PDA

View Full Version : Object count limit in version 9.6 *.lws scene files?

Scott Gammans
06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I am running into a bizarre problem in LightWave 9.6. I have a scene that has 1,500 objects in it. They're not very large objects--they're ten *.lwo files that are low-poly models of asteroids (~1600 polys each), each cloned 150 times--but the total scene size is about 2.5 million polys.

Here's the bizarre part: The scene loads fine, I see the asteroids I'm expecting to see in Layout, but when I aim my camera at some of the asteroids, they don't render. It's as if they're not even there! I double-checked and the camera's not excluding them, and they're not marked as "unseen". They're just not rendering (and this happens with all of the LightWave cameras).

Is there an upper limit on the number of objects that you can have in a LightWave *.lws scene file?

tefo4321
06-16-2009, 04:30 AM
Hello!
I have the same probleme ..
I think the active flag object is bugging !!!
The "A" (active) in scene editor is active/unactive/.. (When he wants ..)
Please Newtek .. We need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8/

Scott Gammans
06-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Now THAT is interesting. I hadn't thought to check that... will do so when I get home later this evening.

tefo4321
06-19-2009, 03:47 AM
No more news from other users ?
I think this bug is only on big scene ..
(1000 objects and more)
Newtek .. helppppp !!!

Scott Gammans
06-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Hey tefo, it IS a bug... check out this thread:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94493

I finally got around to checking my scene file, and sure enough if I open up the Scene Editor there are hundreds of objects that are unchecked in the "A" column.

It really chaps me that no one from Newtek has bothered to respond to this thread OR the other one linked above.

Scott Gammans
06-25-2009, 01:25 AM
Reinstalled LightWave 8.5 32 and 64-bit... this bug does NOT exist in this ancient (but still capable!) version of LightWave. With LightWave 8.5 64-bit, I'm able to load up my scene file with 5,000 cloned objects (after upping the MaxObjects setting to 5000!) and Layout hardly even breathes hard. All the items in my scene file remain active, and the camera is able to render everything.

tefo4321
06-26-2009, 01:56 AM
Thx Newtek for this impressive bug !!! :/
We need a patch !!!!!!

philippe
07-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Yeah same bug here (9.6) with a scene with more than 1500 objects. 9.3.1 works fine...
Please Newtek, solve this issue, it`s really a nasty bug...
Still waiting for a 9.6 patch !!!

BeeVee
07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Did you report this to lwbugs?

B

philippe
07-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Did you report this to lwbugs?
B
Hi Ben,
no need to report again this bug because it has been corrected in the latest 9.6 beta (hardcore members only :() ...
But i don't get to point, why this beta is only for the people with an HC membership ?
When Newtek is going to release the announced 9.6.1 patch ?
Cheers

Svenart
08-02-2009, 11:16 PM
hello,

I have the same problems with much objects here and have written a small script to turn all objects active...:thumbsup:

philippe
08-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks Svenart !!:thumbsup:

hello,

I have the same problems with much objects here and have written a small script to turn all objects active...:thumbsup:

3dworks
08-17-2009, 03:17 PM
probably the same bug as reported here some time ago: https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?22889_3ovvdmmh

NT, push that 9.6.1 out of the dark!!

cheers

markus

walfridson
08-17-2009, 03:21 PM
probably the same bug as reported here some time ago: https://secure.newtek.com/FogBugz/default.asp?22889_3ovvdmmh

NT, push that 9.6.1 out of the dark!!

cheers

markus

Or just move it to the old non-HC-9.6-beta-testing :devil:

Scott Gammans
10-27-2009, 04:06 PM
I am delighted to report that THIS PROBLEM IS FIXED IN 9.6.1!!

Thank you, Newtek! :D:thumbsup:

Rabbitpenny
10-27-2009, 04:50 PM
hello,

I have had the same problem with large scenes, this script will help. It was a bother to hunt down unchecked parented objects. Thanks.

Argentus
11-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Hello All!

I have run into this problem as well, when I went from 9.3.1(Win 64-bit) to 9.6(Win 64-bit), about 4 months ago. I have finally had time to focus on troubleshooting the issue. I am running LW on Windows 7 RC and was concerned it was a Win7 issue, but it doesn’t appear to be.

I often need to create large scenes (90 million+ polys and 7000+ objects) for product walk-throughs. The object files are imported .obj files from Pro-E which are not polygonal models, but use triangles so I end up with huge poly counts...

The problem occurs when the object count exceeds 1024 objects. As people have said, the objects are set to be 'Active' but when you save and close LightWave and re-open the scene any objects that were added after the 1024th object will be set to 'Inactive' when opened. The scene code does not have the 'ItemActive 0' variable for those objects to tell Layout to make it 'Inactive'.

The problem seems to be caused by a default setting when the 'ItemActive' variable is not set and the scene goes over 1024 objects. If you insert 'ItemActive 1' in the .lws file for those objects not loading, everything will load fine. The easiest way to set this variable is to 'select all' in the scene editor and uncheck everything then save it. Open the file in notepad or whatever, and do a replace 'ItemActive 0' with 'ItemActive 1'. This will be the final step, because if you save the scene it will remove the 'ItemActive 1' variable and the problem will re-appear. The major down side is if you wanted something hidden for one reason or another, you will now have to find the item and reset it to 'Inactive', which is a pain when you have a large amount of objects. Just remember NOT TO SAVE!

Does anyone know of a way to have Layout insert 'ItemActive 1' in to scene code when something is set 'Active' instead of letting Layout use the default Active setting?

I have used LWHC 10 build 2005 and the problem doesn't exist. And everything is fine in 9.3.1. Something has changed in the way the object activation is handled when the ‘ItemActive’ variable is not present, i.e. the object is active. I would use LWHC 10, but I don't have access to HC at work, only at home. So that option is out for me.

I am going to submit this to lwbugs in hopes for a fix, since I seem to have narrowed down the problem.

-Argentus
LightWave user since v4... Has it really been that long!? :)

Scott Gammans
11-05-2009, 05:38 PM
I must be missing something here. Why would you want to report a bug when it's been fixed in version 9.6.1 which is in beta right now?

Argentus
11-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I had called customer support and they had asked that I report what I have found. The only betas I have found are the LightWave HardCore and Core betas, so I had thought 9.6.1 was referring to the original 9.6 which still has the problem. I have just found the link for the beta. I will try it out.

Scott Gammans
11-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Great... be sure to post whether it fixes your problem!

Argentus
11-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Yup, the beta addresses the problem. I was so focused on my joy from figuring out what was causing the issue, I didn't even think to do a search on 9.6.1 BETA. lol

Thanks!