PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed II trailer

akademus
06-17-2009, 06:47 AM
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-assassins-creed/50139

I don't play games, but this is one great trailer!

Just the heads up.

Cheers!

P.S. Click the download button on the bottom bar. There you can DL mov or wmv.

AdamAvenali
06-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Digic, Blizzard and Blur Studios are the three best cinematic studios as far as I'm concerned.

quoted for agreement! :agree:

vashts
06-17-2009, 09:08 AM
It's really great. But.. have you seen Blur's S"tar Wars: The Old Republic" cinematic?
http://www.gametrailers.com/download/49936/t_starwor_e309_jedivs_cm_hd.mov

:alien:

IMI
06-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Assassin's Creed trailer looks great. I mean, that's just [email protected] :thumbsup:

Unfortunately I'm suspecting the game itself will be more of the same old same old and probably out for PS long before PC.

Don't get me wrong, Assassin's Creed 1 is a pretty cool game really, but gets a bit repetitive. And while it has excellent graphics, there's so much they could have done but didn't, such as more physics, more interaction with the world. More options for gameplay, more quests, less linear.

Sarford
06-17-2009, 05:23 PM
I think the Assassins Creed II trailer is one of the best game cinematics I have ever seen! It is almost unbelieveble that this is all CG!! The cinematography is pretty good also. I've seen it several times now and it keeps fresh. Hope the game comes close to the trailer (I loved Assassins Creed I).

doimus
06-18-2009, 03:04 AM
I almost wish they made a full blown movie in this style. This is so amazing it's a shame to go "wasted" just for advertising purposes.
No really, this is leaps ahead from any cinematic I have ever seen, and I suspect it has A LOT to do with it being set in a historic environment. Leech kings and light-saber warriors are so kindergarten compared to this.

Cageman
06-18-2009, 05:33 AM
http://www.digicpictures.com/ - these guys do some of the best cinematic work out there. Digic, Blizzard and Blur Studios are the three best cinematic studios as far as I'm concerned.

Hehe... :) I agree... I was floored when I saw the Assains Creed trailer... something to aspire to for sure! They spent 6 months on it, and it shows!

But, I'm actually more impressed with studios like R&H the Box because they can do some very good looking stuff in a very short time, with a relatively small crew (12 artists as far as I know).

We managed to do this one (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-launch-world-in/46563) in 12 weeks (12 artists) from scratch to finish, which I think is quite OK in comparsion to most other CGI-trailers.

borkus
06-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Cageman, that was awesome. Love the little monkey on the thumb opening. And the rocket guy towards the end. "Oh crap...". Not quite the vernacular I would have used at that moment...

Captain Obvious
06-19-2009, 08:01 PM
These cinematics are nice and all, but I question the priorities of games companies. 12 artists for 12 weeks is a fair bit of time, time perhaps better spent at actually working on the game itself. I do realize that you need to advertise the game in order for anyone to buy it, regardless of how good it is, but tying up a whole studio for half a year to do ONE cinematic just strikes me as an obscene waste of resources, especially considering that most of the high-end titles released nowadays are really buggy and barely even qualify as beta versions.

We managed to do this one (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-launch-world-in/46563) in 12 weeks (12 artists) from scratch to finish, which I think is quite OK in comparsion to most other CGI-trailers.
That's actually very nice, especially considering production time.

borkus
06-19-2009, 08:51 PM
These cinematics are nice and all, but I question the priorities of games companies. 12 artists for 12 weeks is a fair bit of time, time perhaps better spent at actually working on the game itself. I do realize that you need to advertise the game in order for anyone to buy it, regardless of how good it is, but tying up a whole studio for half a year to do ONE cinematic just strikes me as an obscene waste of resources, especially considering that most of the high-end titles released nowadays are really buggy and barely even qualify as beta versions.

