PDA

View Full Version : Holographic effect

steveski74
06-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Hi, I'm trying to simulate the appearance of a DOVD security image which is commonly found on bank notes, passports, driver's licences, etc.

The approach I'm currently attempting is as follows:
I have my main scene fully animated and simply need to apply the dovd texture. The DOVD's in reality have a level of 3d to them, being that a hologram is a 3d recording of an actual scene. So I thought that I might get my intended result by saving this main scene at to a new scene, the place the bell where it would be placed as a texture in the main scene, clear off all the other objects, put grey background image in, the render the scene. The actually camera angles would match that of the original scene. So then I load this pre rendered 3d scene onto the intended surface of the main scene.

Doesn't really look right though. Can anyone suggest another approach?

Steve

larkis
06-15-2009, 07:50 AM
I remember newtek showing the CCTV feature in one of the recent lightwave releases, I wonder if that would do what you need to do.

I believe this is it, give it a go:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/LW9/CCTV.mov

steveski74
06-17-2009, 02:34 AM
By JO Penfold!!!
I think that just might work.

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes ;)

Steve

dxyner
06-22-2009, 11:58 PM
I had a similar hologram task some time ago and got pretty close with a series of gray scale image maps layered together in the color channel and used as alpha maps to mask lower layers. It's difficult to describe, but I will try to attach the old lwo here (it's from 7.5 but opened fine for me in 9.3). Let me know if you try it out and how it works for you.