PDA

View Full Version : Cantarcans homepage for dynamite..Gone?

prometheus
06-17-2009, 04:19 PM
havent been able to see that page the last days, I sometimes check it out
to see if heīs doing updates or something.
Maybe itīs finally dead and gone now, or something wrong with his
page or his provider, or maybe an update is about to come..who the heck
knows?

Michael

borkus
06-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Many have said that he hasn't responded to emails for months on end. Pity, as I looked into buying it when it first came out. Seemed to be quite the plugin. But, without further development, and many saying that there were prominent bugs in the last available version, I'm glad I kept my Benjamen's in my pocket....

mav3rick
06-18-2009, 10:02 AM
cOOl :) no more dynamite... rip ... too sad but finally gone... waiting for comeback was painfull nough

Matt
06-18-2009, 11:43 AM
I would have been livid had I bought that plugin. The total lack of communication and support and now total disappearance is a perfect lesson on how not to treat your customers.

I wonder what actually happened to the man.

Nicolas Jordan
06-18-2009, 12:07 PM
I would have been livid had I bought that plugin. The total lack of communication and support and now total disappearance is a perfect lesson on how not to treat your customers.

I wonder what actually happened to the man.

With the few bits info available I have come to the conclusion that the man must have either died suddenly or has been kidnapped by 3 aliens in the middle of the night and is now being held until the amount of $1 million in ransom is paid. :D

mav3rick
06-18-2009, 12:22 PM
well just a word of abandon would be a fair to people that ordered this plugin...

UnCommonGrafx
06-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Hope newtek managed to get the remains...

IMI
06-18-2009, 12:28 PM
With the few bits info available I have come to the conclusion that the man must have either died suddenly or has been kidnapped by 3 aliens in the middle of the night and is now being held until the amount of $1 million in ransom is paid. :D

You seem to know quite a bit about it.
Have you figured out yet how you're going to get the million bucks and get away with it? :D

AbnRanger
06-18-2009, 03:55 PM
havent been able to see that page the last days, I sometimes check it out
to see if heīs doing updates or something.
Maybe itīs finally dead and gone now, or something wrong with his
page or his provider, or maybe an update is about to come..who the heck
knows?

MichaelCould it be that NT....wait for it, wait for it....hired Cantarcan, as they did the FiberFX dev? Not saying they did, but it's hard to imagine that he would remove any chance for LW users to buy his plugin...updates or not. It was actually very promising to have something that can rival the look of Max's Afterburn and FumeFX or Maya's Fluids.

AbnRanger
06-18-2009, 03:59 PM
With the few bits info available I have come to the conclusion that the man must have either died suddenly or has been kidnapped by 3 aliens in the middle of the night and is now being held until the amount of $1 million in ransom is paid. :DGuess they took on the liability of feeding this man indefinitely...not to mention rent, clothing, healthcare costs, movie rentals, etc....cause nobody's coming after him, unless he owed them some money. :D

GregMalick
06-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Could it be that NT....wait for it, wait for it....hired Cantarcan, as they did the FiberFX dev? Not saying they did, but it's hard to imagine that he would remove any chance for LW users to buy his plugin...updates or not. It was actually very promising to have something that can rival the look of Max's Afterburn and FumeFX or Maya's Fluids.

I seriously doubt NT took him on or purchased the plugin.

Why?

Because NT only seems to absorb plugins i actually opted to get:
rounder, relativity, fiberFX, NODAL...

Since I didn't purchase this one - I'd say my karma is against it. ;D

Chuck
06-18-2009, 04:50 PM
I seriously doubt NT took him on or purchased the plugin.

Why?

Because NT only seems to absorb plugins i actually opted to get:
rounder, relativity, fiberFX, NODAL...

Since I didn't purchase this one - I'd say my karma is against it. ;D

Reminds me, we've been meaning to check with you to see if we'd missed anything... ;)

I'll just activate the hidden "Tell me what plugins Greg is using" software routine right now...