Quoted for agreement. But, it would seem that the crowd that predominantly buys games nowadays want to see pretty graphics in between the half-assed gametime. Puzzles me to no end. We can only hope that these people, Cageman for example, get put to use in the actual game. But, the studios don't appear to want to allot the time for the artists to do their thing. So, the catch 22 comes in... Make the game within the exceptable confines of the severely attention-lacking populace that makes up the constituent of the primary buying force and you have the formula that most of us don't like... Maybe in a perfect world we'll see, some day, a game that is worth what it should be...

IMI
06-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Maybe in a perfect world we'll see, some day, a game that is worth what it should be...

I think the next time that will happen will be Half Life 3. :D

Cageman
06-19-2009, 11:21 PM

Yes... that would make alot of sense if we (the cinematics team) were the only artists in the studio. Fortunately, that doesn't apply since there are plenty of other artists who are game graphics artists and does a very, very good job at that. Aside from doing these HighRes cinematics, the cinematics team is also doing alot of ingame cutscenes, using the realtime engine. So, we are a dedicated team (smaller than the game art team btw) that do promotional materal as well as material for use in game.

:)

That's actually very nice, especially considering production time.

Thanks! :)

Captain Obvious
06-20-2009, 04:43 AM
Yes... that would make alot of sense if we (the cinematics team) were the only artists in the studio. Fortunately, that doesn't apply since there are plenty of other artists who are game graphics artists and does a very, very good job at that.
Well, of course but it doesn't change the fact that the company is spending resources on promotion material even though the game itself might need them better. I'm not sure if this applies to Massive, though. The cinematics don't seem to eat up quite as much in the way of resources, and your games seem a lot less unfinished than many other studios'.

Sarford
06-20-2009, 04:55 AM
Well, Ubisoft Montreal gets the bennefit of the doubt from me. Seeing what an impressive game Creed 1 was, I'm sure Creed 2 will be een better.

Besides, I sincerely doubt that this trailer was made in-house. If it was, they should change business and start makeing movies :D

Cageman
06-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Besides, I sincerely doubt that this trailer was made in-house. If it was, they should change business and start makeing movies :D

It was made by Digic, so no... it was not an in-house project.

Cageman
06-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Well, of course but it doesn't change the fact that the company is spending resources on promotion material even though the game itself might need them better. I'm not sure if this applies to Massive, though. The cinematics don't seem to eat up quite as much in the way of resources, and your games seem a lot less unfinished than many other studios'.

Most of the time, the unfinished stuff is code-related... AI not behaving as it should, collision issues etc, etc. As you may agree on, the gfx of a game is seldom the letdown...

And, as I said, we don't always do promotional stuff... we work with ingame cinematics (as in realtime, enginedriven stuff) as well. We did that for both WIC and WIC: Soviet Assault, and most likely, we will continue to do so. Just as a clarrification; the ingame cutscenes are there to tell a story, they are not done as movies to show-off the engine.

Captain Obvious
06-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Most of the time, the unfinished stuff is code-related... AI not behaving as it should, collision issues etc, etc. As you may agree on, the gfx of a game is seldom the letdown...
Yes, certainly. But the company still has a limited amount of resources. Spending more money on cinematics and graphics means spending less money on coding.

Actual in-game cinematics and cutscenes can help carry the story of the game, so I can't complain about those. :P

Cageman
06-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Yes, certainly. But the company still has a limited amount of resources. Spending more money on cinematics and graphics means spending less money on coding.

No, not really... we all have permanent positions at Massive, so it's not like we are going anywhere when we have finished with the graphics for a game. So, we would sit down and roll our thumbs and cost money, or we can go ahead and do some promotional stuff for the game. This has no effect at all on the coding side of things. No matter what we do, we cost money... of course... they could fire us after a project, but then it may be hard for them to find good artists the next time around; not to talk about how important it is to have a consistency in a team that is going to work with both ingame and promotional stuff and also be up to date with tools developed inhouse to hit the ground running when the time comes.

