PDA

View Full Version : LW Vs ?

pooby
06-12-2009, 06:27 AM
For anyone thinking of starting a LW Vs other app thread, here's some little guidelines.
Firstly, you've chosen a very popular topic, so well done and look forward to a lovely long thread. The community never tires of chipping in on these topics and giving their varying opinion.

However, if you dont have time to wait for the replies you could save yourself the bother by simply reading this 'virtual version'.

Firstly you might ask, in all fresh faced naivity something like 'Which is the best app?'
But oh horror of horrors, instead of a nice simple reply like 'Lightwave is the best!' you get some smarty pants saying something like..
'I dont see the point in these stupid threads. Do a search, there are hundreds of 'LW vs (insert other app here) threads'
Now, it would be easy to be disheartened at this point and maybe feel a little like you've made a faux-pas, but not to worry. I'm sure there will be more to come.
Someone might pitch in and ask you what you want to achieve. (Hopefully in not too rude a manner, although they might mention that you could have been a little more specific than simply asking 'Which app is the best?')

So you might want to point out that you want to get a job in 3d. An innocent enough response you think.
But Oh dear, you have just unwittingly opened a can of the wriggliest worms of all.
For someone will say something along the lines of, 'Well Maya is the industry standard. If I were looking for work I'd learn Maya or maybe Max, if I were doing games work'
now, despite the fact that you were leaning toward LW, you might feel like you're getting somewhere, with some nice refreshingly unbiased responses in a Newtek forum.
Unfortunately though, someone else could say ' I use Maya at work and, although its powerful, I'd never use it out of choice, and Max is Waaaay to expensive for what it is.'
Oh, that's thrown a spanner in the works. plus, by this point, you can expect another few replies again pointing out how stupid these threads are. Some of them might even have kindly given you links of other similar threads to browse through.

Someone says 'Id never buy an autodesk product' but fails to explain why, so you ask. No, no ... don't ask. just leave it, as a new tangent will splinter off about licencing issues and big monopolies, of which you know nothing.

Suddenly, someone will tell you that LW is JUST as powerful as Maya if you know how to use it. You get excited again,
But then they post a jpeg showing a convoluted nodal tree that you don't understand.
You are just starting to think you might go back to just doing watercolours, as another tangent splinters off about LW being outdated and hardly ever used for VFX with accompanying counter arguments about Battlestar galactica and other TV classics. Someone might tell you they've been using LW for 12 years and have never encountered a problem they've not been able to workaround.
All of a sudden, someone gives you a link to Modo, then someone else says it can't do animation. Then someone says that LW can't do Character animation either. Some insults follow and someone gets banned for a week UH oh, no-one actually asked you if you wanted to animate, and you're not even sure yourself now whether you need to or not.
Someone tries to calm the situation by coming up with the compromise of a multi-app pipeline. Oh dear..that sounds rather expensive. Another fellow suggests you try all the demos of all the apps and make your own mind up. In all the maelstrom, the words 'Blender' and 'free' pop up and grab your attention, so you surf off to investigate.

Upon your return about 5 pages later, you can expect all kinds of sub-discussions going on about not only LW's aspects and how they compare, but people will be arguing about the merits of XSI's rendering compared to to Modo and someone will probably be getting in a huff about someone elses remark about Max's outdated workflow. A person with a better avatar than yours asked for the thread to be locked about 3 pages back.
Someone will have pointed out Lws 999 free render nodes just to be put down by someone poo poo-ing LW's lack of Pass management. A few people will have been accused of Trolling. You go off and google 'Trolling'.

And all you wanted was to make a nice render of a cyborg girl wearing some battle armour that you designed yourself and shooting a preposterously big gun that was attached to her arm by some wires.

Kuzey
06-12-2009, 06:56 AM
Reported.

haha brilliant stuff...this should be a sticky :hey:

:D

Kuzey

OnlineRender
06-12-2009, 07:01 AM
well said , LW needs you !

IMI
06-12-2009, 07:09 AM
Ditto on the Sticky idea, but also, this should be required reading before being allowed to join up here. :D

StereoMike
06-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Sticky? Yeah that!
Was great and so true :)

mike

jasonwestmas
06-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Haha! That's sums it up nicely Pooby.

