PDA

View Full Version : Questions About MAC and LW

elijahnow
06-17-2009, 06:18 PM
I have been using PC's for a while now, and just bought a G5. It has one 1.8 GHz processor, 3.5 gig of ram, and is running Leopard.
I look at my NewTek downloads and saw there are two versions I can download of LW 9.6 for the MAC (Mac OSX Power PC and Mac OSX Universal Binary). Which version should I use?
Also how good will LW run on this machine?
Thanks

JeffrySG
06-17-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd run the UB version unles you needed to run a plugin for the CFM (powerpc) version. The G5s are pretty old now. It might be slow but I would think it would work fine.

Ps. You can install both versions too if you want.

accom
06-18-2009, 12:39 AM
G5 is obsolete... nevermind, I was happy with it, it was rock-solid.

Macs have gone through PowerPC to Intel processor transition. With this HW transition a SW transition was inevitable. So, most of the (big) SW players now deliver two "flavours" of applications - PPC and UB, where PPC stands for PowerPC and UB stands for Universal Binary. PPC runs natively on old (G3, G4, G5) and under Rosseta on Intels (slow). UB contains both, PPC and Intel versions of application and runs natively (faster) on both machines.

So, since your G5 is a PPC, both versions will run natively, and you can install both of them. I'd work mainly in UB, and, as JeffrySG said, ran a PPC version only in need of some plugins that only exist in PPC version.

If I remember correctly, UB is a bit faster than PPC. (Can someone approve that opinion?).

Hope it helps.

elijahnow
06-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll download both, but I'll run the UB version.
One other question about G5's. I understand the one I have may run LW a little slow, how do the dual processor G5's perform with LW 9.6?
Thanks again

JeffrySG
06-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll download both, but I'll run the UB version.
One other question about G5's. I understand the one I have may run LW a little slow, how do the dual processor G5's perform with LW 9.6?
Thanks again

I haven't tried LW on a multi-processor G5 but I would imagine it would run as it runs on the IntelMacs. You don't need to do anything. The extra processors just will render each at the same time during the rendering process. For example on my quad-core it renders at 4 different points during the rendering process.

accom
06-19-2009, 12:37 AM
LW 9.6 handles multithreading automatically. So, if you have more cores, it adjusts multithreading to number of available CPUs. You can adjust it to your preferences manualy, for example, if you run out of memory, you could lower the multithreading to preserve RAM usage (of course, a the account of processing power = speed). So in general you dont have to worry about it.

Get yourself a system monitoring SW like MenuMeters

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/

to monitor your CPUs usage.

As far as multiprocessor G5 performance: of course you gain speed. How much is hard to tell, but I guess it's rather simple math - dual proc would be twice as fast...

I had a 2.0 DualCore G5 with 4 GB of RAM running LW 9.2 (I guess). A real life project render took cca. 80 minutes.

The new, 8 core 2.8 intel with 8GB RAM running LW 9.6 UB rendered the same scene much faster, aproximately 9 minutes, allmost 10 times faster!
Do not forget that some of speed gain was due to newer version of LW.

LW on your machine runs perfectly fine, just rendering is slower, so if you're not under deadline pressure, don't worry about it... My opinion: if you purchased G5 to get to know macs, cool. If you intend to get to know LW, cool. If you plan to make a living with it, get yourself a newer, intel based mac. My first generation MacBook (1.8 GHz DuoCore/2GB RAM) is faster than 2.0 GHz DuoCore G5 in allmost all operations.

plankton
06-19-2009, 06:00 AM
I'm currently using a powerbook 17' 1.67 machine with 1gig of ram, and am thinking of getting a new 17'macbook pro 2.8gig duocore with 4 gig of ram..

Just wondering if anyone has been using lightwave on a new macbook pro, and how well it performs?

I love doing 3d work, but it really is a drag when its very slow.... hoping the new macbook pro's rock with lightwave....

sid.

Kuzey
06-19-2009, 06:14 AM
I love doing 3d work, but it really is a drag when its very slow.... hoping the new macbook pro's rock with lightwave....

sid.

Don't forget, there is no Cocoa version of LW9.6+ yet, that should make a huge difference in performance :hey:

Kuzey

elijahnow
06-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Hey thanks for all the help with LW and my G5. I hope to move up to a later faster model G5 or a hopefully a new machine, later this year, and give this one to my wife.

accom
06-22-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm currently using a powerbook 17' 1.67 machine with 1gig of ram, and am thinking of getting a new 17'macbook pro 2.8gig duocore with 4 gig of ram..

Just wondering if anyone has been using lightwave on a new macbook pro, and how well it performs?

sid.

LW has some serious problems on OSX at the moment... ther's quite a few threads on the subject. So, if you're happy with the stability on your old PowerBook, keep it as a backup... Going for a new MBP is a way to go, rendering will be A LOT faster.

Myself - I'll keep working in LW under OSX, 'cause I belive that these problems mentioned earlier, will get resolved... and in 'extreme conditions' LW still offers me a possibility to work under Windows. :)