PDA

View Full Version : Newtek Not Listed For SIGGRAPH 2009.

evolross
06-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know if Newtek is officially going to be an exhibitor at SIGGRAPH 2009?

I just checked the advance program and Netwek isn't listed... :stumped:

http://www.siggraph.org/s2009/AdvanceProgram.pdf See page 54.

If they're not going, that means no Newtek booth with demos and possibly no public announcement of any new technology (like a CORE update).

Another interesting note is PILGWAY, makers of 3D-Coat, will be there. Looks like they're moving up in the world.

Cohen
06-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't see luxology either...

Mike_RB
06-09-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't see luxology either...

Luxology usually holds their own party and then sets up shop at an intel pod for demos.

AdamAvenali
06-09-2009, 01:49 PM
yeah that is odd. maybe they dont want to be rushed by everyone wondering what is going to be in core :) i noticed that pixologic isnt on there either.

AbnRanger
06-09-2009, 02:58 PM
yeah that is odd. maybe they dont want to be rushed by everyone wondering what is going to be in core :) i noticed that pixologic isnt on there either.With a tough economy, I am not terribly surprised, given they are knee deep in developing CORE...so very little to reveal that hasn't been already.

cresshead
06-09-2009, 03:08 PM
maybe with the economy in the state it's in and core no way near it's release date newtek are doing an 'atari' [who didn't show at E3 this year] and keeping their heads low and just taking money for products via their website rather than spending money on a show where they would have little to 'show' in regards of CORE as yet.

Nicolas Jordan
06-09-2009, 03:10 PM
If I remember correctly it seems every year there is a thread that starts up saying Newtek is not on the list for Siggraph but ultimately they always end up being there.

UnCommonGrafx
06-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Nicholas,
I was gonna say the same thing.

Now, just saying you said what I wanted to say.

In the past, this is where you got to meet the guys doing the tech. Don't believe so many are doing that anymore. Isn't it in NO this year? I may have to go...

AdamAvenali
06-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Isn't it in NO this year?

yep! even more reason to go :thumbsup:

AbnRanger
06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
yep! even more reason to go :thumbsup:
I think it's a stupid idea, actually...the bulk of the industry has to travel clear across the country to what was a cesspool of a city just a year or two ago. That and the bad economy will spell the worst turnout in a long time, if not ever

Titus
06-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Wow! reading the advanced program I can see this year is all about games.

And about NT, well we always whine how bad their presentation was, or is just me?

UnCommonGrafx
06-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Wrap the idea around the word "Party" and the attendance could be higher than its been in a while.

I think it's a stupid idea, actually...the bulk of the industry has to travel clear across the country to what was a cesspool of a city just a year or two ago. That and the bad economy will spell the worst turnout in a long time, if not ever

AdamAvenali
06-09-2009, 04:57 PM

that statement was really more of a self-interjection haha i'm trying to talk myself into going.

Matt
06-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Is that list final? I can't imagine NewTek missing SIGGRAPH, I hope not anyway.

JeffrySG
06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Even Apple will not be attending MacWorld any more. When times are this tough companies really re-asses their tradeshow schedules. If they are not going it could save them big cash which they might need for other areas right now. We'll see...

UnCommonGrafx
06-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm betting that they aren't suffering too much at the moment. I'm also betting that the tax write off and the income made on the Tricaster line as of late could easily make the fees for siggraph worth it.
They've had leaner times and still been there.

We are, though, just speculating against each others speculation. hehe

evolross
06-09-2009, 11:03 PM
It was also an "advance" program. Not all the distributors may be listed yet.

The point of my thread though was that I was hoping Netwek would chime in and actually confirm their presence at the conference.

Dexter2999
06-10-2009, 01:11 AM
I said it in another thread and I stand by it. I hope they skip SIGGRAPH this year.
CORE isn't ready to show off in an environment where it will be going head to head with the big boys.
9.6 had some nice improvements over last year, but really are they enough to justify the ballyhoo of SIGGRAPH?
SIGGRAPH isn't really the demographic for Tricaster is it? That would be more like NAB and INFOCOM.

Major developers are bucking the trend. You don't HAVE to be at a show every year. Some of the big boys skipped NAB and are skipping it's European counterpart, IBC, as well. Apple skipped MACWORLD for cryin' out loud. Companies are getting tired of having these shows press them to announce or rush a release to make the show.

Newtek, don't feel pressured to show if you aren't ready.

Spend the money where it will do the most good.

Nemoid
06-15-2009, 12:02 PM
I agree if Newtek doesn't have something cool to show this year, its way better saving money and time, and keep coding CORE :thumbsup:

Nicolas Jordan
06-15-2009, 12:04 PM
I think they should get Dick Van Dyke on stage again, he was great to have at the 2004 Siggraph! :thumbsup:

evolross
06-16-2009, 12:51 PM
Just got an email from Tarek Hassan from Newtek's Northeast Sales Department saying the following:

At this time, we have no plans on attending Siggraph 2009. We will update as we learn more.

So it looks like they aren't going to be there. Which is fine with me, it's more of a reason to skip this year's event. And I agree, it leaves more time to keep on coding CORE!

cresshead
06-16-2009, 02:13 PM
yeah get back to coding CORE..or if jay roth visits siggy then take notes from any cool tech there and throw that in core as well!

oobievision
06-16-2009, 02:19 PM
New Orleans should be fun this year!