Lightwave is a great place to render cybernetic females. . .as a matter of fact it's perfect. :D

cresshead
06-12-2009, 09:51 AM
not much actual 'help' though was it if you ARE someone asking that question...

also at some point in the conversation CORE would come up also...

my way>>

balance these things out for your own needs then try the demo's...

1. o/s platforms you need it on [could narrow down the list right there]
2. purchase price point you have a budget for this.
3. upkeep price per year/upgrade pricing?
4. training vids, books and free trining available for the app?
5. user forums- how helpful are they for each app?
6. plugins/scripts/add ons to extend the capability of the app
7. looking to work at a studio > what's the dominant apps in thier chosen field [games, tv, film, arch tech, science, product design]
8. general learning curve of the app to be basically competant with it.
9. free render nodes> yes/no and how many and what price if not free.
10. what's app x rubbish at.
11. what's app x excellent at.
12. can i sell/buy app x second hand?
13. make my mind up for me, i'm too stupid to ask q 1-12.

aaaaand...>>

14. do you want to do commercial work with this app?

Tranimatronic
06-12-2009, 10:08 AM
WHAT ??? Lightwave has a cybernetic females plugin ??
where do I get it ?
is it sold in the same place as the "talent" plugin ??

I agree with the sticky idea. Well thought out and well put.

Getting pissed in Canada isnt as much fun as doing it properly in the UK either.

For anyone not English a huff is walking off in a bad mood when something doesnt go your way.

:thumbsup:

lwaddict
06-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Any way you slice it...
that was brilliant writing.

I'm still laughing as I know everyone I've emailed copies to will.

Too freakin' funny. :jester:

beverins
06-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Heck, this should be a sticky on ALL the forums that deal with 3D applications

adamredwoods
06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
....so you're saying Lightwave is the best?

manholoz
06-12-2009, 01:12 PM
I'ld say that for me the best app is the one that I use.
Why? Because that is the app I can use. No good whining over what I cannot have/learn/afford.

Anyway, I agree, this should be a sticky :D

Darth Mole
06-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Quiet day in the studio, eh Poobs?

pooby
06-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Yeah.. I had the IT support guys in.

Cageman
06-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Haha..

Pooby, the first post is brilliant! :)

I know I'm one of those who have argued in the latest LW vs Maya thread, so I recognise alot of what is said in the first post. :D

hrgiger
06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
You mean you need to give a reason when you don't like Autodesk products? Man have I been doing it wrong.

probiner
06-12-2009, 11:22 PM
LOL pooby, lets test people's nerves to see if took any effect:

:bowdown::rock::jam:AUTODESK ROCKS :jam::rock::bowdown:

:cursin::hammer:LIGHTWAVE SUCKS:cursin::hammer:

EDIT: jeez that was not a pavlovian reaction jay3d =)

jay3d
06-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Autodesk is not a product :D

Soth
06-13-2009, 03:45 AM
Someone might pitch in and ask you what you want to achieve. (Hopefully in not too rude a manner, although they might mention that you could have been a little more specific than simply asking 'Which app is the best?')

Sorry to add to the topic but I do have perfectly good reason, Maya 'Simple' costs $350 more in Europe then US (before VAT).

So I am watching close at CORE development. ;)

:yingyang:

Intuition
06-15-2009, 05:34 AM
Hah ha!

Pooby...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

pooby
06-15-2009, 07:12 AM
Have you been talking to my girlfriend?

jasonwestmas
06-15-2009, 07:48 AM
hah ha!

Pooby...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

hahaha~!

probiner
06-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Someone is wrong on the internet

AHAHAHAHa lets make a "Running for wrong people on the internet" event.

Might change the world...

erikals
08-03-2009, 05:18 PM
heh, lot's of funny comments http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/smile.gif
sticky? hell yeah!

goakes
08-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Sorry Intuition.

I don't get the joke. Isn't everyone on the net wrong?

kurv
08-04-2009, 10:44 AM
LOL Pooby that started my day off right :)

Well said sir...

stevecullum
08-05-2009, 07:58 AM
A great piece of guidance for anyone thinking of chipping in on those pointless Vs threads. :thumbsup:

Tranimatronic
08-05-2009, 10:53 AM
What about Lightwave VS monster shark ?

Ill write the script (after a couple of beers and a curry) - any volenteers to do the effects ??

Obviously this isnt a paid gig right now, but when it gets taken over by a major studio you wont get paid then either.