PDA

View Full Version : FPrime

larkis
06-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Are there any users of fprime 3.5 on the mac ? Does it work well ? I want to purchase it but there are no demo version so I'm not sure how much time it will save me. I'm running on an 8 core mac but the worley site says:
"LightWave UB has severe efficiency problems during multithreaded SDK queries. Because of this, FPrime UB currently supports only 2 cores on Mac UB. Newtek is working on this issue now for the next update to LW 9.6."

Does anyone know if newtek fixed this ? Or has CORE development totally taken over any effort to fix bugs in the current LW build ?

hrgiger
06-09-2009, 04:07 AM
Does anyone know if newtek fixed this ? Or has CORE development totally taken over any effort to fix bugs in the current LW build ?

Newtek has said that there will still be bug fixing for 9.6 and they will be free for 9.6 owners. I assume they are planning on a maintenance update.

3dworks
06-09-2009, 04:18 AM
yes, that's a major issue with it... expecting NT to fix it asap.

for the rest, it is definitely much more stable than it used to be until now on osx. it even includes a smart 'anticrash' strategy - so it will not crash layout where it used to do so in previous versions. in such a situation, it will 'freeze' LW for some seconds, then you can resume working with it. this was previously only available to windows users...

even with only 2 threads it is still fast for previewing raytraced effects. it is, however, considerably slowed down when working in montecarlo mode.

Danner
06-09-2009, 04:41 AM
Fprime is totally worth it, even with it's current limitations. (mostly due to LW bugs or the way it implements it's rendering SDK)