PDA

View Full Version : Moving threads?

IMI
06-14-2009, 04:24 AM
Seems as though at least the recent ZBrush and 3DCoat threads have been moved to the "LW-Third Party" forums.

Now, I can see moving the FPrime and Ozone and LWCad threads there, as they ARE third party plugins to be used with LW, but ZBrush and 3DCoat are standalone apps. And the name "LW-Third Party" strongly implies that the content therein is specific to LW usage. There is no standalone version of FPrime, for example, and ZBrush can be used to make models and textures for use with any 3D program.

Will, say, Photoshop-related discussions be moved there, too, or if someone asks about comping in After Effects?

The *standalone* apps we all use are more often than not a part of an overall pipeline and are not necessarily "3rd party". Although they're not NewTek products, they're not plugins, and they are just as relevant to LW usage as anything contained natively within LW.

So therefore I think they are perfectly at home in the "LW Community" forum if that's where they start. Or in the General Support or General Discussion forums too, for that matter.
They are, after all, things a *community* of LW users often discuss. To label them and classify them as "third party" is, IMO, a misnomer.

pooby
06-14-2009, 05:31 AM
I guess it could be that technically, 'Third party' and 'plugins' have differing meanings, Just because something in 3rd Party, it doensn't necessarily have to be a LW plugin. but I get your point.

from Wikipedia

A third-party developer is a developer not directly tied to the primary product that a consumer is using

I dunno.

cresshead
06-14-2009, 06:07 AM
i think they were origionally posted in the wrong forum, if i post a non lightwave subject say about zbrush, toon boom i ususally post [if i remember to!] it in the general forum and usually preface it with off topic or O.T that way people can disregard it if they only want to read lightwave related posts withoout having to read the actual post.

having non titled off topic posts in the lightwave community forum, especially ones that get 'heated' like the eula of 3d coat can color the lightwave community area 'feel' and so ruin the 'welcoming community' aspect of the forum.

remember these forums are hosted BY NEWTEK for their product support and are not an open soapbox area to complain, moan and promote/knock down other companies 3d apps.

moderator options are to lock, move or delete such threads .

moving such threads out to the the 3rd party area i think is a gentle hint that such threads in future on the lightwave community forums will not be tollerated when the content has almost nothing what so ever to do with newtek's lightwave 3d.

if you are a visitor to the lightwave community forum you'd expct to see conversation on lightwave yes?
there's a hint in the title of the forum....

Nicolas Jordan
06-14-2009, 06:09 AM
Seems as though at least the recent ZBrush and 3DCoat threads have been moved to the "LW-Third Party" forums.

Now, I can see moving the FPrime and Ozone and LWCad threads there, as they ARE third party plugins to be used with LW, but ZBrush and 3DCoat are standalone apps. And the name "LW-Third Party" strongly implies that the content therein is specific to LW usage. There is no standalone version of FPrime, for example, and ZBrush can be used to make models and textures for use with any 3D program.

Will, say, Photoshop-related discussions be moved there, too, or if someone asks about comping in After Effects?

The *standalone* apps we all use are more often than not a part of an overall pipeline and are not necessarily "3rd party". Although they're not NewTek products, they're not plugins, and they are just as relevant to LW usage as anything contained natively within LW.

So therefore I think they are perfectly at home in the "LW Community" forum if that's where they start. Or in the General Support or General Discussion forums too, for that matter.
They are, after all, things a *community* of LW users often discuss. To label them and classify them as "third party" is, IMO, a misnomer.

:agree: I don't consider any standalone program to be third party.

cresshead
06-14-2009, 06:24 AM
read>>

NewTek Discussion Forums Moderation Policy
The NewTek Discussion Forums are a private venue provided as a service to NewTek customers at NewTek's discretion. As such, the NewTek Discussion Forums are not a free speech zone, they are for professional and civil discourse regarding NewTek products by NewTek users.

The following items are not considered professional or civil discourse allowed on these forums:

* Off-topic and controversial subjects such as Religion and Politics
* Comments of an "off color" nature inappropriate for viewing by minors
* Non-constructive criticism of a malicious nature
* Personal attacks against NewTek customers or employees and their family members
* Promotional messages and material for competing products

IMI
06-14-2009, 06:53 AM
Steve, I understand their rules and policies, but that's not what I'm talking about.
There really is only so much you can say about LightWave, and I don't think even the admins want to limit this place strictly to that.
We have the LW 9.6 discussion forum, which has continually changed its name with each new version, plus the General Support, LW-PC, LW-Mac, tips and tricks and all that. They are LW-specific, with the LW 9.6 forum being the most specific of all.
The LW Community and General Discussion forums I think were meant to be more broad, more general.

Now, I don't remember where the ZB and 3DC threads began, but I think they were in either LW Community or General Discussion.

If they get out of hand, I think locking them would be more indicative of disapproval than moving them; I think they would lock a thread they didn't like before just moving it elsewhere.

IMI
06-14-2009, 06:58 AM
I guess it could be that technically, 'Third party' and 'plugins' have differing meanings, Just because something in 3rd Party, it doensn't necessarily have to be a LW plugin. but I get your point.

from Wikipedia

I dunno.

Well in terms of strict definition, I'm not real sure either, but we as regular people (and not lawyers) don't usually operate under strict definitions.
In other words, I think most people view "3rd party" as synonymous with "plugin", when used in the context of a 3D app such as LW.

cresshead
06-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Steve, I understand their rules and policies, but that's not what I'm talking about.
There really is only so much you can say about LightWave, and I don't think even the admins want to limit this place strictly to that.
We have the LW 9.6 discussion forum, which has continually changed its name with each new version, plus the General Support, LW-PC, LW-Mac, tips and tricks and all that. They are LW-specific, with the LW 9.6 forum being the most specific of all.
The LW Community and General Discussion forums I think were meant to be more broad, more general.

Now, I don't remember where the ZB and 3DC threads began, but I think they were in either LW Community or General Discussion.

If they get out of hand, I think locking them would be more indicative of disapproval than moving them; I think they would lock a thread they didn't like before just moving it elsewhere.

i think you missed the whole basic deal here...re read my post above...my first post not the cut n paste of the rules.

if in threads posted in the 'lightwave community' your not INCLUDING lightwave in that conversation to a decent percentage [if AT ALL] then exactly why post it there?

for example having a thread on using lightwave rendered files with photoshop to comp in a AO pass is probably okay as it's helping with lightwave's final output.

BUT

have a thread promoting a non Newtek product has no place in the lightwave community forums...you 'may' have it tollerated if you take the time and consideration to type OFF TOPIC in the title so that viewers who do not want to read adverts on other products can ignore them without having to open them up and read them.

if ANYWHERE the general forum is where to post, even so when you do post i think it's a good move to add off topic in the title bar or O.T if your stuck for space on the title.

Chuck
06-14-2009, 07:29 AM
The threads were moved because to the moderators they seemed more appropriate to that topic area than to our intentions for LWCommunity.

As quoted above, these forums are for discussion of NewTek's products, and the only appropriate context for discussion of products not made by NewTek is use in conjunction with NewTek's products. Those types of discussions would belong in the Third Party section. Yes, we do use a broader definition than just "plugins."

As is also noted in the Moderation Notices:

Moderation decisions are not subject to public discussion. If you have comments, send an email or private message to the moderators.

To report posts that you feel are inappropriate, use the triangle-shaped "Report Post" icon on the offending message to report it to the moderation team. If you have received a private message that you feel is inappropriate, please use the "Report Post" icon on this post to report the problem to the moderation team.