PDA

View Full Version : Fiber FX sucks in 9.6

jpleonard
06-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Why does fiber fx suck so badly? I have an animation I am doing. I'm using the fiber filter image filter to create reeds on a lakes banks...the reflections in the water from the reeds jitter and jump around I've rendered it out 4 times now with different settings.....still no change....Still shots work great, but this is for an animation and is looking to be totally useless.

In the attached image you can see what I'm reffering to. On the right side, the reflection in the water.......it has extra noise, jittering and stuff.
The water has no moving textures on it or anything, but if you look at the two sequential images you'll see that there is strange shading that moves frame to frame. it only happens in the fiber fx reflections..WTF....

jpleonard
06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh, just thought I'd mention, no radiosity, perspective camera, three spot lights and skt sun in the scene, nothing in the area to cast extra moving shadows...?

jpleonard
06-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Anyone have tips for using fiber fx (fiber filter), should I just make geometry instead?

jpleonard
06-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Guess I can just turn reflection off on Fiber FX and in the Render Globals and once again sacrifice quality of the final animation as a work around to using lightwave....

Darth Mole
06-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Does anything move at all - camera, lights?

To be honest, you could probably model those reeds just as easily in Modeller and get better results. I know, another workaround, but I think FiberFX is a bit sucky too. Better to get a useable end result than constantly battle the software.

jpleonard
06-16-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm just going to leave the fiber filter there and not use reflections on the water for the reeds, not what I really wanted to do, but the deadline for this is creeping up quickly and I think that for most shots I can get away without the reflections on the water....It's a cartoon anyhow....I have a short scene that requires the females reflection in the water as she's looking down at it, but I can make sure the camera doesn't see any reeds in that particular shot.....I should have modeled it to start with...Just really letting off steam here...

jpleonard
06-16-2009, 01:49 PM
I just wish...when you want to do something, you choose a tool, set it up, and BAM....it works...like expected..

AdamAvenali
06-16-2009, 02:00 PM
I just wish...when you want to do something, you choose a tool, set it up, and BAM....it works...like expected..

i think that is what we all wish for haha

SplineGod
06-16-2009, 02:55 PM
You wouldnt believe the problems we had with using FFX in production. I feel your pain believe me. Id go with geometry on the reeds too btw. :)

Cageman
06-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Hmm...

FFX does indeed have some severe limitations regarding reflections. As Splingod said, I would go for geometry. If your camera will shoot from this angle all the time, you can go for quite simple objects and use clipmaps and use a texture to define the form of the strays.

If this would have been a situation where fur/hair would be the only way to do it, I would create a mirrored animation (in your case it is static objects as far as I understand) and render this out as a faked reflectionpass.

jpleonard
06-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks Larry and Cageman.....I don't know exactly how most people would approach what I'm doing as far as scenes and managment, but I have a lake, several small land masses, and reeds all over the place...It will be animated. the images are just the first couple of frames from the title sequence. There actually will be lots of camera movement, 5 characters total, and several trees that they will be interacting with, so I may just model the reeds, but seems like it would end up being a lot of polys. Not really that big of a deal I guess. I've had scenes upward of 8 million polys before. I had started to model the reeds in the begining so that I could have them effected with a light wind, but scratched that idea for what I thought would be quicker and simpler...

Thanks for the input guys

SplineGod
06-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Model the reeds that are close to the camera. Do the rest as cageman suggested using simple polys and clip maps.

jpleonard
06-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Will do...Not really a have to have on the reflections since it's a cartoon style animation, but I like having them there...:thumbsup:

Matt
06-16-2009, 05:20 PM
It is annoying, because FFX is soooooo close to being really cool, but it has some major gotchas that make it unusable for production, it's just fun to play with at the moment, but that's about all.

SplineGod
06-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Which is sad considering how long it was being developed before NT aquired it and how long its been in NTs hands. I was able to get a couple of shots done using it but only after alot of pain. We ended up having to go back to Sasquatch.

pooby
06-17-2009, 12:02 AM
I first purchased Fibre Factory 4 a couple of years ago as a way of moving on from and improving on Sasquatch.
I was quite excited at the render quality and, though it was hugely crashy, I thought it had great potential.
I find it bitterly disappointing that still, after allthis time, it is still fundimentally unstable.
I went back to Sasquatch too, and actually, Its made me appreciate Sasquatch a lot more than I did.

OFF
06-17-2009, 12:57 AM
you need try to remove any else volumetrics, like Skytracer for example

hrgiger
06-17-2009, 04:01 AM
It makes me wish I hadn't sold my sasquatch.

StereoMike
06-17-2009, 04:17 AM
It would be so funny if that person came into this thread and said:
"Gladly I bought Sasquatch from HRgiger!"

Matt
06-17-2009, 04:36 AM
i would be so funny if that person came into this thread and said:
"gladly i bought sasquatch from hrgiger!"

lol!

pyo
06-17-2009, 09:40 AM
I've found that FFX has problems with multithreading. I've made test and when there's more than 1 thread set in render settings there are problems if FFX is set to "Volume Only" or when the "Reflections" option is checked. 1 thread and no problems...

adamredwoods
06-17-2009, 11:31 AM
I've found that FFX has problems with multithreading. I've made test and when there's more than 1 thread set in render settings there are problems if FFX is set to "Volume Only" or when the "Reflections" option is checked. 1 thread and no problems...

If you have a scene example, you may want to send that in to Lightwave FogBugz for them to work on it.

erikals
06-17-2009, 02:35 PM
ps, considering selling my sasquatch license.
guess $220 i fair?

hrgiger
06-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Well, within a day or two I'll be able to experiment with Modo fur and I'll see how that works for me. From what I gather though, it's still not a complete hair solution as it's mostly geared (at least presently) towards fur, short hair, grass and not so much long hair. I really wish we had a good option for hair with Lightwave because FiberFX isn't it and as much as I liked Sas, it had it's limitations that were hard to deal with as well.

erikals
06-17-2009, 06:00 PM
i find it somewhat strange, haven't tried FFX, but what is the limit....?

the thing is, if one stick to using FFX hairpolys, then there shouldn't be any render error right?

any thoughts?

erikals
06-23-2009, 10:27 AM
njet?

Cageman
10-06-2009, 12:51 PM
It is annoying, because FFX is soooooo close to being really cool, but it has some major gotchas that make it unusable for production, it's just fun to play with at the moment, but that's about all.

Actually, it really depends on what you are about to do with it....

http://spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26597 and from one of the posts in that thread:

http://spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=256353&postcount=18

So...well... :)