UnCommonGrafx
06-18-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks, Greg!!
If you had purchased it maybe we would've gotten it!!

Off to whine alone...

GregMalick
06-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Reminds me, we've been meaning to check with you to see if we'd missed anything... ;)

I'll just activate the hidden "Tell me what plugins Greg is using" software routine right now...

Ohh no, you're not fooling me into revealing I'm looking at purchasing SmartMorph.

no way, jose! I'm keeping my mouth shut this time. 8/

[Edit]
Damn! You tricked me again! :cursin:

OlaHaldor
07-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Any news on this? I had the $$$ ready right now - and was nothing but stunned and thought I'd crack into tears when there was only a big white wall of nothing... :(

Greenlaw
07-06-2009, 12:31 AM
All I can say is that I'm glad I got Dynamite Pro while it was available. Even with its bugs, this plug-in is still the easiest and best way to generate fluid 3D smoke and fireball effects directly LightWave.

I'm not holding my breath, but I still hope Cantarcan makes a grand comeback someday. Or I hope something similar (and better) comes along soon--we always have a great need for this sort of thing.

Greenlaw

prometheus
07-06-2009, 09:17 AM
All I can say is that I'm glad I got Dynamite Pro while it was available. Even with its bugs, this plug-in is still the easiest and best way to generate fluid 3D smoke and fireball effects directly LightWave.

I'm not holding my breath, but I still hope Cantarcan makes a grand comeback someday. Or I hope something similar (and better) comes along soon--we always have a great need for this sort of thing.

Greenlaw
Im glad I didnīt buy it, especially if its blown away with dynamite or gone from the face of the earth:)

Im not hoping for a comeback, and even so..I would feel very insecure about buying it due to earlier feedback,information and update history.

What I do hope thou, It is that Newtek has taken it under it wings to
create something new or expand on dynamites quality and features.
Especially since nothing else is revealed on if and when and how a fluid
system will show up in Lw core.

I donīt think dynamite fluids could reach that good quality level in itīs fluids and was to limiting at that stage, unfortunatly the latest demo releases was crashing and with bugs.
The voxels metaball technology, and polyons and fireshader is something for newtek to use in new voxels..not sure about the noises for dynamites textures..Id prefer the old hypervoxels textures..and even if you could use those in dynamite ..it didnt work well...slow and buggy and not the same good results as in hypervoxels.

Michael

Greenlaw
07-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Im glad I didnīt buy it, especially if its blown away with dynamite or gone from the face of the earth:)...

That's an odd thing to be happy about. For now, at least, unless you already have Dynamite Pro, there is nothing else available for LightWave that does what it did best: fluid volumetric effects. We use HyperVoxels here too (a lot!,) but it can't be compared to Dynamte Pro in fluids mode--in fluids mode, it produces a completely different effect that HV's and PFX simply can't touch.

I do agree that, now that Dynamite Pro has left a big hole in the LightWave market, maybe this will inspire another party to fill it with something better. I don't know what NewTek has up their sleeves, but somehow I feel their hands are currently too full developing CORE and LW HC to even think about improving HyperVoxels or creating a replacement for Dynamite Pro. (I do hope they prove me wrong though.)

Just my two-cents. :)

Greenlaw

prometheus
07-09-2009, 05:12 AM
That's an odd thing to be happy about. For now, at least, unless you already have Dynamite Pro, there is nothing else available for LightWave that does what it did best: fluid volumetric effects. We use HyperVoxels here too (a lot!,) but it can't be compared to Dynamte Pro in fluids mode--in fluids mode, it produces a completely different effect that HV's and PFX simply can't touch.

I do agree that, now that Dynamite Pro has left a big hole in the LightWave market, maybe this will inspire another party to fill it with something better. I don't know what NewTek has up their sleeves, but somehow I feel their hands are currently too full developing CORE and LW HC to even think about improving HyperVoxels or creating a replacement for Dynamite Pro. (I do hope they prove me wrong though.)

