PDA

View Full Version : Ik booster question

SAHiN
06-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Does anyone know why I cant select or modify my bones looking from my camera?

is this a bug or I need to select some display setting here ?

When I have multiple characters with IK Booster in my scene, I click on a bone and LW selects something else. I may go to say, top view and select the bone, come back to camera view try to move it, and again my selection changes to something Camera doesn't even see..

..am I the only one with this problem ?

SplineGod
06-16-2009, 10:36 PM
sounds like a bug

silviotoledo
06-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Hey Larry!

What I can't understand is why the IK Boost features are not included in Joints and z bones.

It seems Newtek does all the solutions but it does not comunicate with each other.

Can't you do a video showing the benefist of having IKB in Joints for CORE? :)

SplineGod
06-17-2009, 05:07 PM
IKB works with bones, joints and any items in a heirarchy.
As far as I know Newtek has no plans to include IKBoost
in Core.

Costanel
06-21-2009, 04:54 AM
Try locking characters/models with the scene editor. I often lock all but the bones to effectively animate.
Have you got Bone X-Ray turned on?

You can still select models in the drop down menu.

This saved me a lot of trouble, maybe it helps solve this as well. :)

3dWannabe
07-01-2009, 09:36 PM
I'm certainly spending a lot of time and money learning IKB - which seems (to my limited knowledge) to be one of LW's best features (especially after buying SpineGod's tutorials where it's explored in such depth).

For how many others will this negatively affect (future purchase decisions) if not included (or somehow improved upon) in Core?

I'm just not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about Core without IKB?

SplineGod
07-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Cores a long way off from having any sort of CA system. As far as it eventually having some sort of iKB-like functionality, Im not holding my breath. Right now the closest thing Ive seen to IKBs functionality is in Blender.

SAHiN
07-03-2009, 09:41 AM
I tried all those options.. its definately a bug. Slecting is one of the problems. Trying to modify is another.Select it and try to move or rotate the bone form camera angle or even perpective view and your selection jumps to something else and all of a sudden you have messed up another bone..
Locking them doesnt help either.. IKB is still not upto par for production..
it is my opinion that IKB is not an animation tool, it is a posing tool. I am sure Larry will agree with me on this one, after seeing the problem he had locking the foot down with IKB on his videos. I am done with IKB and happily gone back to traditional IK/FK setup which once was also used by Foundation Imaging during Max Steel and Starship Troopers. Thanks for all the help guys, but IKB has failed.

SplineGod
07-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I have to respectfully disagree. Myseff and othes have been successfully using IKB in p roduction with some serious pressures and deadlines and its held up quite well. Does it have a quirk here or there? Yes but welcome to LW... :)

3dWannabe
07-03-2009, 11:10 AM
Larry - have you been reporting any IKB bugs with FogBugz?

I wonder if that would even be a good idea, as the developer/genius who designed it is gone, and apparently no one at LW probably understands what a gem it is - or - probably understands what the developer's code is doing (as there sure are a lot of hidden features).

I'd hate to get 9.6.1 UB/64 bit and find they'd introduced bugs into IKB!!!

Scazzino
07-03-2009, 11:25 AM
A number of IKB bugs were fixed in 9.6 UB. If you run into any more, be sure to submit them to Fogbugz and I'm sure they'll try to get them fixed if possible for 9.6.1UB.

:beerchug:

SAHiN
07-03-2009, 03:16 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. Myseff and othes have been successfully using IKB in p roduction with some serious pressures and deadlines and its held up quite well. Does it have a quirk here or there? Yes but welcome to LW... :)

Laaaaaaaaaaaaarry :D
How can I use it in production if I can't animate characters from camera's POV ?
Thats a major problem with 9.6

I used IKB on a show about 4 years ago when they first introduced it, and there was less problems with it then..

Hey, did I mention I found Steven Graves..and he said hi to you?
Now I gotta find Robert Ward :)

SplineGod
07-03-2009, 03:19 PM
You did tell me about Steve, no idea about Robert though.
IKB has definately seen some improvements over the last few
years esp on the Mac side. Are you using IKB on Mac or PC?

SAHiN
07-03-2009, 03:20 PM
PC..

Steve thinks Rob migrated back to Chickago..
go figure :D

geo_n
07-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Something like IK Boost would NEED to be in CORE - if we are to alter mocap in LW. Unless of course they find another way to do it.

Core shouldn't just aim for ikboost:). look at ca in softimage CAT or even the archaic CharacterStudio which up to now is very flexible to change rigs and works great with mocap. As old as it is, CStudio has ikboost features and then some. But I think ca would be atleast 2-3 years for Core.