PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Suface gives strange results

Paul_Boland
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi Folks.

I've modeled a very basic starship and have applied a surface called Terran Hull to the majority of the ship. With Smooth Sufacing turned off, the ship has some edges. So I turned on Smooth Surface but it has resulted in a very strange effect (see attached pic). Can anyone give me some idea of how to smooth the surface without these strange effects?

JeffrySG
06-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Paul, you need to adjust the smoothness setting. It defaults to 89deg. Try putting in a value of 20deg or so. If you adjust it while you have a shaded opengl view onscreen you can see it update. You want to adjust it so all the curved areas appear smooth but the hard edges appear sharp. Keep on tweaking it until you're happy.

That ship is so low poly that you might have trouble getting all of the areas they way you want them to be. You can also separate some polys to keep them sharp or give it different surfaces and adjust the smoothness differently for each surface.

zippitt
06-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Typically adjusting the angle of the smoothing will result in a cleaner smooth.

Sometimes though, because it looks like you did a boolean operation resulting in ngons, you may have to triple your polygons and then play with the smoothing angle.

Nangleator
06-10-2009, 02:05 PM
It kinda has some charm without the smoothing, given the low-poly look of it to begin with. Kind of like Lego Star Wars.

IMI
06-10-2009, 07:15 PM
EDIT:
I just noticed zippitt had already said what I just deleted. :o

Paul_Boland
06-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks very much, that worked great, much appreciated.