Nicolas Jordan
06-17-2009, 08:50 AM
If they have to miss a year this would be the year to miss since we are in more of a dark transition period at the moment between Ligthwave and Lightwave Core. They can always make up for the no show in 2009 with a strong 2010 or 2011 showing.

cresshead
06-17-2009, 11:38 AM
yeah i think that's their plan 2010 'year of the core'

kohlrabi_croce
06-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Speaking as somebody who works at a convention center, what the companies are doing these days is just downsize. The shows are smaller,
the booths are smaller. However I would say the convention trade is
starting to pick up again. In May I worked so much that I'm looking forward to my summer break.

Titus
06-19-2009, 08:06 AM
Apple skipped MACWORLD for cryin' out loud. Companies are getting tired of having these shows press them to announce or rush a release to make the show.

Apples and oranges :D. Apple is a master of publicity, NewTek in the other side...

Philbert
06-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Hmm two big reasons to justify me saving the money for the trip were the NewTek and Pilgway booths. Now just Pilgway of those two...

cresshead
06-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Hmm two big reasons to justify me saving the money for the trip were the NewTek and Pilgway booths. Now just Pilgway of those two...

admit it you'll be pulled into the autodesk village as well....gotta have a snoop around "the dark side" of all things 3d...long live the empire!:D

Titus
06-23-2009, 08:14 PM
admit it you'll be pulled into the autodesk village as well....

They have cool parties.

Philbert
06-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Last Siggraph I went to was 2004 to be honest. AD had a really huge, but really ugly booth that was right in front of you as you walked in. So I had to purposely avoid it instead of just walking straight in. I found the NT booth and Dick Van Dyke right away! lol

Matt
06-24-2009, 05:55 AM
Just got an email from Tarek Hassan from Newtek's Northeast Sales Department saying the following:

At this time, we have no plans on attending Siggraph 2009. We will update as we learn more.

So it looks like they aren't going to be there. Which is fine with me, it's more of a reason to skip this year's event. And I agree, it leaves more time to keep on coding CORE!

If indeed this is the plan, I think it's a good one. It means NewTek don't have to:

a) Rush the dev team to get something to show (which won't be finished enough to justify showing)

b) Leaves more time to get the product right for the first proper release

c) Saves some much needed cash for next year

Looks like lessons have been learned from the whole CORE reveal, which is a good thing.

colkai
06-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Agree, don't waste time on a show when you can focus on the product. From what I gather, it's not like it's been any great shakes as of late anyhoo. (The show that is, not the product :p)

G-Man
06-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I feel that Newtek would be better off not going to Siggraph and adopting the same strategy that Luxology does by getting demo artists into other company's PODS. It takes a huge amount of money to attend. They would be better served beefing up their website with demos, interviews etc. The last couple of years I have been at Siggraph, the Newtek booth was a ghost town. I think with Autodesk buying everyone up, it will eventually be called "AutoGraph" It isn't a sign of failure to not attend, Apple and AVID both pulled out of NAB and Apple has pulled out of it's own party, Macworld.

Everyone knows what Lightwave is about, save the money and make a splash with CORE.

BTW, I predict this to be the worst turnout in SIGGRAPH history, except for the 80 or so people that started the thing. Maybe the SIGGRAPH committee will get a clue and keep it near a place where the industry lives.

Philbert
06-25-2009, 12:02 AM
I don't mind Siggraph moving around. It makes it cheaper for me to get there when they're not on the west coast.

BeeVee
07-17-2009, 03:03 PM
NewTek has opted not to attend SIGGRAPH in New Orleans this year. We have elected to focus all our efforts this summer on development AND (you heard it here first) an exclusive event planned for the west coast in Q4. As we have further details on our Q4 extravaganza we will post them here. We look forward to seeing you then.

B

hazmat777
07-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I'd love to be there. Can't wait for more news on the event! :)

P.S. Can you make it the Pacific North West? I'm really broke right now with my school loans coming due. :D

Snosrap
07-17-2009, 08:14 PM
NewTek has opted not to attend SIGGRAPH in New Orleans this year. We have elected to focus all our efforts this summer on development AND (you heard it here first) an exclusive event planned for the west coast in Q4. As we have further details on our Q4 extravaganza we will post them here. We look forward to seeing you then.

B

West coast, east coast, northeast, northwest, southeast, southwest - when will get something cool like Siggraph the Newtek Q4 extravaganza or E3 in the CG capitol of the world, Toledo Ohio! We get the Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic Golf Tournament.:neener:

AdamAvenali
07-17-2009, 08:56 PM
West coast, east coast, northeast, northwest, southeast, southwest - when will get something cool like Siggraph the Newtek Q4 extravaganza or E3 in the CG capitol of the world, Toledo Ohio! We get the Jamie Farr Owens Corning Classic Golf Tournament.:neener:

hahaha at least we get the Memorial Tournament and the #1 zoo in the country :D

Auger
07-20-2009, 08:29 PM

Newtek launches CORE at Tony Packo's...sounds good to me! :beerchug: