PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Render Outlines Problem

aaronv2
06-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Im using a shape i have rail extruded to make aome truss for a visualization of a lighting rig... but the thickness of the "rails" change with distance.

In the attachment I have illustrated what I mean the outline size is set to -5 however that measurement doesnt stay uniform. The closer the camera gets the smaller the rails get. The opposite occurs of course the further away the object is from the camera. Moving a fair distance away the outlines just become a thick mess.

Is there anyway to combat this issue without having the physically rail extrude all those paths so I don't have to worry about it.

Amurrell
06-08-2009, 11:25 AM
It's an optical illusion. Your rails are the same thickness regardless of the distance from the camera, it is the separation of the rails that are either further apart or closer together depending on the distance to the camera as perspective demands. A simple test to see this would be to use a ruler with millimeter markings or the old fashioned piece of paper up against the screen mark the thikness of the rails closest to you and then measure the distant rails and compare the size. This is what I did. Unfortunately, if you want proper scale of your rails to follow along with perspective, you'll have to use an extrusion method as Oliver had said.

Exception
06-11-2009, 09:01 AM
The '3d' edges functions in LW are not official, they're there as a little experiment. Since they're not complete... as you've noticed they do not actually have perspective correction.

You might be better off using normal edges, when you turn on 'shrink with distance' that works.

danielkaiser
06-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Why not just model it? start with a single part, then use radial array to clone it.