PDA

View Full Version : Trying to retarget Mocap files

heynewt
06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
I have to retarget some Mocap files from a rig that doesn't fit my character to one that does fit. All the bone names are identical.

I tried using IK_Boost, but the copy/paste function of IK_Boost is not giving me the options of pasting from one character to the other - just from one character to itself.

Ok, so let's try Motion Mixer.

Create an actor, save out the mocap motion. But when I load in the new actor (character with correct rig), even though it has identical bones names, MM says it can't find the bones. Arrghhh.

I know this is pure operator error, but I'm poring over the manual trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, and I can't see it.

My backup plan is to copy individual bone motions to .mot files, and hopefully they will paste in. Seems like there must be a faster way to do this.

My buddy who uses Character Studio is laughing at me right now. ;(

Robert N.

heynewt
06-17-2009, 01:22 PM
UPDATE: Ok, for some reason copying individual motion files just made a mess.

I'll go back and start over. This should have taken 1/2 hour. I'm on hour 16 now.

This is just another of those LW things I don't get. You see, MAX actually advertises Character Studio as a quick way to retarget mocap files. It's something people use all the time. But Lightwave apparently doesn't see this as something a potential buyer might find useful. Sigh.

SplineGod
06-17-2009, 05:19 PM
In IKBoost you can copy/paste poses and motion clips between characters as long as the bone setups are the same.
I do this all the time.

heynewt
06-17-2009, 05:44 PM
As usual, thanks Larry. You're not just the spline god, you're the IK-Boost god as well!

I wish I had spent the time learning IK Boost. It seems like a great addition to LW. But it's a bear to get up to speed on.

The manual has about 2 sentences on copy and paste motion. Thinking it would be as easy as saving and loading LW motion files, I tried it. But it's not giving me the options in the motion drop-down that I expected.

Ok, so I'm sitting here in Layout with my animated/baked mocap skeleton, and an identical skeleton with no motion (the arm and head bones of which have been slightly adjusted to fit my character mesh). I apply IK boost to both skeletons. Ok, now I've got two identical skeletons, one animated, one not, both with IK Boost applied. So far so good. But when I select the root of the mocap animated skeleton and I go to the IK-Boost drop down menu, the only options I have under "Motion" are to Copy Pose or Motion of my non-animated skeleton. It doesn't give me the option of copying the character's motion which I've selected, only the OTHER character's motion. Huh???? I've spent about 3 hours trying every trick I could think of to actually get the animated character's motion copied and pasted onto the non-animated character. Should take 10 seconds, but it's just not giving me that option.

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, I just don't know what.

It's frustrating, because I'm late as hell delivering these characters, and I'm about to lose this job to a guy using Character Studio who keeps harping on how easy it is to do this in "his" program to the producers.

Robert

RebelHill
06-17-2009, 06:04 PM
u can do this with load from scene in no time too.

Have bones in one scene, no amination... bones in other scene... with keys... as long as everything has the same names... load the blank scene, choose load from scene, and the animated scene... select the items with animation on from the list, and check the "load only motion envelopes"...

one thing to note...

Uve got motion copying... but NOT motion retargeting. If ur characters are of different scales/proportions, u will end up with foot slide, and other such mismatches.

heynewt
06-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Hmm, that should work. I built my character to the exact scale of the mocap bones (to be safe), so there's no scale issue. I'll try that. Hold on.

Robert

heynewt
06-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Didn't work. In load from scene, my only option of course is to load an object (in this case the base null). That loads fine, and only the motion gets transferred to the blank scene's base null.

BUT... the motion of each bone from the animated skeleton is not loaded. No bone motions are loaded at all. And this is a clone of the original skeleton with just slight adjustments to the arm and head bones.

Thanks for the tip though. Seems like it should have worked.

Robert N.

SplineGod
06-17-2009, 10:55 PM
When using IKB select the controller for the character itself then right click on the node and select Motion Tools.
Select Motion Copy from... (doesnt matter what it says after 'from' at this point)
A pop up menu will appear that will let you select the item you wish to copy the motion from. Select the other character and set the Paste Item to child mode.
Leave mirror to none and keys to overwrite.
This option allows you to copy poses and motions not only from one character to another but from an arm or leg for example only and to even mirror the poses and motions.
You can save the motion clips and reuse them if you want in the same way.

RebelHill
06-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Seems like it should have worked.

ahhh... well if there was no motions only option... then ur on an earlier version... this features is in 9.5/6

heynewt
06-18-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm working in 9.6. The motion option is there, but it doesn't copy bone motions over, just object motins.

heynewt
06-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks Larry for that tip. Finally got a motion of sorts copied over. It was a mess. We've given up on IK Boost and got it sort of jury-rigged in motion mixer.

Thanks for the advice. Clearly I need to take your course!

Robert

When using IKB select the controller for the character itself then right click on the node and select Motion Tools.
Select Motion Copy from... (doesnt matter what it says after 'from' at this point)
A pop up menu will appear that will let you select the item you wish to copy the motion from. Select the other character and set the Paste Item to child mode.
Leave mirror to none and keys to overwrite.
This option allows you to copy poses and motions not only from one character to another but from an arm or leg for example only and to even mirror the poses and motions.
You can save the motion clips and reuse them if you want in the same way.

SplineGod
06-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Are the two rigs setup identically?

heynewt
06-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Yes, it's exactly the same rig. I took the mocap rig, deleted all the motion from it, went into bone tools and adjusted the skeleton to fit the character (only very slightly, no scale changes at all). Then I re-loaded from scene the same mocap rig WITH motion. I applied IK Boost to both of them, then copied the motion from the the animated rig to the blank rig (again, these rigs are twins). The blank rig accepted the motion, but it's a complete mess, nothing resembling the original motion.

Robert

SplineGod
06-18-2009, 05:41 PM
strange! Send me the rig and mocap file. Ill check it out.