PDA

View Full Version : Direct Import Into Live Set

Dub2Dat
06-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I have been making more and more use of the chroma key and live set features of Tricaster Studio. I have even started to create some custom backgrounds that have turned out pretty good. What has been slowing me down is having to use the Live Set Constructor to import my background images. You can only import one image at a time. I want to import groups of images all at the same time.

I want a way to import multiple images from within the LiveSet setup on the Live screen without having to exit out to the windows desktop. I want a way to set-up folders that I can add and delete images to.

Thanks. Keep of the good work.

SBowie
06-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Would it work for you to have the bg image be taken from the FX row, and then you could put a bunch of () properly sized) images into the DDR and assign it on FX. Then you could change backgrounds on the fly (keep in mind, you can also do this without a LiveSet).

Dub2Dat
06-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Would it work for you to have the bg image be taken from the FX row, and then you could put a bunch of () properly sized) images into the DDR and assign it on FX. Then you could change backgrounds on the fly (keep in mind, you can also do this without a LiveSet).

Yes I have used this method on occasion. But most of the time my DDR's are loaded up with opens, closes, segways, clip incerts, ads, psa's and stuff like that I have to be able to get to on real short notice. I have even use a DVD player for images punched up on the FX buss, but if you don't need motion video then this method can only take you so far.

What I absolutely LOVE about LiveSet is that you can assign a different backgrounds to each camera. I typically run 3 or 4 cameras on a show. To date I create a wide shot background for the wide shot camera. I then create slight variations of the wide shot background for the backgrounds of the close up cameras. To really pull off the illusion of continuity between cuts you have to consider the angle of the close up cameras and make adjustments to those background scenes accordingly.

Thus my need to import lots of images efficiently and some way to keep them all organized for quick recall. I do a lot of shows and the Tricaster is without a doubt the BEST tool I have ever used to do this kind of work. I'm not complaining about what I have, just pie-in-the-dreaming about possibilities...:)

SBowie
06-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Given your remarks, until such time as something better comes along I think you might want to consider trying to find a deal on a more advanced LS creation tool - LW or even a copy of Aura standalone if you could find one.

joseburgos
06-12-2009, 05:14 PM
You can do this with the LiveSet Constructor with a little understanding of the folder and file naming that LiveSet uses.
Launch LS Constuctor and give the set a name but this time make it more fitting to the camera. Like center for a set you will be using for the center camera. now add a period and a zero after it. It should read like this using center as an example;
center.0
Now load the foreground and background image that match the first set you want to make. Following NewTeks lead, make the first or the .0 set be the close up.
*FYI: LS Contructor does not give you the ability to enable keyhole so any sets created in LS Constructor will have some scaling*
Now choose a target path not in the VSFX folder. Maybe the desktop for easy access and name the folder the name you want to use for the set. This is most likely what you used to type where it asked LiveSet name but I want you to name the folder it will create the set into the set name.
Press generate.
Once it is finished, I want you to change the LiveSet name to end with .1 and not .0.
Change the foreground and background images to be the next camera shot.
Press generate (do not change the folder name).
Now repeat the process two more time changing the end of the LiveSet name to end with .2 and then .3.
This is the max for one set as is seen when you load NewTek provided LiveSets.
So next step is to now change the LiveSet name to left.0 and repeat the process.
Again you can make four left shots with the first being .0 and the last being .3.
Never change the target path, very important.

So lets say you have finished all the shots you want for your LiveSet. Exit LS Constructor and open your new LiveSet from wherever you saved it (again I like to use the desktop). You will see all the files LS Contructor has created but I want you to pick one of the png thumb nail images LS Constructor made to represent each shot. What you want is to choose one of them to represent your LiveSet when looking in the LiveSet list for the input setup on TriCaster. Typically it is the center image. So right click on the center.0.png image and select copy. Go outside of the folder where the LiveSet is located and paste this image. Close the LiveSet folder.
Right click on the image and choose 'rename'. Rename the image the name you picked for the LiveSet folder since it was what you choose to be the LiveSet name and then add .png to it. So for example, if you named the folder StudioA, name the image StudioA.png. Very important that the image is named exactly like the folder and to make sure, I usually copy and paste the name of the folder to the image so as not to make a mistake.

So last step, highlight your liveset folder and image you just finished making and copy it to your VSFX folder. Now launch TriCaster. Go to your input setup and locate your LiveSet. Sometimes the sets icon (the image you renamed to match the set name) does not appear right away and don't ask me why. A simple existing and re-launching TriCaster will have it there if it does not show the first time.
Regardless, select your new LiveSet. Now you can choose from the many shot names you made. Once you choose a shot, all the shots up to four will populate the shot selection.

There is no limit to how many shot names you can have to a LiveSet only a limit of four shots per shot name.
This should give you exactly what you where looking for and if not, should at least give you the organization of the shots you where requesting.

Take care,

Dub2Dat
06-17-2009, 01:34 PM
Steve and Jose thank you for your reply.

Steve...I am only doing simple background sets for now. I use photo shop for this. My issue is not with what is used to make backgrounds. My thing is after the backgrounds are made how fast can I load them in, keep them organized and how fast can I call them up when needed.

Having to exit out of Tricaster to Windows to use LiveSet Constructor just to load in one image at a time seems to be an unnecessary step. Let me load in my images within Tricaster in folders I designate.

Jose...I am not sure I follow what you are getting at. The way I keep my backgrounds organized now is to use a common root name like...WoodSetWideShot...WoodSetLeftCamera...WoodS etRightCamera. The common root name keeps all the images together on the file list.

SBowie
06-17-2009, 02:21 PM
My issue is not with what is used to make backgrounds. My thing is after the backgrounds are made how fast can I load them in, keep them organized and how fast can I call them up when needed.My point really is that if you have a more advanced tool (Aura being ideal for this, imho), you can regenerate a LiveSet in *seconds. .. literally - and have it immediately available for use. This being said, it's not for the faint of heart. :)

* See http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80974

joseburgos
06-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Jose...I am not sure I follow what you are getting at. The way I keep my backgrounds organized now is to use a common root name like...WoodSetWideShot...WoodSetLeftCamera...WoodS etRightCamera. The common root name keeps all the images together on the file list.

This is the folder where they lay or the names of the LiveSets?
Also do your LiveSets have four shots per set?

In my example, you would have both. A long list of sets each with four shots in them.

It's all in following the naming fields in LS Constructor as I described.
So you can have a LiveSet named WoodSet and in it have left, right and center all with four shots for a total of 12 shots residing in WoodSet following the steps I laid out.