Just my two-cents. :)
Greenlaw

To clarify...I would have been happy if it wasnīt buggy and if it were updated and implemented with wind dynamics and particle integration and
better quality.

Is it that hard to understand me being glad not investing in a product that
seems to have stopped and no further support or development??

I havenīt really seen anyone showing off impressive stuff with it yet, if you have some shots or links to some shots..I would be interested to see it.

and donīt get me wrong..dynamite was promising and sure some fire fluid and smoke stuff outmatches hypervoxels..but, bugs and some quality issues, made me decide itīs not worth it at this stage.

Ill rather actually invest in a the whole 3d max package and fume fx or
Houdini with pyro fx , instead of an halfe finished product with bugs and no updates.

If newtek would have jumped in and started to develop it I would be pretty happy again thou..then I probably could leave my worries about
development pace,updates and support when it was in cantarcanīs hands.

Again..I would be happy to see some fluid samples from you if you can show.

Michael

http://www.vimeo.com/user680656/videos/sort:date

allabulle
07-09-2009, 05:17 AM
In the video you can see Jarrod Davis using the plug-in to do the nuke explosion for "24":

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/featured_24.php

prometheus
07-09-2009, 05:43 AM
In the video you can see Jarrod Davis using the plug-in to do the nuke explosion for "24":

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/featured_24.php

well yeah I know that one..

thatīs only dynamites voxels in particle mode on polyon/polygons rotated
and some hypervoxels for the stem..itīs pretty okey but not wow impressive
and itīs not the fluid enginge.

Dynamites particle fireshader and metaball blending is sweet, but there you
go...it is buggy at this version unless using 64 bit.

I would like to see a fire sim with cooling thick smoke at the end..or explosives directly simulated from the fluids, thatīs the hard one.
Maya fluids and and fume fx can acheive that by using native wind forces or particles velocity to create the sim.

Michael

Greenlaw
07-09-2009, 08:48 AM
We've used Dynamite Pro to varying degrees in most of out game trailers, cinematics, and commercials, usually for vapor and dust effects, but also for some explosions. Sometimes it's an element by itself, but usually (as with HV's,) the effect is combined with natural elements. (Purely cg pyro tends to look, well, 'cg'.)

Some examples that I can immediately recall are the Project Gotham Racing trailer, Call of Duty trailers, and the Quaker State commercial we did. Here's PGR:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/x06-trailer-project-gotham/13577

For the game stuff, it's better to go to Gametrailers.com to see bigger videos. I think you can see all of them at the Rythm & Hues website, but it's been a while since I last looked.

Ken Wilder may be able to cite more past examples since he does most of the pyro and volumetric stuff here.

I'm not particularly happy that Dynamite Pro is no longer supported. Even with its bugs, it's been a very useful tool to us, but it's only a matter of time before it breaks, and then we'll need to look elsewhere to produce this type of effect.

Greenlaw

Greenlaw
07-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Oh, I forgot I used it quite bit for the Fable 2 trailer we did a while back, but it was combined with heavy doses of the free vlam plug-in in Fusion.

Greenlaw

Phil
07-09-2009, 09:03 AM
The Dynamic Realities site has vanished as well - their products were similarly abandoned due to the lack of health in the LW plugin market.
With the build-up to Core, and the retirement of LW classic, it's likely we'll see more of this shutting up of shop. I've already heard enough bad news from other developers about their cancellation of work on any LW classic plugins going forward, and in some cases they aren't planning to support Core - the return on investment is expected to be too slight for them to justify it.
It's all rather frustrating, if understandable. It also highlights how reliance on 3rd party addons to plug fundamental gaps in your product will come back and bite you.

Amurrell
07-09-2009, 09:17 AM
I don't know about the return on investment being too slight for them. The language that they can write in is more powerful and CORE is to be much more friendly for thrid part developers, allowing them to make CORE as well as their own products much more powerful and capable than what was previously (or currently) possible. The only limitaion that I can see for the future is talent and imagination when it comes to developing plugins for the future NT product.

