PDA

View Full Version : Rocks Fall and Pile Up

GM_Anim
06-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi folks,

I have been away from Lightwave for sometime ... in fact my version of LW is 7.5! Ugh.

I need to create an animation where a bunch of rocks fall out of an opening and then pile up on the ground and around a structure. Can anybody give me any suggestions how I might accomplish this? Any good tutorials on-line for this? Remember I am stuck in the old ages on 7.5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glen

Matt
06-08-2009, 07:39 PM
7.5, whoah! I'd have to load it up to even remember what was and wasn't in it! Sorry, not much help really!

Mr Rid
06-08-2009, 11:54 PM
I dont know if you are talking about small or big rocks or how many or how close the camera is.

For larger chunks, I never figured it out, but I recall that someone had a tut on how to get motion designer meshes to act like solid, non-flexy objects.

For a bunch of smaller, basically roundish rocks, use particles, enter a size so they can self collide (click 'calculate'), and then apply HVs for the rocks that are the same size as the particle so it looks about right... at least I think you could do that in 7.5.

OnlineRender
06-09-2009, 01:32 AM
ahhh 7.5 that's what they used in my old college , trying to think , theres a free rock pack in obj format on the torque forums somewhere you will need to search , you could use the tut from Proton that shows sweat running down a characters face , same physics and add a colision around your object so it the rocks stay in shot . if you use blender theres a physic game engine built in that would work it all out for you . just a suggestion . sorry couldn't help anymore

GM_Anim
06-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Okay, I am thinking that I would need to start with a particle emitter, is that correct?

As an update, the falling items are not rocks now but potatoes!!! I assume that doesn't change the general technique although it would effect the dynamics.

The size of the potatoes will vary by perhaps as much as 25% and the camera will be fairly close so the potatoes do need to look very potatoe-ish. :)

Glen