Actual in-game cinematics and cutscenes can help carry the story of the game, so I can't complain about those. :P

Hehe... nopes you can't!

:)

Captain Obvious
06-21-2009, 05:40 PM
No, not really... we all have permanent positions at Massive, so it's not like we are going anywhere when we have finished with the graphics for a game. So, we would sit down and roll our thumbs and cost money, or we can go ahead and do some promotional stuff for the game. This has no effect at all on the coding side of things. No matter what we do, we cost money... of course... they could fire us after a project, but then it may be hard for them to find good artists the next time around; not to talk about how important it is to have a consistency in a team that is going to work with both ingame and promotional stuff and also be up to date with tools developed inhouse to hit the ground running when the time comes.
Well, yeah, in the case of Massive, it makes little difference. But if you look at Ubisoft and the trailer... They spent millions hiring a studio to produce it. Money that they could have spent working on the game.

doimus
06-22-2009, 05:14 AM
Regarding the purportedly resource wasting on cinematics: I've seen Jade Raimond (I guess they toned her appearance down for AC2 :hey:) talk about how they did the first AC.

The cinematics are the first thing they do, after the pen-and-paper design phase. Then the goal is to reach that quality in game engine.
I have no doubt all the high-poly characters and environments from this movie will appear as normal maps on low poly assets in-game.

What I like about Assassin's Creed and what drew me to it in the first place - is the educational aspect of it. It's like what Sid Meier said about his games - all good design is based on reality.
The moment i finished playing Assassin's Creed, I was on wikipedia reading up on King Richard, Salah Al Din, Kingdom of Heaven, crusades, discussing it over beer with other, non-gaming people (now, try doing that with Half Life and not appear as a boring nerd).

I grew as a kid in the 80s. OK, i had my share of Transformers, Batman and Ninja Turtles... But what really rocked my boat were European comics based on real historic events: Corto Maltese, Lt. Blueberry, Asterix, God bless Italian Bonelli comics like Zagor, Tex Willer, Mr.No and even Dylan Dog in all its crazyness.

You know, kind of stuff that's not mindless self indulgence like 95% of today's games. Stuff that enriches your cultural or historic knowledge, besides being just entertainment.
So pardon me if my stomach turns a little when I see yet another cinematic of brave square-jawed-earth-warriors shooting at evil brain-eating-zombie-nazi-communist-north-korean-aliens riding in invincible hovercopters-of-doom.

I wouldn't say there is coincidence in Assassin's Creed being developed at Ubisoft, no sir - that is continuation of a tradition, I think. And I hope they make many more games in this tradition, and maybe a few movies as well.

IMI
06-22-2009, 05:34 AM
What I like about Assassin's Creed and what drew me to it in the first place - is the educational aspect of it. It's like what Sid Meier said about his games - all good design is based on reality.
The moment i finished playing Assassin's Creed, I was on wikipedia reading up on King Richard, Salah Al Din, Kingdom of Heaven, crusades, discussing it over beer with other, non-gaming people (now, try doing that with Half Life and not appear as a boring nerd).

I agree with that completely. :agree:
I did the same thing - read all up on it, that is, although I haven't had any opportunities to get into any discussions about it.
If anything though, it lacked enough of that. Meaning, I would have liked to have seen more, more story, more interaction, more things to explore, more things to learn within that historical context.
I really enjoyed playing Assassin's Creed, though I felt it could have been so much more, but in the end all you were really doing is fighting or escaping - one of the two at all times. Sure you get a small sense of accomplishment from defending a citizen, and there are plenty of opportunities for strategy and stealth, but it's the action that was the whole point.
The story was captivating, but left me wanting more of it.

I would like to see more RPG elements in AC 2, some real quests and some real exploration. I would like to have buildings and castles and ruins to explore.

I do though really think it should have at least one portal to the future and an invincible hovercopter-of-doom waiting for him there, so as to help fight off the North Korean Combine zombies.

Just kidding about that last part. :D