PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Preset Shelf: WHEN?

UnCommonGrafx
06-09-2009, 03:10 PM
People keep mentioning this and I am finding that it is becoming comical trying to find THAT sweet spot with all the possible settings. To that end, I am adding my voice to the chorus:
Please add a preset shelf to the rendering settings. Hecky darn, just make it a save load thingy.

My FogBugz on the issue:
<quote>
23413 (https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?23413_3i3u)
Opened 6/9/2009 (Today) 3:43 PM
With the power of the Renderer as it is today, please make me throw away my snips of papers, stop testing my memory and please implement a preset shelf for the Rendering portion of LightWave.
Thanks!
Robert</quote>

toby
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Heck yea!

JeffrySG
06-09-2009, 05:42 PM
:agree:

Kuzey
06-10-2009, 04:59 AM
It would be great to have one for both Image world and textured environment...so we can save our hdri images/settings as presets.

Kuzey

Matt
06-10-2009, 06:41 AM
This should have been done instead of Render Globals in my book.

I think I'll take another look at my Save Render Settings Script to see if I can get it to modify render settings of the open scene, that way I could add loading / saving dead easy.

UnCommonGrafx
06-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Chuckle,
Like that you like being loved, Matt.
hehe

Matt
06-10-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm all about the lovin' :D

biliousfrog
06-10-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm also surprised that there's no 'save render size' feature...if you regularly need to render to print you either memorize the sizes or add to the configs...it's the same ol' NewTek issue of concentrating on new features rather than workflow...I guess the clue's in the name.

Matt
06-10-2009, 07:19 AM
I'm also surprised that there's no 'save render size' feature...if you regularly need to render to print you either memorize the sizes or add to the configs...it's the same ol' NewTek issue of concentrating on new features rather than workflow...I guess the clue's in the name.

Or use this script ...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=788244&postcount=16

:D

biliousfrog
06-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Or use this script ...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=788244&postcount=16

:D

:bowdown:

Cageman
06-10-2009, 03:00 PM
This should have been done instead of Render Globals in my book.

Uh... what!?

Matt
06-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Uh... what!?

Instead of the 'Render Globals' feature that was added, I too wish the time had been spent on presets for render settings in some way, whether through the Preset Shelf or as a editable popup list in Render Properties.

Would have been more useful, I mean, does _anyone_ use Render Globals? To this day I still find it awkward.

Cageman
06-10-2009, 03:39 PM
Instead of the 'Render Globals' feature that was added, I too wish the time had been spent on presets for render settings in some way, whether through the Preset Shelf or as a editable popup list in Render Properties.

Would have been more useful, I mean, does _anyone_ use Render Globals? To this day I still find it awkward.

I use it allways... what is your suggestion where to put GI and general rendersettings?

Hmm... actually... it would be pretty usefull to have that in the camera properties panel. Each camera can have its own GI-settings, rendersettings and, of course, it's own output directory for rendered files...

Is that what you would prefer? :)

Matt
06-10-2009, 05:04 PM
I use it allways... what is your suggestion where to put GI and general rendersettings?

Hmm... actually... it would be pretty usefull to have that in the camera properties panel. Each camera can have its own GI-settings, rendersettings and, of course, it's own output directory for rendered files...

Yes please, something like that! :)

Cageman
06-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Yes please, something like that! :)

I agree...thinking about it further, it would be really usefull actually!

:)

toby
06-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Ditto, I'll have the gi panel open, then when I want to change raytracing or output path I'll hit the render options key... whoops, just closed the window, again!

gerry_g
06-16-2009, 04:17 PM
It would be great to have one for both Image world and textured environment...so we can save our hdri images/settings as presets.

For Texture Environment just copy the texture onto a regular object surface and save that instead, going the other way is easy just double click the saved preset to load it direct. What I find strange though is if you look into the Presets structure for Texture Environment within the program folder itself you'll find a 'workspace' designation just as in any other section of the library but it doesn't function

IMI
06-17-2009, 02:43 AM

Hell yeah! :thumbsup:
I can't tell you how many times I've thought to myself how useful it would be to have separate render settings for each camera. And to be able to save those settings out to a file along with the camera, not just the scene as a whole.

zardoz
06-17-2009, 04:04 AM
if we had render settings per camera maybe it would be easier to setup render passes...
we could have copies of the main camera and different settings for each copy like, 2nd camera render with wireframes, 3rd camera with occlusion, no shadows, etc,...

Kuzey
06-17-2009, 05:51 AM
For Texture Environment just copy the texture onto a regular object surface and save that instead, going the other way is easy just double click the saved preset to load it direct. What I find strange though is if you look into the Presets structure for Texture Environment within the program folder itself you'll find a 'workspace' designation just as in any other section of the library but it doesn't function

Interesting approach, don't you still need to set it up in Texture Environment once the image gets loaded into the program...unless I was doing something wrong.

I was thinking of creating some dummy Lw scenes with just hdri setups and then use a text editor to copy the settings to the scene you want. Then when you open that scene, everything is ready to go.

Kuzey

gerry_g
06-17-2009, 06:09 AM
You need to activate Texture environment and pull up the surface editor first obviously, I regularly do this to save out gradient backdrops and it works just fine, never tried HDR's tho' I read about this technique years ago so it's an old trick, I seem to remember the suggestion was to place a null in the scene and us its entry in the surface editor as a proxy for the texture/image you want to save out using copy and paste as I described above.

Kuzey
06-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Got it working...I was trying to copy a layer from the Texture environment's texture editor directly to the surface name in the surface editor...silly me :D

Kuzey

DrStrik9
06-19-2009, 10:50 PM
I just keep a stack of notes littered all around my desk. :-)

digefxgrp
06-21-2009, 05:06 AM
If you want to save BG environments from Image World, Textured Environment, SkyTracer2, Ozone or whatever else you have installed, use Viper.
Open up a Viper window, set up the environment, render a frame (in Viper) and hit the “Add Preset” button (in Viper). It’ll save that environment setting in the proper Preset Directory if you have it set-up correctly.

To save Gradient Backdrop and Fog settings use Al Streets “Fogger” plugin.
http://www.ats-3d.com/

-Craig Paup

UnCommonGrafx
06-21-2009, 06:01 AM
You guys have shared enough for me to add:
We need a complete system to save settings, preferably all in one place.
There is so much going on that I can see the former logic that said: build a scene and make that your base. That doesn't work any more because settings in the scene aren't so concrete from scene to scene.

Also, it sounds like a few things in the system are broken. Having images not show up after a save is quite maddening. Anyone post that as a bug yet?

Kuzey
06-21-2009, 02:58 PM
If you want to save BG environments from Image World, Textured Environment, SkyTracer2, Ozone or whatever else you have installed, use Viper.
Open up a Viper window, set up the environment, render a frame (in Viper) and hit the “Add Preset” button (in Viper). It’ll save that environment setting in the proper Preset Directory if you have it set-up correctly.

To save Gradient Backdrop and Fog settings use Al Streets “Fogger” plugin.
http://www.ats-3d.com/

-Craig Paup

I must say I don't like that option at all...I guess I might be doing something wrong. I enable viper, open it's window, press render and nothing happens....I just get "complete in 56ms" or some such number. The funny thing is, a normal render takes 7ms to complete.

So the question is, can it be possible to save the preset without having to wait for the render to finish. This also could be a bug in LW UB 9.6.

Otherwise...that would have been neat :D

Kuzey