PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #43 - CSI Murder Scene

Crossfire
06-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #43 - You are a CSI and you walk into a crime scene. The first piece of evidence you see is............
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2: Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

Lightwave Speed Modeling Group

Subject - You are a CSI and you walk into a crime scene. The first peice of evidence you see is............

Time Limit - 60 minutes

Deadline - Wednesday 24 June 2200 GMT

oobievision
06-17-2009, 01:48 AM
ooooh very nice subject!

oobievision
06-17-2009, 08:58 AM
ok here it is matchbook 39 min modeling 1.5 shading and placement.

EDIT added one to set the CSI mood

JCG
06-17-2009, 10:22 AM
Interesting. The fingerprint is on the inside of the matchbox but there is not a single match missing. That means that the perpetrator went for the match but did not actually touch any of them. The murderer was a heavy smoker and is trying to quit. The murderer is committed enough on his resolution to stop smoking as to reject the impulse even after such a stressful event as a murder. The number was scribbled after the murder, since the killer moved the 0 over the bloody fingerprint. The killer is clearly not a professional but was also not too nervous since the fingerprint and the writing are quite steady.

Did I miss something?

oobievision
06-17-2009, 11:13 AM
or the killer went to read the number on the matchbook that the vic had and went to read the number and tossed it as to no consequence to him/her

Hopper
06-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Bah .. everyone knows the butler did it.

robert_Lavigne
06-20-2009, 10:16 AM
I grew up in a really small town, and always wondered why there was a CSI Miami, New York, and Las Vegas but they never made CSI Middle of Nowhere. If there had, here's what the crime scene would look like.

Kuzey
06-20-2009, 10:24 AM
That is way too funny :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kuzey

oobievision
06-20-2009, 07:25 PM
guess big bird finally got axed off sesame street

JCG
06-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Interesting. The axe and most of the blood are on the victim's left side, with the grip facing away from the victim. That indicates that the killer was right handed.

The blood stains above the head indicate that the killer was probably taller than the chicken. However, only the edge of the axe is stained so (s)he is probably not very strong.

The victim is between the axe and the house. Also, the pole of the axe is facing away from the house. That indicates that the killer is not from the house. Yet, the duck was not scared away so it was someone familiar, whom the duck trusted.

Did I miss something?

robert_Lavigne
06-20-2009, 09:04 PM
It was actually the duck. Remember 95% of criminals return to the scene. It was apart of a turf war that had been going on for years.

flakester
06-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Ha! Brilliant stuff.
Grand work so far. :thumbsup:

--
flakester

Hopper
06-22-2009, 03:21 PM
Not so much this week huh? I wish I could participate in this one. I have already thought of a few simple items to do, but I don't think I'll have the time. We have a release due out this week, and we're fighting to stay on schedule.

Nangleator
06-23-2009, 08:25 AM
I won't have time, either, and I had a good plan. You know the old cliché of a knife made of ice? I had in mind a partially-melted revolver.

AdamAvenali
06-23-2009, 08:39 AM
i've got an idea and it looks like i should have time to carry it out. expect something later this evening! :thumbsup:

flakester
06-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Couldn't resist this one, just HAD to find the time once I had the idea!! :D

Just under 45 mins for the modelling, and about 35 mins for the rest of it.
Happy to share the model and scene if anyone wants them.

May even be able to scrape together some more minutes later on today for another one if I get lucky.

--
flakester

AdamAvenali
06-23-2009, 07:36 PM
okay so i lied. well, not really lied, but forgot my dongle at the office so i will try and get my entry rendered and entered tomorrow before the deadline!

robert_Lavigne
06-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Come on guys, stay up a couple extra hours and whip something up. We cant let this contest die out.

JCG
06-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Other than the age of the victim, I'm completely lost for clues on this one. :(
Look for someone with an exceedingly sharp knife?

flakester
06-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Other than the age of the victim, I'm completely lost for clues on this one. :(
Look for someone with an exceedingly sharp knife?
.... and perhaps some sort of medical training; this murderer obviously 'nose' what they're doing!

Egads, sorry. I feel like I've just let myself down, along with everybody else. No more puns, I promise.

--
flakester

robert_Lavigne
06-24-2009, 08:26 AM
I had actually typed a similar pun in and then forced myself to delete it.

adamredwoods
06-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Come on guys, stay up a couple extra hours and whip something up. We cant let this contest die out.

