PDA

View Full Version : Workflow

Rabbitpenny
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure how to achieve the best workflow. I have a number of rigged characters that are used in a number of different scenes.

The rigged characters have their own dedicated scene in which they are stored.

My problem is how to make the character's surface attributes (saved with the object, not scene) specific to each scene. Since each scene seems to require some surface tweaking, it can become irksome. How do you all handle this? Thanks for helping.

IMI
06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
The surface attributes are specific to the model, not the scene. If I'm understanding you correctly, you'd need to have different versions of each character for each scene.
The rigged characters are scene-specific because the skeleton/rig is saved as part of the .lws scene file, not the .lwo object file, but as far as I know there's no way to force the surface data to be scene-specific, as it will always be "attached" to your model, regardless of scene.

toby
06-09-2009, 02:51 PM
You could try the Sliders trick, it worked in 7.5 but I think it broke in 8.0. Use the sliders (object properites/add custom object/Sliders) to tweak the surface attributes, and they save with the scene. But most people just save out a new object, then you don't have to deal with it making a slider for every channel and attribute in all the scenes.

When you're in a scene where you see that you need some surface tweaks, just hit 'save object as', give it a new name (add the shot/scene number to it) and save the scene.

*oops too slow

Rabbitpenny
06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I want to make sure I got this. This would help a lot with my workflow.

I have one rigged character scene for each "full scene". I use "load items" to bring into a "full scene". But these original character scene refers back to the same original modeled character (.lwo). So, one way to do this (so I wouldn't have to use "import rig" on a newly labeled object), would be to "load items from scene" to get the rigged character. Then use "save object as" and relabel the .lwo. Did I get it right?

Except I don't see a "save object as" command in Layout. I guess "save current object" and a relabel works?

Rabbitpenny
06-09-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks.