PDA

View Full Version : Create DVDs even with HD video

ixlor8
06-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Quote "Burn up to 60 minutes of HD video on standard DVDs using your existing DVD burner and watch them on your HDTV using a Playstation or BluRay player."

How can this be done? I am very interested in finding out. I have not purchased a Blu-Ray burner yet. The media seams a little to high priced. My videos are 15-20 min.

Any programs that do this? Work flow suggestions?

Pete Draves
06-11-2009, 12:24 PM
You must use a very low bitrate.
this must be because of the spacing of the pits on a DVD, Blu ray is much closer.
However the very low bitrate has a picture quality that is really feldercarb.

Pete

ixlor8
06-11-2009, 02:27 PM
Ok, I am from Madison WI. "Feldercarb" must be a Milwaukee saying?

I did find the Urban meaning:

An expletive used by the characters of Battlestar Galactica that refers to the putrid and crusty black grime that would accumulate on various pieces of machinery and required scraping off during maintenance.

So if I can read between the lines.

1) Take your HDV 1440 x 1080i and sample it down to a standard DVD.

or

2) Open up your wallet Rick and spend the $250 for the Blu-Ray burner you really want. Do not look at the price of the BD media, as you know the price will come down.

But . . . But . . . But...

Most of my video work is for the Madison Porsche club. I tape the events over the summer months and play them back for the xmas party. My video segments do not go over 1/2 hour.

I show them on a screen with a Home Theater HD projector.

Maybe I should save the video to a format that can playback from my computer in HD.

Rick

Pete Draves
06-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Just make a HD (1080 or 720) mpeg encode at a bitrate of 9 - 12 meabits per second.
That is not much more than a regular DVD bit rate. You then burn the DVD with a Blu Ray authoring program to the DVD.
You need a blu ray player to watch the results. Also, and interesting point, if your bluray can read the encoding type it will tell you it is AVCHD. Picture quality is better than a standard DVD but not up to blu ray standards.
While making Bluray discs it is typical for my discs to have make bitrates up to 50 megabits per sec. The picture quality is like photographs when in pause.

Feldercarb is from battlestar galactica... the German euphemisms I know in German are about a paragraph each in length and the forum would burst into flames. We cannot have that!

Buy the burner and get Encore. Then you can burn blu ray and reg DVD from the same project.
Wow.
Yes I give lessons here in Milwaukee or Madison.
Pete

ixlor8
06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
I have been using Adobe Encore CS3 for DVD authoring. I have been very happy with it. So the Blu-Ray burner looks like a purchase in the very near future.

Thanks for all your help.

Rick

donx
06-11-2009, 04:57 PM
For showing at the annual xmas party, wouldn't the quality be better than BluRay if you just made an edited master transferred to HDV camera tape or whatever camera you use? Then hook your camera up to the high definition video projector.:hey:

joseburgos
06-13-2009, 09:45 AM
The less expensive of them all is a Playstation3 and USB thumb drive. You encode your HD video and then copy it to a USB thumb drive. Now you take your PS3 to a remote location (not as expensive and multi use) and plug the thumb drive and play.

If you are doing this in your home, you can setup Windows Media on your desktop allow access of your videos and pictures to your PS3 as well. This would eliminate the need to walk a thumb drive over to it.
These are all the devices compatible with a PS3 via USB;
Video iPod, Sony Memory Stick, CF Card, SD Card, Mini SD Card, Hard Disk and USB Flash Drive.
M2T files captured from my camera play perfectly on my PS3. You only need to make sure you create a folder named video on the device connected via USB and then place all your video files in this video folder. When rendering out of SpeedEdit, use MPEG2 and use 720P or 1080i as needed.
Adobe Media Encoder encodes much faster using SpeedEdit save as an .avi but I have not found the proper render settings to work best for playback on PS3 when using Adobe Media Encoder. TMPGEnc 4.0 encoder does a great job and is a little faster than SE enabling the CUDA settings.
Wish I could get Adobe Media Encoder to work right for PS3 as it is wicked fast.

Unless you need to actually provide BD media, it is not necessary to view HD video in our modern digital world using a PS3 at or around $400 and less.

ScorpioProd
06-14-2009, 01:31 AM
But if only there was a way to actually author it for playback beyond just playing it as a file...

joseburgos
06-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Yeah it a shame but if DivX may be the one that makes it happen. Right now there menu in a video file system does not work as a menu (it just plays what ever video are in the file one after the other with the ability to skip through them) on a PS3.
I will say that a DivX HD file looks damn good on the PS3 (On my PC and MAc as well) and a small file size. TMPGEnc Author can do a DivX Authored file but again will not play from a USB attached device. I wonder how much HD video can be put on a DVD using the DivX file format?

Take care,