Sorry, chaos this week, will I have a job?
My entry would've been a shark with a person eaten in someone's living room.

I still plan on entering, but it may not be until next week.

AdamAvenali
06-24-2009, 11:01 AM
alright, here we are. modeling time approximately 20 minutes. texture/lighting time about 1.5 hours.

R.Feeney
06-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Unfortunately I have had no chance to take part this week, Great subject matter though.

I will post this weeks challenge later tonight.

Maybe we need to find a sponsor to put up some kind of prize to get the enthusiasm back.
It would not have to be anything big, A t shirt, a license for one of the cheaper commercial plugins, a small sheet of paper with "you won!" printed on it.

Anything really.

AdamAvenali
06-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Unfortunately...really.

i was actually thinking it would be cool if maybe the next challenge was to model a trophy or something and we could make it into an avatar sized image and if you win you get to put it in your sig or something. i think i saw something like that over on game-artist.net or something. Feeney would get to put like 30 in his sig haha

COBRASoft
06-24-2009, 03:37 PM
I couldn't be part of the last challenges since I was on holidays in Spain :)

I'll do my best for the next challenge though.

Another reason for the low number of entrees could be the subjects. They are not so easy. Simple ideas like instruments of the doctor or furniture of the living room would be easier to get a model in the head. Not all of us are doing 3D all day, everyday...

R.Feeney
06-24-2009, 04:21 PM
I started the next challenge
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=896632#post896632

I went with Adams idea, cheers Adam :D

Crossfire
06-25-2009, 07:40 AM
I personally didn't even have time to enter this week so thanks to everyone that made time to do so!:thumbsup:

Time For The Judging.

oobievision - I Love the detail in the blood splatters as well as the blood on the inside of the match book making a finger print. It's a nice added touch

robert_Lavigne - This one really made me laugh. Love the dead chicken/bird with the cloth draped over. Good job in the composting as well

flakester - Too Funny dude.:thumbsup: Nice model as well as the fact you modeled the blood running from the nose.

AdamAvenali - Very creative. Love the voodoo doll model as well as the texture of the model. Very well Done.:thumbsup:

That's all folks, not too many to go off this week but the winner is......

AdamAvenali.........Congrats on the win, this one was too cool not to win. Everything as executed very well and produced a real nice render.

Special mention goes to Robert L.........Real nice concept and idea that you executed very well, which also led to so very funny replies.:thumbsup:

R.Feeney already opened the next challenge so I will leave it to you guys to determine if you want to open another challenge as well.

Congrats all!!!:thumbsup: Thanks for the participation, we need to keep these challenges going!!!

Kuzey
06-25-2009, 07:44 AM
Congratulations AdamAvenali :thumbsup:

This was a really tough challenge...I couldn't even come up with an idea, so well done for those that did, great stuff :thumbsup:

Kuzey

R.Feeney
06-25-2009, 08:48 AM
AdamAvenali - Very creative. Love the voodoo doll model as well as the texture of the model. Very well Done.:thumbsup:

AdamAvenali.........Congrats on the win, this one was too cool not to win. Everything as executed very well and produced a real nice render.

R.Feeney already opened the next challenge so I will leave it to you guys to determine if you want to open another challenge as well.

Congrats all!!!:thumbsup: Thanks for the participation, we need to keep these challenges going!!!

Well done Adam:thumbsup:

I won last weeks challenge so I started this weeks one, Adam would be starting next weeks challenge. :)

flakester
06-25-2009, 08:48 AM
Congrats AdamA!! :thumbsup: Well done.

--
flakester

oobievision
06-25-2009, 09:22 AM
congrats adam!

Crossfire if you want I can send you the photoshop brushes I used to make the blood.

robert_Lavigne
06-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey their ooblevision, I wouldn't mind a copy of those brushes, I'll pm you.

Hopper
06-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Nice job Adam :thumbsup:

AdamAvenali
06-25-2009, 11:37 AM
wow! thanks crossfire and everyone for the kind words! i really wasnt expecting this haha i will be ready to post a fun and creative topic on july 1! :thumbsup:

oobievision
06-26-2009, 09:11 AM
sure no prob rober, who ever wants em ill send ya the brushes.