PDA

View Full Version : Pivot orientations drivin me crazy

skywalker113
06-10-2009, 10:44 PM
I am trying to rig this walking machine. The problem is, when I convert all of the skelegons to bones in layout, all of the pivot points are messed up.

If I change between local and parent coordinate systems, some bones will be ok while others are not. What could I have done wrong?

I learned that if I position the legs directly parallel to the x axis in modeler, the pivot points will turn out ok, but I have 4 legs in a X type of formation. So they cant all be parallel to the z or x axis.

I tried copying 2 sets of legs in layout, (seperate layer from the body) that were parallel to the x axis in modeler. Then rotating them to make the other pair of legs. Although I want to keep everything in one layer. So duplicating them in layout will be easy, in case I want more then one walker.

SplineGod
06-11-2009, 02:26 AM
load a leg in as a separate object in layout thats oriented along the z axis.
Put the bones in using the draw bones tool etc. Layout doesnt have a problem with
funky bone axis like you can get using skelegons.
Save that as a scene file.
In a new scene load in the head of the walking machine.
Use load from scene to load in a leg.
Piosition the leg where it needs to go and parent it to the head of the walker.
Do that 3 more times so all 4 legs are loaded in and assigned.
Once the bones are all rested they will work fine for each leg.
If you walk to make duplicate walkers select the walkers head and use clone
heirarchy.

RebelHill
06-11-2009, 03:54 AM
you need to orient your skelegons properly in modeler using the dotted blue handles... then in layout, just convert, and record pivot on them all.

RebelHill
06-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Actually, just watch the second of the 3 vids here;

www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99024

on bone creation and orientation, will explain it all for you.

SplineGod
06-11-2009, 05:34 AM
You can also use the bone twist tool in layout.
It works two ways:
If you are parent orientation mode bone twist works like bone bone-up handles in modeler: You change the handle on the parent to effect the child.
If you are in local orientation mode you use bone twist on the actual bone you want to adjust then use record pivot rotation to make the new orientation.

skywalker113
06-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the help

Giacomo99
06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Just to stick my oar in: Skelegons are generally a huge headache, and every time I tried to rig using them I ended up wasting tremendous amounts of time adjusting bone rotations in Layout. My advice is to set up your bones in Layout if it's at all possible.

It was slightly more awkward at first, mainly because of the visual confusion caused by being unable to "turn off" areas of the model I wasn't rigging, but in the end it was just about a million times easier to break the model into Layout-friendly sub-units than to use skelegons.