View Full Version : LightWave Mac v9.6 Hotfix/Cocoa Update - 9 Jun 2009

06-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Hi, Mac 'Wavers! :)

Welcome to this week's progress note on our Mac development activities!

Hotfix/Cocoa LightWave v9.6.x: Multi-platform bug squashing has continued at a good pace, but the Cocoa conversion work has taken a brief pause while our Mac experts participate in the work toward integrating the v9.6.x/Cocoa build line into our production build systems. This is a necessary step toward increasing the pace of our internal testing, commencing testing with the beta group, and then eventually being able to go to wider testing (such as HardCORE, and potentially an Open Beta for non-HardCORE members, if management approves our request). In other words, this is an important milestone along the way to eventual release of this maintenance update and Cocoa conversion.

We hope to have that build system integration work wrapped up this week. Next week the team gathers in San Antonio, and given that we have a lot of planning and design to work on, time for coding may be limited. This means we're likely to come to the week of June 22 with the estimate still standing at about four to eight weeks out from beta release, subject to change based on the issues encountered.

Factoid: right now the change list includes over 100 entries. More than half of those represent fixes for reported bugs. A number of the individual "feature change" entries actually represent a huge scope of work that sums up a lot of tasks, such as:

Conversion of Mac codebase from Carbon API to Cocoa API. Code also adapted for 64-bit architecture support.

That line alone sums up many months of work from multiple team members, and hundreds, if not thousands, of specific tasks, and enough lines of code to make your head hurt.

We should be able to do a status update post next week, but if things are a little hectic and we're late a day or so, please bear with us! :)

Please Keep Those Bug Reports Coming: Getting in reports on any bugs you may have encountered but not yet reported is very important. Don't forget to include steps and content, as they are needed to insure that we can duplicate your bug properly and get it fixed. For those of you who need a refresher as to how to report bugs, check this link:

Instructions for Bug Report and Feature Request Database (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73227)

06-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Great news Chuck! Cheers! :)

CGI Addict
06-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Really good news guys, keep it up.

06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
This sounds great to me...looking forward to the new side of things.

06-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Chuck, any word on when a 64-bit-compatible SDK for Mac will be made available? As I understand it, most plugins won't need changing to work with 32-bit Cocoa UB, but face the usual 64-bit changes (as on Windows) to work on 64-bit Cocoa UB.

If that's so, then in order for plugin developers to begin the trek towards supporting 64-bit Cocoa UB, they'll need a 64-bit Mac SDK. Giving them some idea of when they'll be able to start the port would help them plan ahead. It also seems like the earliest point we can (productively) start pushing them to support 64-bit UB.

So, will the first betas include SDK? Or is that on a different schedule, and if so, when?


06-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Actually, the 9.6 LW SDK (already available to developers) has everything they need to begin 64-bit Mac development. They just can't test their creations until the 64-bit Mac LW applications are available to them.

Given that the question has come up, we will certainly be reviewing the existing LW SDK to see if better documentation is needed in order to make developers aware of this; if that's the case we'll make any improvements needed.

There are a few updates to the LW SDK coming as part of the Cocoa development, but nothing they have to wait for.