Phil
07-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Ah, but many have pointed out that turning development efforts towards, say, iPhone or even small, standalone apps, brings more significant return. *shrug*

Lightwolf
07-09-2009, 09:40 AM
The language that they can write in is more powerful and CORE is to be much more friendly for thrid part developers, allowing them to make CORE as well as their own products much more powerful and capable than what was previously (or currently) possible. The only limitaion that I can see for the future is talent and imagination when it comes to developing plugins for the future NT product.
The language is the one I use now. And Core is surely going to be more friendly to code for.
However, it's all speculation at this point. There is no SDK to check out, no product to code for (it's not even clear which areas one could or should look at for enhancements). <Insert car analogy here>

One thing that is happening is interest for LW 9.x plugins has certainly declined. As a third party that means we're between a rock and a hard place. We can still support existing customers but aren't as likely to get new ones. On the other hand, there is little else to do. Developing a new product now for LW 9.x doesn't make sense... developing one for Core isn't possible (and doesn't make sense until Core has matured into something that is shaped like a final V1.0 release).

Basically, it's a situation similar to what the users face. And I suppose options are similar as well.

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
07-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Ah, but many have pointed out that turning development efforts towards, say, iPhone or even small, standalone apps, brings more significant return. *shrug*
Yup. Well, CG is a niche market... even if you look at all products out there. And being a third party for a niche doesn't make it much better. The user base for the iPhone is multiple times that of all 3D apps put together plus you get direct access to every single potential customer.

It's certainly an option to think about - I suspect it will get harder to compete there as well as the market matures though.

Cheers,
Mike

monovich
07-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I am bummed to hear that it vanished. I bought it and only used it twice in paying jobs, but it paid for itself in those brief moments.

Its a limited but very fun plugin, and I definitely plan on getting more out of it before all is said and done.

edit:

the state of 9.x plugins is interesting to read about, though. Development may have slowed, but why does it seem like we are at a plugin zenith these days? There are more great plugins than I have time to learn.

When core comes out, it'll probably be a who new plugin gold rush. It may start a little slow, but if it really is as great as they claim, its a wild wild west for developers because everyone has to start from scratch rebuilding their library.

Intuition
07-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Yeah, its Autodesk or Side Effects (Houdini) world now. In like a year or two Core may start taking back market share. It sucks now but really is the best thing NT has done to stay competitive. Linux version will ensure users regardless of what happens with google vs microsoft OS too.

I think modo will come into near full app status in two years time as well.

NT is in a tough spot, Softimage lost users with the switch to XSI and it wasn't until v4 that I started to see users come back to check it out. I don't think Newtek will have that difficult a time with Core what with its high level of UI customization that seems apparent.

In the meantime I have Maya, Max, XSI, and modo with the various render engines and plugs. I am sad that dynamite is gone and I even still have many of my boxes for the old dynamic realities plugs like pstorm 2 and impact. Nostalgia galore in my closet with all the app boxes you could throw a stick at, even LW v4.

I'll have to post a pic. :D

I miss using Mike's infinimap. Wish I had it in modo or Autodesk suite.

allabulle
07-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Yeah, its Autodesk or Side Effects (Houdini) world now. In like a year or two Core may start taking back market share. It sucks now but really is the best thing NT has done to stay competitive. Linux version will ensure users regardless of what happens with google vs microsoft OS too.

I think modo will come into near full app status in two years time as well.

NT is in a tough spot, Softimage lost users with the switch to XSI and it wasn't until v4 that I started to see users come back to check it out. I don't think Newtek will have that difficult a time with Core what with its high level of UI customization that seems apparent.

In the meantime I have Maya, Max, XSI, and modo with the various render engines and plugs. I am sad that dynamite is gone and I even still have many of my boxes for the old dynamic realities plugs like pstorm 2 and impact. Nostalgia galore in my closet with all the app boxes you could throw a stick at, even LW v4.

I'll have to post a pic. :D

I miss using Mike's infinimap. Wish I had it in modo or Autodesk suite.

I'd like to see that picture!