PDA

View Full Version : 4D Artists?

CC Rider
06-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Maybe we should be updating our resume and business cards to say we are "4D" artists? As animators we have to incorporate the 4th dimension of time as another variable.
Could be a way to separate yourselves from competition...

"Wow, this guy is a 4D artist...he must be REALLY talented! That's a whole extra "D" better than these other guys!"

:D

akademus
06-11-2009, 09:34 AM
OK. I'm 2D artist (PS) + 2.5D artist (Zbrush) + 3D (LW+XSI+Maya) + time equals 6.5D, which makes me pan galactic overlord among other "artists".

Bow before me now! :D

Cheers

evenflcw
06-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Sounds geeky to me!

Animation is a much nicer looking and sounding word than 4D, 4th dimension or similar. It's connotation is also artistic rather than technical/scientific.

And is time the 4th dimension? By convention, the first 3 are spatial dimensions. Time, although related to space, is not of the same kind. However, looking at a 4th dimensional object (with 4 SPATIAL dimensions) might look like it is moving or deforming for someone accustomed to only 3 dimensions.

cresshead
06-11-2009, 10:01 AM
my head hurts!....please stop!!!

CC Rider
06-11-2009, 10:08 AM
I meant this more as a comical "Marketing/Exploitation" idea and not so much a theoretical discussion.
Kindof interesting though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-time#Concept_with_dimensions

DiedonD
06-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah and theres also a Cinema 4D!

Like all other apps are only 3D. But this one! Hey, this is a 4D app people! Better rize above this usual 3D thing, and get into a true learning curve of the 4th dimension!

Thats a challenge! Not some simple 3D thing!

DiedonD
06-12-2009, 12:28 AM
Or since the 4th is time, then Cinema 4D, appart from calculating the three axes of dimension, it also calculates the amount of time one spends there.

Pretty neat thing too. I think the tough mathematical process is called:

C - Calculative
L - Luxorious
O - Organisational
C - Correlative
K - Kevinstry

JBT27
06-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Or since the 4th is time, then Cinema 4D, appart from calculating the three axes of dimension, it also calculates the amount of time one spends there.

Pretty neat thing too. I think the tough mathematical process is called:

C - Calculative
L - Luxorious
O - Organisational
C - Correlative
K - Kevinstry

'Kevinstry'?? What the devil does that mean? :)

Julian.

DiedonD
06-12-2009, 01:21 AM
'Kevinstry'?? What the devil does that mean? :)

Julian.

Oh dont you know. Kevin was the most favoired priest of Chronos, the God of time!

Not really. I dont always have to put smiling icons in order to show you that Im kidding right?

Its just what came to my mind that starts with a 'K'. Not many things in 'K' in you language is there? All words with 'K' get to be replaced by 'C'!

danielkaiser
06-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Maybe we should be updating our resume and business cards to say we are "4D" artists? As animators we have to incorporate the 4th dimension of time as another variable.
Could be a way to separate yourselves from competition...

"Wow, this guy is a 4D artist...he must be REALLY talented! That's a whole extra "D" better than these other guys!"

How do you account for the other 7 dimensions.
http://www.superstringtheory.com/

JBT27
06-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Oh dont you know. Kevin was the most favoired priest of Chronos, the God of time!

Not really. I dont always have to put smiling icons in order to show you that Im kidding right?

Its just what came to my mind that starts with a 'K'. Not many things in 'K' in you language is there? All words with 'K' get to be replaced by 'C'!

No, indeed - icons not always needed ..... I use them because I like them ..... reaches for icon then withdraws :D DOH!

I hadn't thought about 'K' words versus 'C' words, but I guess that may be true, thinking about it ..... not big on linguistics, sadly.

Julian.

JBT27
06-12-2009, 01:59 AM
How do you account for the other 7 dimensions.
http://www.superstringtheory.com/

As the effects of those other dimensions are only perceived by us using the four, then it may not matter for this .....

In fact, what are those other seven actually for?

Julian.

Martin Adams
06-12-2009, 03:01 AM
Would that mean that 2D animators could call themselves 3D artists?

And if I make an alternate ending to my 3D animated film, can I become a 5D artist?

CC Rider
06-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Would that mean that 2D animators could call themselves 3D artists?

And if I make an alternate ending to my 3D animated film, can I become a 5D artist?

Well if I am in charge of making up the rules (and I honestly think I should be), then I would have to say "no" you can't call yourself a 3D artist if you produce work in 2D space and "no" you can't become a 5D artist by creating alternate endings to 3D work (which of course is actually 4D work).

People. We can't just start adding "D"s to our titles at random here...that's just crazy talk!!

DiedonD
06-13-2009, 12:41 AM
People. We can't just start adding "D"s to our titles at random here...that's just crazy talk!!

But my name is Diedon Dorambari, and sometimes people call me Doni for short! There are three D's there already! Plus the 3D's that Im doing 3D, and of course not to mention that takes time to do them, and thats another D right there, though my appeal for time isnt getting through in fast enough of time. Hmm.... kinda circular that one...

But anyway, by that above I am entitled by nature to have 7Ds on my title!

Im entitled to be titled like that by nature!

Tom Wood
06-13-2009, 08:40 AM

Only 4? Meh... (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/)

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

Matt
06-13-2009, 08:53 AM
OK. I'm 2D artist (PS) + 2.5D artist (Zbrush) + 3D (LW+XSI+Maya) + time equals 6.5D, which makes me pan galactic overlord among other "artists".

Bow before me now! :D

Cheers

LOL! I bow before your almighty l33t skillz! :D