PDA

View Full Version : How is LW now?

Morbius
06-04-2009, 05:54 PM
I've been a longtime LW user (since it was only with the Toaster package), but I stopped working with it around version 7.

The main complaints I had were:

-Poor character rigging
-Slow SSS
-Quirky Cloth Simulation (popping and jittering)

I've since tried to learn Softimage and even Blender. I respect both of those apps, but my heart has always been with LW, but it seemed (at the time) LW just hasn't kept up and my main interest is in character animation.

Now that Soft is with Autodesk and its future is uncertain, I still haven't fully grasped Blender's interface and Modo doesn't seem to be getting character animation tools for at least another version I'm looking at LW again as one of my only options.

Soft has great character animation tools, and both the Mental ray and Modo render engines are fast and handle SSS well.

I don't know how Newtek does it. With Autodesk buying up all the major apps, modo slowly catching up in features and Blender making great inroads to the industry, how is LW looking for the future?

So with all that in mind, how is LW these days? Is it worth jumping back on board?

shrox
06-04-2009, 06:06 PM
Lightwave is now paper and pencil based. You join objects with staples, and texturing is done with spray paint or non toxic markers.

Of course Lightwave is better than before! The new shaders and faster rendering with radiosity is great! Download the trail version and see if you like it.

RebelHill
06-04-2009, 06:14 PM
-Poor character rigging

oh no... see my sig, i say.

Stunt Pixels
06-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Poor character rigging
A lot of improvements in 8, and heaps going through to 9.5. RebelHill have a great set of video tutorials on rigging coming out soon. You can get a preview here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=887391&postcount=1). Also, check out his rigging reel (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=881199&postcount=1)to see where LW rigging can go now.

Slow SSS

A lot of speed improvements. Like Shrox said, download the demo and have a play.

Quirky Cloth Simulation (popping and jittering)

Ummm, yeah. Still quirky, though somewhat better.

As to the future, Newtek is working on a new version of Lightwave, called Core. It's a totally new application, but until it's a full app will run hand in hand with legacy Lightwave. There's not much information public at the moment (it's on an open Beta and discussion is limited to the Core forums). But the future looks very bright! You can get some info here (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/core/index.php).

Hope that helps.

h2oStudios
06-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Poor Character Rigging? It's the fool not the tool when people think that's the case. Here's another heated debate on LW vs all the Animation Idustry worshiped packages where the original poster never jumps in but everyone else does. Bah! Do some homework with all the stuff that LW has, then come back and tell us why you'd want LW back in your workflow.:)

EDIT: Didn't mean to sound abrasive, but trust me LW's got enough to do what other packs have got. And it's way more straight forward. You having been a LWer before it's probably the reason you want to get back to it. Traitor;).

Morbius
06-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Well I can see that the community has changed some...

Thanks for the help guys. Didn't mean to push any buttons...

h2oStudios
06-04-2009, 07:45 PM

No buttons pushed, Morbius.:) It's just that I think that this forum has seen many a debate on qualities and flaws when it comes to LW vs other 3d packs. Like previous posts have mentioned; get a trial of 9.6 and check it out, along with what other people have been able to accomplish with it. LW has come it's way (with the help of plugs or not), and many talented people have shown that. Check out the plethora of videos & tutorials on the current version of LW, and see how much it has improved since 7.:thumbsup:

AbnRanger
06-05-2009, 06:08 AM

It's much more quiet around here now that CORE is underway