PDA

View Full Version : Discoball question "are caustic volumetrics possible in LW?"

DonJMyers
06-11-2009, 04:04 AM
So sure I can make a nice discoball that reflects and looks decent. But is there a way I can also get it to bounce sparkles all over the room AND create volumetric "rays of buddah" like in a sunset that fill the room with volumetric spikes?

Before radiosity and caustics came along I wouldn't even consider asking. That is basically what they are, caustic reflections which create volumetric effects radiating outward.

Panikos
06-11-2009, 04:08 AM
Use a point light inside a shape with holes casting shadows. This will give you caustics and volumetric beams. To fake colours, shape needs to be transparent and colourful and use ColorFilter.

SplineGod
06-11-2009, 05:44 AM
You can also cheat it by using the crust procedural in the luminosity channel of the walls with the discoball as a reference object.

biliousfrog
06-11-2009, 06:33 AM
...you could also split the channels in post to get the colour seperation

DonJMyers
06-11-2009, 10:43 AM
They don't create volumetric effects that bounce at the real angles the actual effect does.

I guess my real question is "Is there a plugin or a something that will let me make these effects in a realistic simulation? No cheating or putting lights inside balls with holes cut out? That cheat doesn't really create beams bouncing off mirrors at angles. It just makes starburst like FX.

So I was right it can't be simulated currently on LW?

SplineGod
06-11-2009, 02:13 PM
If you want the star bursts/glitter effect try bloom or corona.

mav3rick
06-11-2009, 04:55 PM
just did print render recently with disco ball.. ended using caustic to make physical correct reflection of light....

toby
06-11-2009, 06:14 PM
They don't create volumetric effects that bounce at the real angles the actual effect does.

I guess my real question is "Is there a plugin or a something that will let me make these effects in a realistic simulation? No cheating or putting lights inside balls with holes cut out? That cheat doesn't really create beams bouncing off mirrors at angles. It just makes starburst like FX.

So I was right it can't be simulated currently on LW?
Caustics illuminating volumetrics would be extremely render intensive no matter how you do it, unless it is a fake.

Try this type of volumetric : (towards the end)
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96036&
Motion blurred geometry - so naturally caustics will affect it.

Only other way I can think of are either a large faint HV volume that fills the room, may be affected by caustics, or a volumetric point light, see if the caustics affect that, but I doubt it.

If you were to fake it you'd do something like add luxigons to the discoball and drive them with expressions. A good scripter could do it.

toby
06-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Wooohooo! Everybody to the dancefloor!
This took about 10 minutes, with 64 passes motion blur. Colored the mirror surface with procedurals and used color filter.

Problem is, as soon as the motion blurred plane blocks the object, you won't see any caustics, because there's no way to see caustics hitting the other side. That's why it stops when it gets to a certain height.
Fun though!

SAHiN
06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Just place spotlights in a scene with projection image map of "Chand_df " that comes with LW content.. There u go..

I promise it will render faster and u can control the movement. :)