PDA

View Full Version : displacement nodes with sub div set to last

littlewaves
06-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Is this a bug or is it just how it works?

If you load a subD object with morphs then generally you set the sub division order of that object to last and you get nice smooth morph displacement right? You also get same smoothness when using textured displacement from the dropdown in the object properties and sub d set to last

on the other hand if I use the node editor or bump displacement I can't seem to find the correct setting to get this to work.

I can set the sub D to before the displacement and get lots of detail but say I want to get that smoothness back? For example if I'm using the displacement editor to do something with morph maps.

If I set sub d to last in this case the displacement just goes away alltogether.

am I making any sense?

littlewaves
06-06-2009, 05:36 PM
just to abbreviate what I'm basically saying is that nodal displacement doesn't seem to work if the sub d or the object is set to last (or anywhere after displacement)

JeffrySG
06-06-2009, 09:59 PM
just to abbreviate what I'm basically saying is that nodal displacement doesn't seem to work if the sub d or the object is set to last (or anywhere after displacement)

Well if it's set to after the displacement then the displacement map would be displacing huge polys and not showing any detail but possibly moving the polys very slightly and then the subd is happening so I don't think you see the detail ever. Isn't that the way it would work? You need the high poly count for you to ever see the displacement working.

littlewaves
06-07-2009, 03:16 AM
Well if it's set to after the displacement then the displacement map would be displacing huge polys and not showing any detail but possibly moving the polys very slightly and then the subd is happening so I don't think you see the detail ever. Isn't that the way it would work? You need the high poly count for you to ever see the displacement working.

I'll try and post an example later on but basically I've tested with a plane (which has plenty of polys to start with before subpatching)

If I use "textured displacement" from the drop down and use turbulence then I have the choice of setting sub d to first or last . Obviously they have very different results as intended but both have very visible results.

However if I use the displacement node editor (or bump displacement from surface node editor) and apply turbulence it only works with sub d set to before the displacement.

littlewaves
06-07-2009, 04:50 AM
I should probabl have done a bit more experimenting before I posted here.

turns out you can do certain things in displacement node editor with the sub d set to last.

it depends where you get the direction of the displacement from. Can't seem to get it to work with the normal output of the spot info node but can if using a morph map to drive the displacement or if say you take a turbulence node and plug it into a scale vector node and set the vector manually in that node to y-axis (working with a plane object).

maybe there's a reason for this but anyway a workaround I thought of would be to use point normal move in modeler to make a "normal move" morph and then use that in the disp node editor.

Ah who knows.