PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.6 Vue 7.5 compatibility, tutorials, & help?

dvfx
06-18-2009, 11:08 AM
Does anyone have a list of settings to make this work as expected. Been futzing with it for a few weeks and it's pretty buggy, annoying, unpredictable. The documentation is not the best.

The biggest issues for me are the lights and materials. Seems I can get one element looking okay but, others are blown out or texture-less.
I've been using LW forever but very new to Vue.

Also if there are any tutorials that are specific to LW and Vue and their integration that people can vouch for, I'm interested in hearing about them.

Thanks for input!

dvfx
06-18-2009, 03:23 PM
...worked out some of the material issues. The defaults are tiny! had to increase my material on hills to 50m (when they're small looks like there's nothing on them but color) Still looking into lighting issues....

clagman
06-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Can you be more specific about the issues? I've done a bunch of testing recently to benchmark xStream vs Vue and make some work arounds for lingamma problems so maybe I can help.

dvfx
06-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Clagman,
some of it I'm sure is just me being new to Vue or what "normal" operation is. But I know there are bugs that are causing Vue to crash and result in unfavorable results. I'm still just trying to track all of them down. And am in a dialog with Vue Technical support (forum ;| ) here are a few issues I'm having.

First off, I notice that when I create a terrain the Y (Up) in LW is flattened and I need to manually stretch it up for it to look the way it does in the terrain editor.

Secondly, often when hitting F9 to render Vue will give an error that says "Function Unavailable", "the renderer you are trying to use is not registered in your Vue 7 xStream installation" (???) (Vue xStream is licensed and registered, LW too) then it crashes or renders objects white or black.

Other than those issues.... Are there a list of settings that you set in LW or Vue when you start a new project to maintain a consistent environment between LW and Vue? Like scale, or Rendering or Lighting defaults?

thanks in advance!
D

clagman
06-29-2009, 08:59 AM
The F9 issue is probably the way the "options" are set. If you haven't done this already, go to the menu item "Vue 7 xStream>File>Options" and select the option to render Vue objects with Vue settings. Edit those and make sure that it isn't setup to use "external renderer" which is for network rendering and such.

Also I have found that options that you have setup when you run Vue in standalone mode will also affect xStream renders so you have to open Vue and set it up as well. Some of these will vary from project to project but the baseline things like the default atmosphere. I found that I didn't care for the default that it comes with so I set it up at 18,000 ft which I believe is more accurate anyway. Also enable adaptive sampling (in Vue) and set the samples to 256-400. Mine was off by default. Makes a HUGE difference in rendering times. Haven't quite gotten the hang of setting photon maps yet, stay tuned. Always use radiosity rather than simple illumination or AO shading for a more realistic look (unless scene is simple or your pressed for time).

The real problem is that Vue adjusts internally while LW does not so typical solutions like linearizing sky colors to compensate for applying a 2.2 gamma later doesn't work (for the sky anyway). This means you NEED to be able to seperate the atmosphere from the objects so you can linearize the colors of all the Vue objects and correct them seperate from the atmosphere. If you are not using linear gamma type setup you may not care so much.

Turn the cloud color (volumetric color) down from pure white. Helps to keep them from blowing out.

If you are doing anything in post I would say to disable the "film response" filter.

If you use the ray marching evaulation it will affect the alpha.

A couple of "don't do" items would be using the Vue generated camera. It has a nasty bug at the moment where it can lose keyframe data or corrupt the motion data. Lets see... there is a lot more but I just can't think of it right now (in the middle of a project).

dvfx
07-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Great info, I'll look into these.

"...make sure that it isn't setup to use "external renderer" which is for network rendering and such."

Good advice, but this is unchecked...I'm using internal LW renderer. Still crashes I'm calling this a BUG.

"Also I have found that options that you have setup when you run Vue in standalone mode will also affect xStream renders so you have to open Vue and set it up as well."

Will check this out.

"...using the Vue generated camera. It has a nasty bug at the moment where it can lose keyframe data or corrupt the motion data."

Yeah discoverd this too! It sucks!

What also is maddening is that Vue always switches to the Main Vue Camera after any Vue dialog is edited.
You have to continue to reselect Camera and switch back to your new LW Camera to view lighting or whatever (not sure if this is a setting or BUG).

I've been working with support but they are SLOW and no help so far. Kind of ridiculous considering the cost of the software. Personally for my experience, I would classify this software as BETA.

D

clagman
07-06-2009, 07:33 AM
If you are still checking this...I thought of something today. When you install you have the option of installing a nodelocked install or a floating one (for management with a license server). If you installed the wrong one it probably would give you all kinds of hell trying to get anything to work.

dvfx
07-06-2009, 04:11 PM
also good info, but unfortunately that's not the issue for me.

I'm really getting tired of E-on "techincal support" it takes about 5 working days (M-F) for them to respond and so far they have been useless.
I will continue to check this, and I'll post any info I get or discover.

thanks for your input!!!

D