PDA

View Full Version : What does the metaform shaper plugin do?

tapsnap
08-22-2003, 07:28 AM
What does the metaform shaper plugin do and how do you use it. It's located in the object item proporties under the deform tab listed as one of the plugins. I've looked everywhere, but as of yet, have found no documentation on it. Anyone know?

txbob
08-22-2003, 02:30 PM
This plug in is a oldie-but-not so goody... I think it's just included to allow olde scene files to load. Basically it did the same thing as the obect/properties/geometry/subpatch controls do, but it was way more complex. You had to load 2 different objects and LW would swap out a low poly count model with a high count one after applying morphs, displacments, bones etc. The Metaform plug-in was part of metamation, which was needed before LW supported NURBS in Layout. They used to be availible in modeler, but the object had to be frozen before you could bring it into layout. The controls I mentioned above do the same thing.

tapsnap
08-23-2003, 06:40 AM
Oh...... I was hoping it would be something useful like some kind of lattice deform tool. I used to use Amapi and it has some really great modelling tools. One of my favourite tools was the lattice deform tools - great for cartoon squash and stretch. Why doesn't lightwave have this tool? Come to think about it, Amapi had so many great modelling tools that Lightwave could do with and it could export and import into almost any format. Makes me wonder why anyone would need to buy Modo.

rabid pitbull
08-23-2003, 03:33 PM
amapi... eeeek. Had version 4 of that program, and it is the most crash prone application I have ever used, and i ran it on both mac/pc. Both were buggy!!

Kuzey
08-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by rabid pitbull
amapi... eeeek. Had version 4 of that program, and it is the most crash prone application I have ever used, and i ran it on both mac/pc. Both were buggy!!

Actually, I think ray dream studio was the most buggy app on the market:p

Amapi does have some great tools. The one I loved the most is the add thickness tool. Imagine if you drew an open curve. You click on the thickness tool and the curve becomes a pipe...very simple.
Lightwave on the other hand, you have to set up a curve and a circle to be able to use the Rail or Path Extrude tools. It's not easy and it dosn't always produce a perfect result.

Now if Lightwave had something like that............

:p

Kuzey

tapsnap
08-25-2003, 09:18 AM
Version 4? That must be about 7 or 8 years ago. Version 6 crashes were fairly infrequent. Version 7 just came out. Anyway it has some great modelling tools that Lightwave could really do with. Don't get me wrong, I can model everything in lightwave that I need to, it's just some things were more efficient in Amapi. Any Lightwave 3rd party plugin writers out there looking for ideas for their next project, take a good look at amapi's modelling tools.