PDA

View Full Version : How to Move Objects or vertex in Lightwave

sonuchelani
06-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Hello friends I m a Maya user and now want to switch Lightwave3d, I have watched some basic video tutorials but still I could not found how to move a single object in Modeler, I use Move tool to move objects in Maya, but I could not found that in Lightwave3d please help me out friends :) , when I press t key I can move all objects in window but cant move any single object and no manipulator appear on object. Please answer me friends.:)

larkis
06-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Lightwave does not treat objects like maya does. Think of each layer of your model as an "object" and whatever is on one layer moves together once you start animating. So for example if you were modeling a car and wanted to animate the wheels, the body of the car could be one layer (and move as a single mesh cluster) but then each wheel would be another layer in your mesh. To move connected points or polygons in a single layer you need to select a point or polygon (by clicking and sliding your mouse over it until it's yellow) and then push the right square bracket key. That will select all the connected polygons and the "t" key will let you move it.

I know it's strange but there are good reasons for the madness, once it clicks you will see how fast you will be able to accomplish modeling tasks that would take a more lengthy approach inside of maya.

Read the manual of the software to get the basics down.

Dodgy
06-16-2009, 12:00 AM
You can move a single element in multiple ways. First, select one or more polys/point on the element you wish to move, then hit ] to select all connected polys/points and use the move tool. Alternatively, you can use the dragnet tool (hotkey ';' ) , with a very high radius, although I don't really recommend that, as it might distort the mesh even a tiny bit. Another way is to use the Snap drag tool set to 'Connected'. This snaps to nearby points, or doesn't snap if there are no nearby points.

sonuchelani
06-16-2009, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the post Larkis, your have solved my problem very nicely, and also thanks to Dodgy to share his knowledge with me thanks you friends.

safetyman
06-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Welcome to the fold. Mmmwahahahah!!

JeffrySG
06-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Yeah, this took me a while to get used to also. But I quickly learned to use the ']' key to 'select connected'. And it's second nature now.

Welcome!

GraphXs
06-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Welcome! One other thing that might be strange for Maya users is that modeler does not have any gizmos for transfoming, you can tweak the object based on mouse postion within the various viewports. You can change how it works with the "mode button (Action center (mouse, orgin, piviot selection) at the bottom of the screen.

I normally work in action center: mouse, its gret using the mouse to be the fall off for editing. A good example of this is using the rotate or strech tool!

Another good way to thing about the polygons in LW are like pixels in photoshop. You can select some polys copy and paste them to different layers or the same layer,(be cautious not to copy and past polys ontop of each other.)

If you are looking for any LW plugins go to www.flay.com, they have alot of great free plugins.

toby
06-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Welcome Sonuchelani.
Think of it this way; in Modeler you are either in Face, Vertex, Edge or UV mode, but not Object mode. Object mode operations are (generally) done in Layout.