PDA

View Full Version : Golf Course Topography

AdamAvenali
06-10-2009, 06:54 AM
hey all,

i have a situation where i need to recreate the topography of a golf course. i thought it was going to be pretty straight forward, but i was wrong haha. i have the CAD lines for the topography from the architect, but i'm not sure what steps are the easiest to take at this point. i was thinking of either painting a displacement map or taking the CAD lines and making a pretty elaborate spline cage. i'm looking for any suggestions and advice you may have!

thanks,
adam

Otterman
06-10-2009, 08:37 AM
I would of thought the easiest and quickest way of throwing this together would be to use several image maps on a high density displacement mesh. Google earth to give you reference to the general lay of the land followed by a couple of prodcedurals for general turf and furrows then add additional layers for the fairways, bunkers and greens using your cad data to smooth, elevate or depress these areas out accordingly. Then again, i will avoid modeling at all costs....I simple dont have the patience

Will be interested to see how this gos....good luck!

Silkrooster
06-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Just a thought and not totally sure if it can be done. If you have an illustration program it might accept one of the cad formats. Save the file as ai or eps then bring it in that way.

THREEL
06-13-2009, 10:05 PM
I did a test with some collision objects to represent the hills and a plane with some fixed points and ClothFX. With some gravity, you may get the valleys, too.

JonW
06-13-2009, 10:29 PM
There are some DWG to DXF converters. They work in general but not always. You usually get about a dozen conversions before you need to purchased. Then you can bring it in via LWcad if you have it.

For a long time now I have found CAD file are very badly draw by architects & 99% of the time they are only 2d, let alone 3d, I have less problems importing them into LW via Illustrator 8 files.

You could try a DWG to PDF convertor, sometimes they work. Then import into Photoshop & use this image in the view port background in LW. This can work well when drawings are a dogs breakfast & you only need basic information.

AdamAvenali
06-16-2009, 11:55 AM
hey everyone,

sorry, i totally forgot i started this thread haha thanks for the information. i am still trying a few different ideas to see which is the easiest to reproduce again if a bigger project comes along.

i guess i should have mentioned i have the option to use some other software if necessary. i have maya 2009, autocad LT, and lightwave 9.6 at my disposal. i guess i just thought that someone would have made a tool by now to take the contour lines of a topo map and basically patch them like you would a spline cage.

JonW: i hear ya man. i especially love it when the plan and elevation do not line up.