up an error, sure, but not crash.